Should I use a separate phono preamp with my Sansui's

BushmasterM4

Have 3 Sasnui's. A 5000A, a 9090db and a 5000X. Ive used all three and dont really notice any difference in phono stage between the three. All sound quite nice. My 9090db will be heading into the shop for repairs (tape monitor issues and a general checkup), once I figure out who to take it to. Either Stereo Labs in Columbus, Ohio or Audio Paradise in near Cincy (not sure yet). Anyway, would I notice much difference in sound and at what price point would I notice better sound. Like I mentioned the 3 Sansui's sound dead on to each other. And sound quite good to me. But if there is a night and day difference, maybe I should explore my options.

I always found the 9090DB phono stage to be it's weak spot. It's not bad. maybe even good in comparison with built-in phono stages of competing units of the same era, but it's not hi-fi.
I'm using a PassDIY Pearl II which is superb (but DIY only, and relatively pricey to come by) and I also found the phono section in a Luxman L-410/L-430 of superb quality. I tried to grab
a reasonably priced Nakamichi C5 or C7A preamplifier just for it's amazing phono section, but no luck so far...

Thanks for the reply. If I do try another phono preamp I would need a prebuilt unit. I will search the Turn Table section of the forum for recommendations also.

Back
Top Bottom