Should the Wooly Mammoth Live Again?

Should we be cloning Wooly Mammoths?

• No, They died for a reason.

Votes: 73 28.5%
  • Yes, we could learn a lot from studying a live one.

Votes: 117 45.7%
  • No, Momma elephant doesn't want a hairy kid.

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Yes, I want my own pet Wolly.

Votes: 48 18.8%
  • Beats me, what is a wolly mammoth?

Votes: 10 3.9%

• Total voters
IMO, the resurrection of wooly mammoths is not a problem.
It is pretty hard to lose one.

What concerns me is the creation of genetic monsters (i.e. microorganisms and plant seeds) which we have no control over after they are released into the environment.

Kudzu!! :yikes:

Kudzu is a naturally occurring plant in Asia that is in no way a nuisance.

Yet over here in the states it, uh, thrives I guess, because there are no natural predators to keep it in check.

No genetics or science involved one single bit.

Hell yes.

Plus it may even create a few jobs: Enclosure construction, mammoth groomer, enclosure mucker, and the big one, mammoth fertility clinic fluffer.

I've ridden an elephant. I'd like to try something larger.

cubdog

I think they are actually similar in size to an elephant. Although, once we get the whole mad scientist thing dialed-in we can probably make them any size we want.

I think Bud Selig is behind it as a first step towards getting an army of Ted Williamses...

Seeing a wooly mammoth living on Earth is on my bucket list :D
I mean, why not? It would be fascinating to watch it's behavior, and how it relates to it's mother, how intelligent the species is, what sort of sounds it makes, etc.
It would be better if they could create a mating pair from different areas of the world. We wouldn't know how much affect the Elephant gene had on its behavior. Just saying. I'm not a scientist!

Interesting topic.

I'd be more inclined to allow replacement of animals that have been hunted to extinction, or extinct due to man's actions, and not due to "natural selection".

Now, I know we can argue man causing extinction of animals is natural selection at it's finest, but tell that to the Auroch, the Tasmanian Tiger, the Great Auk, the Quagga, the Caspian/Persian tiger, and the Dodo- all hunted to extinction by man.

Oh wait- you can't.

The creation of genetic modified plant seeds is something I'm not too keen of. But it's happening.

I imagine the Woolly Mammoth will be resurrected too, whether we like it or not.

I am quite with thedelihaus on this one. Now we have or at least appear to acquire the ability to set things caused by us humans right. I firmly believe we should do so.

And one "Jurassic park scenario" is extremely unlikely, it is only for recently exterminated species we have enough genetic material to have a chance to find enough genetic material to make it happen. So were pretty much limited to those we have samples of in museums, meaning the Auk, the Dodo, Tasmanian tiger, and the exception is the Mammoth since we've found some deep frozen ones relatively well preserved. Fact remains it were early Caucasians who hunted them to extinction. So why not try if there's a slim chance, it will bring back one of the most majestic animals who have roamed the Earth!

Interesting topic.

I'd be more inclined to allow replacement of animals that have been hunted to extinction, or extinct due to man's actions, and not due to "natural selection".

Do we know that man did NOT have a role in the extinction of the mammoth? I kinda thought we did.

Back
Top Bottom