Shortwave listeners?

:scratch2:Ahhh Hamateur radio... Those were the day's. I sure do miss them. I believe it was 1976ish. I was so into Ham Radio, I didn't know anything else existed. It was time for me to get my drivers licence. Everbody was studying the manuals. Me to, except it was the novice ham radio licence manual. My fellow high school student thought I was an Idiot. I told them, "I would rather get the ham licence than the driving permit". I was fortunate enough to get both.

WB7QDU was my tag. I had a heath reciever, and two transmitters. One was heath, and one was an EF Johnson Viking something. I've forgotten the model #'s but they were all tube units. I had coax running out the basement door, and up a tree. I was lucky enough to have two trees, and on telephone pole on the side yard. I cut my enameled wire lengths, and had all the insulators I would need. I went up the center tree, hooked onto a W2AU Balun, Split off to 40 & 80 meter dipoles (wire lengths). I was playing around with trees here, and the wind does blow. So I hooked up some springs on the wire antenna end insulators. The wind would blow, and I would have no problems. What a bunch of fun. I remember working Japan, and collecting the Q-cards. I even still have the EF Johnson rig out in my shed. I seem to have lost my Q-cards though. I still have some old manuals, and some sheets of paper, with some of my CW conversation. It was code then for the Novice. Still remember my tag, .-- -... --... --.- -.. ..- ;)

I was looking at the Heathkit section on ebay. All of a sudden all this radio gear started showing up on the screen. I started feeling the old magic. Then I realized how small the world has gotten, and I can reach into my pocket, and dial Japan on my cell phone. I was a little sad. The world is just to small now. I've still got the magic tucked away in my memories though. I was a much simpler time "those days"...:tears:

Yeah, but hearing that voice coming in through the static from strange and exotic places... that's just plain cool, I don't care who you are.

And all you guys, you're very welcome!

No, I haven't given up fooling around with audio equipment, just had a bunch of things on my plate, including some long, very exhausting work. And the two hurricanes back to back, I'm still catching up with all that. Just two weeks ago finished hauling the last of the yard debris to the dump. I made four trips with a very large Dodge pickup.

And in addition to all that, for those that don't know, after a hurricane all the plants go crazy and grow like you would not believe. Shrubs shoot out long limbs of new growth that you can almost watch them as they grow. Other plants that flowered during the spring are doing the same in the weeks after a hurricane. All that needed pruning back.

So, things are finally slowing down a bit. I'm pooped!

Fisherdude,

The Winradio WR-1550e that I own is an amazing unit, plus they have excellent extras that you can download. The only thing about it that is poor is the CW and SSB reception. I think the BFO isn't working and actually hasn't been working since I got it, Since I use a different radio for my code listening, I never bothered to try and get it fixed. It is GREAT for FM, AM, VHF and UHF work. They no longer make this model and have replaced it with an improved unit. The station memory system is limitless! Update: The BFO IS working fine, I just needed to download the "Ham tuning dial" which gave me the fine tuning I needed to get a clear CW signal. All is well and life is good!

I just bought a grundig multiband SW radio for the heck of it. Whats the best way to pik up SW short of a full outdoor tower. Long wire?

Yes, I have a 20' wire on a Eton (Grundig) S350DL and it does well. Which model did you get?

from what I've read the s350 will pick up decently on FM and MW too, with a little effort. the MW reception is highly directional (that's true of any radio with an internal ferrite rod) and FM can overload in urban areas- just back the antenna off a bit. Enjoy it and let us know how it goes.

I am using the portable antenna from the Grundig Classic, that retro radio they offered that was total trash. It is multistrand. I hooked it to the antenna terminal. Also ran a ground to the ground junction of my ac outlet for the ground and it reduced the noise level. Yes, I know not as good as a dedicated ground.

I have 2 of the DL series and they are good to about 12-15mhz and pretty dead thereafter, my Hallicrafters SW500 that is no great shakes walks over them from about 12hhz and up. The FM and MW is really good. I've gotten a PAL adaptor and just added a ribbon dipole for FM. With the stereo output the going price for these is worth it just for the FM tuner. On MW, it is a good DX'er as good as the Hallicrafters and on some nights even better. I've not experienced any overloading on FM may be a difference between the 2 units. They really do not need the external antenna for most listening but I thought I'd try them. I do not care for the inability to rotate the whip. Makes it more of a challenge to get the antenna set right.

The Grundig/Eton S350DL served me VERY well during the power outage after the hurricanes. Though I had spare batteries, I did not use them. The original 4 alkaline D cells I put in never ran out. I had that radio on 8 hours a day, sometimes longer.

Reception for AM and FM was excellent. You do know, for strong overpowering local stations (which we had none at that time) you can turn down the RF gain with the knob on the lower right of the front panel.

If you want to really boost AM/MW, use tuned loop. Since it has a built in ferrite antenna for AM, no need for any physical connection. Just place the loop antenna next to the S350DL. I have the MTM Scientific AM loop that works GREAT.

http://www.mtmscientific.com/loop.html and if you click Photos and Reviews from Customers, the very first photo on that next page is mine. Mine was built from the plans kit.

There is also a shortwave loop available from MTM. While I have not built the MTM version, I built one using the same tuning capacitor and similar size loop, and it works great with the S350DL. I used a single turn coax pickup loop. This is made by forming the end of the coax into a loop about 10" diameter, and soldering the center conductor back to the shield. This is then connected to the radio. Tune the radio to the desired frequency, then peak the signal with the tuning capacitor on the antenna. You can then tune around that frequency without retuning the capacitor on the antenna over a narrow range.

These MTM antennas work with both the S350DL and the Icom R47. For AM/MW, the Icom will require a pickup loop. There is no built in ferrite for AM.

The MTM SW loop will go up to about 20 mhz.

OH, the S350/S350DL on FM... they don't really need much help on FM. The telescoping whip will do a very good job. I have plugged in my Antennacraft FM6 (rooftop antenna) via the PAL adapter, and connected from the RCA jacks to my stereo system... VERY GOOD AUDIO!

Yes, battery life is excellent. I've been using AAs in the office unit and after some 3 months no showing of weakening. In the home unit I have both sets of batteries but use it on AC. I can use the AAs as a backup in the event the main set give out during a power outage without having to try to find out where I put the spare set.

yeah, that does sound like AM to me. 500KHz-1700KHz. Cause my radio doesn't have a MW band, only AM/FM and 3 SW bands.

I see that now but never heard AM called MW. I learned all my frequency allocations in the US Navy, strictly US stuff. Nothing foreign ever used.

Sub board receivers had it designated as MW. You must have been on the luxury yachts such as aircraft carriers, destroyers, etc.

I see that now but never heard AM called MW. I learned all my frequency allocations in the US Navy, strictly US stuff. Nothing foreign ever used.

Actually that was the usual term here in the US back in the '20's and '30's, when wavelength was more commonly used than frequency.

Back
Top Bottom