Should I consider a DIY RCM these days?

@jcamero -
How did you convert the 120vAC to 12vDC? Did you follow a schematic for the electrical portion of the build? Also, did you use a capacitor in parallel?
I'm taking my time with this project and want to think it through. Thanks for answering my questions when you have the time.

I just bought a wall wart that was what I needed to cut the rpm's. At 24 volt DC, it spins at 45 rpms, 1/2, (12 volt) 22-1/2 rpm. I don't feel it's fast. The motor is noisy, but that does not bother me, plus it's strong enough when I apply light pressure to clean my albums, it does not bog down. As far as a schematic, the only one I used was used was the one that came with the momentary switch. I wired the motor through she switch so I could reverse the direction of the motor/platter. I posted a thread showing my build. If I can locate it, I will edit this and attach it.

Water and electricity don't mix. don't be stupid.
Don't know if anyone posted the link to the canadian guy who sells the manual job? hooks up to your shop vac. no motors electric shock potential risk etc. think I paid a yard. pretty good imo and the shop vac attachment is really good.

Water and electricity don't mix. don't be stupid.
Don't know if anyone posted the link to the canadian guy who sells the manual job? hooks up to your shop vac. no motors electric shock potential risk etc. think I paid a yard. pretty good imo and the shop vac attachment is really good.

It'll definitely be a closed system regarding the PVC linkages and water reservoir, etc. AK members have had good results with the manual RCMs indeed.

A couple of things to consider. You will need a clamp/weight to hold your LP's in place while cleaning. You should invest in new inner sleeves. No point in cleaning LP's just to put them in a ragged old sleeve. As far as water/electricity. you are not hosing off your LP's. I just cleaned 6 today, and I doubt if I even used a 1/2 cup of the 3 step cleaners I used in total. But play it safe.

Back
Top Bottom