Should I worry? sx-980

jvinhj240

So this is my first Pioneer got it couple months , decide to look over everything after browsing thru this site. I want to check out power supply board and yes the board look really dirty on the board because the heat causes this on 1st pic then 2nd pic is after I did some cleaning and it show thru the copper.

I measure the temps on the aluminum part is around 150F on 3rd pic. is this normal?

Should I worry about this heat and board issue?

Thank you so much....

note* last pic 1802 is close up after I cleaned

Attachments

• IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1802.PNG
    IMG_1802.PNG
    346.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
It has been like this for how long now and has not failed yet. It is a well known fact that for each 10C increase in temp you half the life of a semiconductor. Of course lowering the temp will make it last longer, how much it is statistical, could go tomorrow or 20 years from now.
The solder mask is old tech and poor performing mask, that is why it has lifted. It actually started to crack the day it ran through the wave solder machine at the factory.

Just add some more heatsink area to the existing one. You have to be creative.
The soldermask lifting is not a big issue, probably been like that for years now.

the brown crud you cleaned off was wavesolder flux from when the board was made, it is harmless. messy looking but harmless.

make sure nothing else can touch the heat sink (or your added heat sinking),
it is NOT insulated from the transistor collector (RAW DC) and it is electrically live - and willing to bite and blow up fuses.
As an added bonus one is +65v and the OTHER right next to it is -65v. thus there is a 130 volt difference.
BE CAREFUL!!!

Thanks. I just put PC fans , temp dropped really good. I am ordering some cpu heatsink maybe add small fans. Will see

fans are not a good long term solution, they pack in the dust.
Just look at the insides of a computer that has been operating a while.
slow heat driven convection (from larger heat sinks) stays a whole lot cleaner.

It all depends upon how often you want to get inside of it to clean (and how hard it is to do so).

The BEST heat sinking / fan setup I ever saw had a thermo driven fan, with a closed tunnel for air flow
and WIDELY spaced heat sink fins. Accessible at the front center of a rack (it was commercial) with a filter
backed up with the fan. and the outlets of the tunnel (across the face) were also in front.
All you had to do to clean it was to take off the filter, secure the fan blades against over-speeding and blast compressed air
into it while holding your breath and squinting until it blew clean at the exhausts.

Thanks, I will put heatsink first see if temp really drop then adding if needed. The 980 open really quick for blow dust out but adding a fan is not what I wanted because I still got some wiring to do and does look funky.

Back
Top Bottom