Should I include the SACD format in my main system?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by sgleich, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sweet. Hope you like it.

sgleich likes this.
  2. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Stated in parallel terms: 1/2800 and 1/5600

3. Andrei

Andrei Active Member

Please note that most SACD Players, especially the cheaper ones, convert DSD to PCM before analog output, which is always a lossy conversion.

4. sgleich

sgleich AK Subscriber Subscriber

I received the SA-8005. Initial impressions are very good. Listened to a few last night and they sounded very, very good. Horace Parlan Moovin' and Groovin', Boss Tenor and Midnight Blue all sounded clean, clear and detailed. Kind of Blue was very magical. Must be the stereo mix. It is so detailed though it seems I hear a bit of what might be tape hiss?? Still cool. Will try to get the DAC going. Initial attempts didn't work with the Marantz windows download. It installed fine but not playing with Foobar.

Other than that, it is a very nice and attractive metal blackfaced component that fits with my Tandbergs. Definitely not a lightweight.

5. Tim64

Tim64 Well-Known Member

My Denon dvd-2930CI also does HDCD which I have ten or so and they sound excellent on the Denon. Already have a back up laser assembly just in case. Oh and the video quality is good to but it primarily just plays cd's.

prisoners likes this.
  6. prisoners

prisoners AK Subscriber Subscriber

Exactly!

7. Modlin

Modlin Member

good choice...but for similar $ -----> arcam cds27

8. sgleich

Ok. Finally got the DAC all correctly installed. I am kinda blown away. So far just jazz. 24/96 Coleman Hawkins Desafinado is the best I have heard it. Burrell Midnight Blue DSD was just so detailed.. high end and low end just perfect. Grant Green Grandstand ISO was also pretty freaking magical as was a vinyl rip 24/96 of Art Peppers Smack Up. I have that LP in a couple mixes, first stereopress and AP remaster along with my vinyl AP rip. The rip now rivals the LPs.

I did not expect such a radical difference from the Modi Multibit. Again, I am blown away. I think Marantz got this right. Thanks for the suggestion.

On to some female vocal and then rock...

9. PAGS

PAGS AK Subscriber Subscriber

Try a Diana Krall SACD.

SkyRanger and awillia6 like this.
  10. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Unfortunately you are down sampling an SACD to 192/24 which is sad, since you are also compressing the dynamic range also. You are doing an injustice to SACD.

If you want to hear Dynamic range on an SACD, try Hope by Hugh Masekela.

11. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Question BOT, why is this players DAC downsampling? I thought it was DSD capable?

Maybe I am missing something in the hype, here is an excerpt from the SA8005 page.

High-Resolution D/A Conversion

Featuring the reference-class high current CS4398 D/A converter, the SA8005 can accept a wide range of digital audio source types, including Super Audio CD Direct Stream Digital content at 2.8 and 5.6 MHz, along with linear PCM up to 24 bits and 192 kHz. The analog audio sections feature HDAM technologies for the purest audio reproduction. The DAC section features dual clock synchronization for optimum signal decoding, and can also decode MP3 and WMA digital audio formats.

12. botrytis

Misunderstood - read it differently :D

13. sgleich

I have a couple of her SACDs on the way.

I have to say that both DSD ( and.dff, dsf) files and ISOs sound very good. Is there a better choice than Foobar as a player? I do have both the DSD and SACD components installed.

14. botrytis

I myself did not like the sound of Foobar. I thought it was lifeless and Dull.

http://www.hysolid.com/ might be one to try. You do need a phone to use it though.

There are the other usual suspects - JRiver, Roon, etc.

15. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I have tried Foobar, Nightingale, VLC, Kodi, Media Monkey, Music Bee, Virtual DJ and JRiver. I keep and use Media Monkey and Music Bee on my music server laptop. I don't know whether either offers DSD or SACD (from ISO) playback as none of my DAC's do either. However, IMO they both have a much better interface than Foobar. It's also easier to change their look and layout. Both support WASAPI.

My portable does DSF files and they sound very good.

16. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was a big jRiver fanboy, until I met ROON.

BTW, that Hugh Masekela Hope recording shows with a DR number of 11 as ROON sees it. Shows higher in the dynamic range database.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 5.24.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 5.39.32 PM.png

17. botrytis

I tried ROON - a pretty face and that was it for me. So far nothing has been 100%. They all have there issues.