Should I consider a DIY RCM these days?

8xlaxx

Have you ever seen a spleen that large?
I was considering a DIY RCM build. I got to thinking, researching and tethering ideas together to build one of these units. When I started looking at a decent reliable, reversible, 115V CW, CCW motor the prices were approx. $120+tax from a reliable dealer. The pricing on a VPI 16.5 upgrade kit for a wand installation is approx. $110. A small Shop-Vac from Walmart approaches $30. With the price of PVC, hosing, switches, misc wiring, fittings, hardware, spindle, platter, and tabletop mount,...in addition to trips to the hardware store/Lowes/HD with your time and travel mixed in,... I am wondering if such a task is even worth doing?

It would be nice to hear from those that own a VPI 16.5 and/or from those that are in the same boat as I am. I am sure that there is a lot of satisfaction in knowing of a job well done, even the value of something made with one's own hands, but when you get down to it I'm wondering if spending an additional $200 or so is worth it for a brand new RCM?

My apologies if this has been debated on this site. I have been scouring the DIY RCM thread and unfortunately many of the pics are down and it is difficult to even see many of the fine builds there.

I built mine in 2009 using an ice cream maker motor and canister, an old shop vac and the VPI wand which was about $75 then. I see ice cream makers and shop vacs in thrift stores all the time. My old thread is still in the DIY forum, but the step by step pictures are long gone. I put them (58 in all) in my drop box and will leave them there for a few days. Here's the link.

Sorry, I was confused what this thread was about.... for anyone still confused, Record(Phonograph) Cleaning Machine.

I was thinking Remote Control Mount but wondered why one would need a vacuum cleaner...

So, I haven't completely decided on the homebrew RCM build quite yet but I did go to the GW today to have a look around.

In efforts to find essential parts for an RCM, I found a 'donor turntable'. The GW clerk said "Take it." The TT powered up and I could hear the servo but the belt had completely disintegrated onto the platter. Also, it was mentioned that they could not sell it as working in 'that' condition. "We are just going to dump it in the trash, do you want it?", the clerk said. I said, "Sure, I can use it for parts."

The TT is an old, entry level Technics SL-B210 with a missing cart. The dustcover was complete but scratched and not cracked.
I purloined the following :
platter mat
aluminum platter
dustcover
servo-motor
all brass machine-screws
rubber feet
spindle
RCA, GND and A/C wiring

The TT carcass is in my trash,... is there anything else I should take off of her for this project?

BTW, I was upset in breaking this TT down as a Organ Donor. I'm sure it had some better audio days and some great 'listens' for the previous owner. There are debates about these things on this site but my intentions are good ones.

So far, no cost involved except for unscrewing the donor TT.

Well, I finally have a little $ spent on this 'project'.

I thought $10 was a fair price. Shop-vac 1.5hp. Will most likely cut the plastic housing away from the vacuum motor to fit it into something,... will see.

00a0a_hdWvY1K3lGs_300x300.jpg

Not really anything specific. I've seen guys use rotisserie, bread machine and ice cream maker motors. Gear motors are available on the 'bay as well.

Just go with a DC powered high torque, low RPM motor, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/0-07A-3-5RPM-Torque-Electric-Motor/dp/B006W2HLSY

Couple a shaft between the motor and the platter you salvaged form the TT. Figure out a way to mount the motor to a box/table/etc. , put a DC plug/jack and wire from jack to motor. Use an adjustable voltage wallwart, similar to this (that would plug in to the DC jack):

https://www.radioshack.com/products...MIleK3tsij1QIVj7jACh2zcwd9EAQYASABEgK9dvD_BwE

Give the motor less than 12V and it will rotate slower. ;) Shop around on the motor to find one with a reasonable RPM rating at 12V. You don't want the platter spinning fast at all.

I think I spent less than $100.00 on my RCM. I used a DC motor to spin a BPC aluminum TT platter. Hooked up a momentary switch so I could reverse the platter. I had a wet/dry vac. at home so I saved moola there. Probably the hardest part in building it was building it. A few trips to the hardware store, one trip to LOWES for lumber. I'm pretty happy with it, but my woodworking skills, or lack of, really show. I'm looking for a cabinet or equivalent to move the "guts" into. Go for it!

