Should I still be afraid of Onkyo?

I have an HDMI-dead NR-906 (not in the list above). I got no help or support from Onkyo at all on it, even though I bought it direct. Lots of info on the ninnernet about what the causes/fixes are, and probably won't bother, as it had/has (shop mule now) a pretty 'user hostile' UI.
IMO, the problem was exacerbated by the amount of heat the thing generates, much of which I attribute to cramming too much stuff in a 75lb? package, so it is my last receiver. (I had it out in the open, sitting on pucks, but didn't get around to adding temp controlled fans until it was too late.)
With separates you at least have a chance at managing heat better.
And, yes, wish I'd purchased the Integra pre/pro Heather mentions.
FWIW (subjective), the Emotiva UMC-200 I replaced it with sounds noticeably better IMO. (I use/d the same Bryston amp for main speakers with both).
Good luck!!

As for the 'brightness' factor, there is treble control on the Denon. I would also assume it has Audyssey. If you're using Audyssey you could try switching it from the Reference curve to Flat setting which boosts treble. Most Denon's also have a parametric equalizer that you could use to brighten up the sound. There are also 4K HDMI Switch Boxes available for a good deal less than the cost of a new AV receiver.

If you're really adventurous you could probably change to a lower value resistor in the tweeter section of the crossover in the Heresy to brighten the high end.

As for the Integra's at ACCL, I too thought hard on them, but my needs were for Audyssey XT32 with SubEq. The Integra's with this feature were about the same price as the Denon X3300W that also had the Audyssey and I had read about someone getting their AV preamp repaired by Onkyo and eventually having it fail. I would say that with a 3 yr warranty and the Denon as a backup, you could probably do worse than the Integra although I would take precautions to prevent overheating such as plenty of space around it and possibly an auxiliary cooling fan.

As for the 'brightness' factor, there is treble control on the Denon. I would also assume it has Audyssey. If you're using Audyssey you could try switching it from the Reference curve to Flat setting which boosts treble.
I've thought about that, but it won't solve the not enough HDMI ports problem.

If you're really adventurous you could probably change to a lower value resistor in the tweeter section of the crossover in the Heresy to brighten the high end.
The Hereseys are in the two channel system. I only mentioned them to emphasize that I prefer a bright tone.

FWIW, I`ve owned and used a open box purchased Integra DHC 40.2 A/V/P for nearly 6 years with hundreds of hours on it..
And it`s installed in a open back rack in my living room with no fans, and with other equipment above and below it..

And it does run rather warm for a line level device..
But I figured that out before installation, and provided it with generous ventilated space above it and very good spike/surge protection, as well..

Zero problems, and it sounds very, very good driving a total front Mac amp/speaker system, and is my first Onkyo/Integra any thing purchased/used, and was recommended by my trusted A/V dealer back then to upgrade my 1998/99 Lexicon DC 1 that was in use.

I would buy another in a heart beat, as some of my friends did, after hearing mine in use for over a year..

Back
Top Bottom