Should I buy a Kenwood KA-7100?

I know this is an old thread, but I recently picked up a Ka 7100 at a junk sale. It was filthy! I spent some time cleaning it and then handed off to a friend to check it out and clean up anything I missed. He made some adjustments and replaced a cap I broke. It's really turned out to be an amazing looking piece of equipment. Lots of detail in the faceplate. I noticed its engraved and then filled with paint. The glass behind the volume knob is a nice touch
I've been listening to it for a couple hours now. Moved a Marantz 2250b to the side so I could play with this. Its hooked up to Klipsch KG4.2s and a JVC QL-F4 Turntable.
Im very happy with the sound. Im almost ashamed to say that I think I like it better then the Marantz. Listening to a range of Jazz, some Prog rock, classic rock and the older rap music. It seems to be really neutral in sound maybe how it would be described . Its kinda making me wonder if the Marantz has something wrong with it. The 2250b doesn't seem to make that broad range of music enjoyable. Or maybe I need to find componets that match it better.
I'll listen to it in this set up a few weeks and judge how I feel about it then I guess. Maybe its the newness thats getting me.

Best part is I have a 100 bucks in this thing. I think thats a good deal for that much enjoyment

Let me resurrect this thread to ask a question. I just picked up a KA-7100 at a recycling center for FREE, and wondered which Kenwood tuner would be the appropriate match. Can someone point me to the correct model? Much thanks in advance

I have the same combo and when I used them thought they were a perfect match. They're in my stash now though.
But who listens to the radio anymore? :biggrin:

I think we could make a good case for the KA-7100 being THE '70s integrated amp. They're tough, they're repairable, they just plain work. Oh, and they look pretty slick too. Everyone should have one, and that's a good price.

Just my opinion, and yes, I own one.

Seconded. They also sound really excellent, and reliable once serviced. Biggest issue, the pots and switches aren't sealed too good, so need attention more often than average. Well built too, look great. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom