Should I be useing a DAC ?

braincramp

I just started streaming Spotify from my computer. Would I really notice a big improvement if I hooked up a good DAC?

It depends on the DAC in your PC and the quality of the data stream. For free Spotify (160kbps) it's likely the onboard DAC is adequate. For the high quality streaming option (320kbps) you will probably hear a difference. IME most onboard computer DAC's leave a lot to be desired sound quality wise. When fed a signal of sufficient quality an external DAC will usually outperform any built in DAC.

I stream music from the web via Spotify and various web radio stations. I use them mostly for discovering new source material. For serious listening I prefer the FLAC files I've ripped from my CD collection. All music sourced via my music server PC, streamed or stored on HDD goes through an external DAC.

Assuming Windows, external DAC or not, the first step in getting the best possible quality out of Spotify is to ensure the audio bypasses the OS audio mixer. Unfortunately Spotify doesn't support Wasapi/Asio for direct audio device access, nor does it support Windows audio device selection. There are workarounds. I had great success using JRiver WDM driver, it is a virtual audio device that comes with JRiver that you make as a default sounds device in Windows, it then forwards minimally processed samples to JRiver itself and finally out to ASIO/Wasapi interface based on the JRiver settings. More details here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ition-of-insanity.779322/page-3#post-10735277

I just started streaming Spotify from my computer. Would I really notice a big improvement if I hooked up a good DAC?

You probably will. Even a Chromecast Audio sounds better than most computer DAC's.

I assume that you re streaming at 320kbps (Spotify Premium).

I use a CCA hooked up to a Topping D30 DAC using my Phone or a Tablet to cast Spotify Premium. I like the way it sounds.
I also sometimes use USB from a laptop to the D30, and it sounds good too as it should.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom