Should I buy a hybrid?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by toxcrusadr, Oct 16, 2017.

1. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

yeah, my carvana experience was mixed. you have a week to send it back, no questions asked. they were good about it when i exercised that option.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Lasareath

Lasareath New Member

Did you buy something?

The Volt is a Great Car!, You can get 95MPG very easily, I have a friend who fills up his tank twice a year.

No VOLT Battery has ever been replaced yet.

There are a couple of Volt owners with over 300,000 miles and still on the original battery and still getting the same range as when it was new.

Here's two FaceBook Groups you should join, One has used Volts for sale right now.

Chevy Volt Owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevyvoltowners/

GM EV Buy/Sell: https://www.facebook.com/groups/462...=group_mall_header_nav&availability=available

3. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I did: a 2015 Honda Civic EX, 1.8L 4-cyl, continuously variable automatic transmission (whatever that is).

Just took it to NE and back for the weekend, 300 mi each way, got 32-37 mpg. It's quiet, comfortable, and the EX model has a lot of gadgets on it - backup and right side cameras, electric sunroof, convenient controls on the steering wheel, and my iPhone connects to it (still figuring that out but the car does make hands-free phone calls!).

I miss the handling and acceleration of my old Mazda MX-6, but I deliberately decided to get a 4-door compact sedan instead of a sport coupe so that's to be expected.

It looks pretty sporty, considering the humble beginnings of the Civic as an econobox in the 1970s.

Civic.JPG

John James and BigElCat like this.
  4. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

32-37mpg seems kind of low, unless that was mostly local driving. We get 40mpg in my wife's mazda3 on the highway stints from Vegas to California, then around 28mpg in the local driving.

5. toxcrusadr

You might be right but that's going off the dashboard indicators. I'll have to check it with actual gas usage off the pump. I think the EPA ratings were 32 and 38 and my cars have usually exceeded those just because of the way we drive. But our newest is an 02 so maybe the EPA tests have changed. More likely it's inaccurate ciphering by the car's electronics though.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

To be fair, GM products have improved since the Chevette. That is a pretty low bar though. All the US mfg made some real turds around that time though.

beat_truck likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Shadowdog

Shadowdog Super Member

Some of the imports weren't that sturdy either, and all rusted away!

8. matteos

matteos Stereotype Subscriber

Depends where you drive. If you drive in the city a lot then you should get a hybrid as you are doing a lot of braking. If your drive is mostly highways or roads with little stopping then I wouldn't bother at all. Save your money. Hybrids do well in cities with not too much advantage over another car on highways/freeways.

Edit. I see you got a new car. Congrats, can't go wrong with a Civic.

9. toxcrusadr

Thanks, it's pretty good so far!

10. jlh3rd

jlh3rd Active Member

I bought a new 2013 Camry hybrid ...I get the advertised 41 mpg. As of today, I have around 66,000 miles on the car, At 2.60 a gallon that’s a savings of $1900, the difference in the initial costs of the hybrid vs the standard Camry. So I’ve made up the difference already.
    ......Toyota battery replacement program will cost a net of $3500,according to greencarreports.com..This is a current price. 10 years down the road ,hopefully, it will be even cheaper. My brakes basically show no wear and I can extend oil changes as the engine doesn’t work as hard as a non hybrid. I believe the unknown factor is the electric traction motor and it’s potential cost and longevity, it is a part of the warranty on the hybrid system....but still an unknown factor...
    All things being equal, I should save a couple of thousand bucks...even more if gas goes up....