Should I buy: Mcintosh 754 with one bad channel

@tdwpgtp

Sorry if it was interpreted as blunt, I qualified it with a "fixing newbie", and this would apply
to anyone and everyone. most of the time no one mentions their experience, knowledge
or training.

if you are comfortable with opening stuff up and fixing things then by all means please
do so - keeps these out of the landfills.

and in fact, I soundly recommend folks look into learning all about audio and doing self
repairs (similar to changing oil, filters, belts, wires, wipers, etc for their cars) and it takes
less time and effort than say, learning to program.

and lastly, don't worry about other people's impressions of the sound - they may
like nine inch nails on CV D9s and you may like 19th century chamber music.
again no mention of the music when discussing the hardware.

the reward is to have something working that you understand how it works, to enjoy
the music for a long time, and finally, when you're ready to upgrade, can pay for that
upgrade.

How equipment sounds to an individual is what's important. It doesn't matter who likes the brand, as long as you do. I happen to love Mac stuff, but it's not for everyone. Good post.

@tdwpgtp

Sorry if it was interpreted as blunt, I qualified it with a "fixing newbie", and this would apply
to anyone and everyone. most of the time no one mentions their experience, knowledge
or training.

if you are comfortable with opening stuff up and fixing things then by all means please
do so - keeps these out of the landfills.

and in fact, I soundly recommend folks look into learning all about audio and doing self
repairs (similar to changing oil, filters, belts, wires, wipers, etc for their cars) and it takes
less time and effort than say, learning to program.

and lastly, don't worry about other people's impressions of the sound - they may
like nine inch nails on CV D9s and you may like 19th century chamber music.
again no mention of the music when discussing the hardware.

the reward is to have something working that you understand how it works, to enjoy
the music for a long time, and finally, when you're ready to upgrade, can pay for that
upgrade.

No need for apologies. What you said is what many people need to hear when fixing, well, just about anything. There is no problem with learning, but it is best to do so on cheaper stuff, rather than mess up something fairly valuable, collectible, or desirable. I don't want to be one of those guys who botches a fairly straight forward repair, simply out of ignorance, inexperience, or in the name of being cheap.

As for people's impression of sound, I do not take other's opinions for gospel, but it is reassuring to hear that a majority of people do or do not like a given item that I am taking a relatively large (to me) risk on. That said, I have some pretty cheap gear that I personally enjoy that many other probably would consider junk.

How equipment sounds to an individual is what's important. It doesn't matter who likes the brand, as long as you do. I happen to love Mac stuff, but it's not for everyone. Good post.

See above. I do place some value in other's opinions, but I do not blindly follow them. In this case, I want to make sure that I have an out, in the event that I do not want to keep it, without losing any money. You see, the way I justify my addiction to the wife is that I only buy what I can sell for more. She can't argue with it if I'm not losing money!:beerchug:

No need for apologies. What you said is what many people need to hear when fixing, well, just about anything. There is no problem with learning, but it is best to do so on cheaper stuff, rather than mess up something fairly valuable, collectible, or desirable. I don't want to be one of those guys who botches a fairly straight forward repair, simply out of ignorance, inexperience, or in the name of being cheap.

As for people's impression of sound, I do not take other's opinions for gospel, but it is reassuring to hear that a majority of people do or do not like a given item that I am taking a relatively large (to me) risk on. That said, I have some pretty cheap gear that I personally enjoy that many other probably would consider junk.

See above. I do place some value in other's opinions, but I do not blindly follow them. In this case, I want to make sure that I have an out, in the event that I do not want to keep it, without losing any money. You see, the way I justify my addiction to the wife is that I only buy what I can sell for more. She can't argue with it if I'm not losing money!:beerchug:
Did you buy it?

When it comes to my wife; these are the words I live by: "it's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission"

At the price of purchase and having it serviced, selling it if it doesn't please you shouldn't be a problem.

When it comes to my wife; these are the words I live by: "it's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission"

I've heard that many times before, but it seems she gets more upset when I don't tell her first. Like I said, as long as I am breaking even or better in the end, she's happy. It sort of makes the whole hobby more of a treasure hunt, anyway, and makes it more fun.

@damacman I am going to check it out after work today

I picked it up yesterday, and it seems to be in pretty decent physical condition. Underhood inspection pending. I will poke around a bit with our electrical engineer at work, but if it proves too elusive of a problem, it will go to a pro.

Look at the output relay contacts, dc offset from either channel affects both channels with one relay.

I picked it up yesterday, and it seems to be in pretty decent physical condition. Underhood inspection pending. I will poke around a bit with our electrical engineer at work, but if it proves too elusive of a problem, it will go to a pro.

Glad you decided to pull the trigger. My money says it's something simple. Good luck.

Looks like a burnt transistor on one of the driver boards. I've attached a couple pictures. Would these be the cause, or a symptom? As in, what would have caused it to burn? Is something upstream likely bad, or could it have just been over driven? I will be taking the board into work tomorrow to look at it with our EE. Hopefully it is just this transistor, as that is an easy fix.

21nky7b.jpg

2cdy614.jpg

But wait! There's more! The power transistors (I think) were replaced at some point, one of which has a lifted and (maybe) repaired trace, shown in the second picture. Then there are several transistors that look like they've been mashed down, one of which has a broken leg, shown in the 3rd picture.

rs4w7k.jpg

v43tp2.jpg

28ril34.jpg

Glad you decided to pull the trigger. My money says it's something simple. Good luck.

Unfortunately for the OP this appears to be an ugly situation. Obviously someone has been inside.
Anyones guess what type of repair was attempted. Approaching thirty years old any number of issues could haved caused this. Or maybe just outright abuse.
Everyone likes the 'it just needed a new fuse' outcome. Not with this.
My money says the repair could cost twice the purchase price.
Good luck

I am capable of replacing the components themselves.. However, identifying any components that are not obviously damaged will be a bit out of my abilities. I will be consulting those smarter than I, and in a worst case, I may find and buy a replacement board. The cost of the components will be low, and my labor is "free".

I will compare this board against its twin tonight to see if the other has had similar repairs done. It is possible that during the repair they crushed the small group of transistors, did not notice, and simply gave up when it would not work. I don't ' know, but at this point I'm not tapping out, yet.

It seems that finding direct replacements for the transistors and for the driver board is quite difficult...

I'd made sure that the replacement transistors are what is supposed to be in there rather than a sorta good sub. When you compare with the working board you can write the proper numbers down. Once you know what should be there you can look for proper sub recommendations here.
I'd say it likely shorted an output and worked it's way down stream which is why that small signal device got it's leg melted off. If you're doing the work and have an EE buddy helping you out it shouldn't cost much to get going again.

Back
Top Bottom