Should I get my Nak RX-303 repaired

Scottfargo

I bought a RX-303 on fleabay about 3 years ago, seller said was perfect working order...well not so much...whats going on is when I first got it, it would play for a few seconds then go to stop...now it just goes to stop whenever I push play/ff/rw. cosmetically it's perfect...I paid $180 for it, am curious if it is worth getting fixed?

As an RX-505 owner, I'd say it's definitely worth repairing. Probably it needs simple belts and/or tires, and even if it needs something more significant, it's a rare and beautiful machine that you've already invested in. AKer perryinva worked on my 505 and it's rock solid now. Your machine is nearly identical except for having two heads instead of three. You've got a cassette playback monster there.

As an RX-505 owner, I'd say it's definitely worth repairing. Probably it needs simple belts and/or tires, and even if it needs something more significant, it's a rare and beautiful machine that you've already invested in. AKer perryinva worked on my 505 and it's rock solid now. Your machine is nearly identical except for having two heads instead of three. You've got a cassette playback monster there.
Thanks! thats good to know, I had a feeling that might be the answer, I'm glad, I really think it's cool looking....nice to know the quality matches. I will keep it and get it fixed.

I've owned my RX-303 from new. After being off line for years I powered it up and it exhibited the same problems as yours. Replaced the 'tire', a little lube and back in action. Got the parts from that seller on the big auction site.
If you go that route order that teeny,tiny washer also. Impossible to get off without breaking.
Worth fixing, especially if you can DIY !

I've owned my RX-303 from new. After being off line for years I powered it up and it exhibited the same problems as yours. Replaced the 'tire', a little lube and back in action. Got the parts from that seller on the big auction site.
If you go that route order that teeny,tiny washer also. Impossible to get off without breaking.
Worth fixing, especially if you can DIY !
I might give that a try.

I might give that a try.

No, no, no, no, no. They are basically unrepairable, and quite toxic in their non functioning state. But it is your lucky day. I just happen to know a guy that works at a HAZMAT collection center, and if you send it to me I can drive it over to him; at great harm to myself I might add.

PM me for a shipping address...and no thanks are necessary, I'm sure you'd do the same for me.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Fully functional unit worth at least 300. Yours are clean so I think it can be $400 if working. Thus, repairing it should be good.

It play and stopped. The question is: did you hear motor run? If you hear it, then it is probably just belts. If you dont hear motor run, then it is either caps in control board or the motor dead. The cost of repair, my guess is around 150 or so if it is not a dead motor. If the motor is dead, then may not worth repair it.

I bought a RX-303 on fleabay about 3 years ago, seller said was perfect working order...well not so much...whats going on is when I first got it, it would play for a few seconds then go to stop...now it just goes to stop whenever I push play/ff/rw. cosmetically it's perfect...I paid $180 for it, am curious if it is worth getting fixed?

Fully functional unit worth at least 300. Yours are clean so I think it can be $400 if working. Thus, repairing it should be good.

It play and stopped. The question is: did you hear motor run? If you hear it, then it is probably just belts. If you dont hear motor run, then it is either caps in control board or the motor dead. The cost of repair, my guess is around 150 or so if it is not a dead motor. If the motor is dead, then may not worth repair it.
Yep I hear motor....when I first got it if I pushed up...helped the carriage up the tape would play, music would come out, things seemed gummed up.

The Sankyo transport (not Sanyo) that Nakamichi used had an idler tire that was used to drive the reel motors; it was pivoted and swung to the appropriate reel in FF/REW/Play actions. Over time, the tire wears/ages, and no longer makes solid contact with the takeup reel table, and you're left with a working capistan motor and no takeup of the tape (so it shuts off in a second or two). Changing the tire is a bit of a pain on the reversing decks, but usually fixes the problem.

The Sankyo transport (not Sanyo) that Nakamichi used had an idler tire that was used to drive the reel motors; it was pivoted and swung to the appropriate reel in FF/REW/Play actions. Over time, the tire wears/ages, and no longer makes solid contact with the takeup reel table, and you're left with a working capistan motor and no takeup of the tape (so it shuts off in a second or two). Changing the tire is a bit of a pain on the reversing decks, but usually fixes the problem.
That sounds like what it is doing...I can build computers from scratch and I've torn down a laptop to replace a video card....I might try this myself.

That sounds like what it is doing...I can build computers from scratch and I've torn down a laptop to replace a video card....I might try this myself.

Be careful, not saying you can't do it, but I've built computers and torn down Dell netbooks to replace "unreplaceable" memory and wifi cards etc, even completely dismantled and successfully rebuilt iPhones 4, 5 and 6! But a Nakamichi is another animal. It will break you! Or not. I'm just saying go in slowly and stop if you don't feel comfortable.

Be careful, not saying you can't do it, but I've built computers and torn down Dell netbooks to replace "unreplaceable" memory and wifi cards etc, even completely dismantled and successfully rebuilt iPhones 4, 5 and 6! But a Nakamichi is another animal. It will break you! Or not. I'm just saying go in slowly and stop if you don't feel comfortable.
Thanks for the advice I will be careful, if I feel it's too much...I am thinking that sending it out I would also get it adjusted properly, which is something I cant do.

Don't underestimate it, the vintage stuff is a different animal.

At minimum, for notebook or iPhone, you don't need to worry about electric shock. The cassette deck, especially the power board and transformer, you will be shocked if you don't do it right.

Don't underestimate it, the vintage stuff is a different animal.

At minimum, for notebook or iPhone, you don't need to worry about electric shock. The cassette deck, especially the power board and transformer, you will be shocked if you don't do it right.
Ha you just brought back an old memory, I went to work for a TV repair shop back in the 80's, the old tech that was there who was teaching me thought it was funny to get the new guy to pry off the crt cap without a grounding wire....only time he would smile...:)

there's a captive washer that holds the idler wheel onto the idler system.

this washer is unobtanium. and it will popoff and you will never see it again.

put a piece of tape (scotch, masking, painters) on it as you "GENTLY" pry it off.

on non-reversible NAKs, the tire is a 1 minute operation once you get past the
mechanicals.

there was once a mechanical gear train replacement option
but no longer available. you can harvest this off the machines that used
this. check at naktalk if you are dedicated to the goal of keeping any and
all NAKs out of the landfill. or buy a bag of idler tires and do this maintenance
every so often. like changing the oil in your non-electric car.

That lock washer is still available from this repairer below, I believe. Small, can be purchased separately or with an idler tire.
It is also possible to lightly sand the old idler tire with 400 grit sandpaper and try to re-use. The problem is that the tire gets smooth and then does not engage well.
Jeff is great to work with - I am no relation.

Jeff Galin

"Nakamichi Serviced Here" since 1975!
ELECTRONICS SERVICE LABS
1807 Berlin Turnpike
Wethersfield, Connecticut 06109 USA
By Appointment M-F 9AM to 5PM EST
Telephone 860-529-3700
jeff@nakamichi.us jeff@eslabs.com
www.nakamichi.us

Thanks for the info guy's, what about cleaning and lube, I have some super lube, will that work...is it ok to use the 90+ alcohol to clean off the old and re-lube stuff.

Back
Top Bottom