Some progress being made on my RCM,... or should I say, progress on finding parts for it. I'm still not totally 'sold' on the idea and have very little time and money invested at this point, so I'm not quite at the 'Point of Know (No) Return' yet (thanks Kansas).

I located an ice cream maker motor at a local thrift shop. The asking price was $5 but it was missing parts like the canister. Motor works though. Scroed it for $2.50.

38rpm, high torque
120V AC
Fairly quiet operation, switch and power cord are good
Spins CCW

So here are pics:

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

There is an issue though. I'm not certain how to extract that rectangular plastic key that's inside the star connection.

IMG_2270.JPG

I thought the motor was a deal for $2.50.

Any help would be fantastic! Looks like the motor housing can be unscrewed. Did anyone cut their motor housing down to fit into their RCM container?

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot..., I did do a little cutting and grinding on the 1.5 hp Shop-vac motor. I cut the plastic framing legs off the intake to connect the hose. I also cut and smoothed out the black plastic housing around it with a Dremel. Took approx 15min to cut and file down to fairly smooth.

IMG_2267.JPG

This little unit was in the bottom of the ice cream maker bucket. I didn't see it.

If the ice cream maker motor doesn't work out, could I power a small 12v DC motor with it?

IMG_2268.JPG

Looks like the input voltage can be adjusted to 120v, too.

I used this motor from All Electronics, 10 bucks. the shaft is just oversized, so I needed to power the motor, then put a file on it to turn it down to fit the platter. The platter on the motor slips off, and their are 4 predrilled and taped mounting holes.
all electronics.jpg

@jcamero -
How did you convert the 120vAC to 12vDC? Did you follow a schematic for the electrical portion of the build? Also, did you use a capacitor in parallel?
I'm taking my time with this project and want to think it through. Thanks for answering my questions when you have the time.

8xlaxx- 38 RPM is WAY too fast for a RCM. I know that motor was cheap but if I were you, I'd just buy a high torque low RPM DC motor.

8xlaxx- 38 RPM is WAY too fast for a RCM. I know that motor was cheap but if I were you, I'd just buy a high torque low RPM DC motor.

I'm thinking you're probably right @dodog,... I really don't want to but it's looking that way.

I've been looking at ways to marry the platter to this ice cream motor and it looks like a lot of extra work might be involved. This is what @elcoholic did with his and mine is the same motor. See pic:

eUA5Xa0NCTZ7_tv6VsD5P3yXCOLsqhY7Ogty7rGTYoo

I've been trying to reach out to some other AK members that used an ice cream machine motor but this topic seems 1)dead, 2)a 'has-been' done kinda thing, and 3) very little responses from those that used an ice cream motor.

The thing about purchasing an AC and/or DC motor is that I would want a reliable one with little issues and that is also reversible. The Daytons have all that but they're super $, especially AC. I really have not looked at the eBay ones and in how reliable they actually are. I am also unfamiliar in using an additional capacitor if needed in the circuit.

Just PM elco, he'll probably help you out. If there is already a completed build with the same motor, then follow it. I'm lazy and not super-creative and a DC motor coupled to a platter was easy-peasy. I'm not trying to discourage you from the build. Part of the fun, believe it or not, is trying to figure out how to assemble a bunch of parts from various donor pieces then getting a functional machine when it's done.

My ice cream maker didn't have the canister lid with it so the connection there will be a problem for sure and I might need to get creative with it.

I 'can' order that canister lid for $15 from the company then cut it down, and epoxy it to the TT platter. I'd have to look at the clearances between the motor mount to the underside of the box then to the lid and off to the platter.

I did locate a Dayton 3M153 120V, reversible 18-20rpm motor that is used, cleaned, tested, and backed by a 2 yr. warranty for $55 shipped. Has a 1/4" shaft. This might be the option to go with since the other option involves plastic and glue. At least the Dayton motor option has a solid metal shaft that can be coupled directly to the TT platter in some way.

Back
Top Bottom