Should we divide up Vintage by make?

Should we divide Vintage into subcategories?

• Yes!

Votes: 148 58.7%
  • No, keep it as is.

Votes: 104 41.3%

• Total voters

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
Since AudioKarma has so much traffic in Vintage related to different types of gear, how would everyone feel about having the Vintage forum split up similar to the Partswap area, with seperate subforums for, say, Pioneer, Kenwood, Onkyo, Marantz, and other?

We had previously shyed away from such things because the site didn't have the traffic to support them, but as we all know this is no longer the case :D

The main advantage of the seperate forums is that it makes the database much easier to browse.....however it does divide everything up even though it's under the same heading.

So let's hear your thoughts :)

No, we have enough forums as it is, and things aren't posted in the right place to begin with half the time.

Cheers,
Russ

I could see a limited expansion of forums. I'd say Pioneer and Marantz definitely deserve their own forums. Not sure about the others though.

On an quasi-related note, I think the Ak search function is underused especially by newbies. Maybe if it was featured more prominently on the homepage?

I know many hate change but I think this is a good idea, at least with Pioneer, Marantz and probably Kenwood.

Like Sansui and McIntosh, there is easily enough interest in each to support a separate forum.

I find the Sansui and McIntosh splits friendly in their ability to find model specific information or opinions.

Kenwood has a small yahoo group that would probably thrive much better in this environment with our software and rounded audio knowledge base. Kenwood at Yahoo

it'll be interesting to see what the masses say.

Good idea, IMO. Some folks' interest is very specific, and if AK can tailor its presentation to cater to those specific interests, win-win.

Yes, I agree that Marantz and Pioneer should have their own forum. Heck, if Sansui has one, Pioneer and Marantz should have one as well. Just my $.02

Retro

Almost 200 views of this thread and only 30 something votes ?

Not like you guys are being asked to vote for politicians :p:

If you want or don't want please vote. Thanks

grumpy

Yes, especially for Marantz and Pioneer; both of these brands generate enough posts to warrant their own sub-catagories. Technics and Kenwood should also be considered.

Kamakiri asks about splitting up the Vintage forum. If we have, for example, a Pioneer group under Vintage, then should we have another Pioneer for modern gear as well? I'm just wondering what we would do with current manufacturer specific groups. Specifically, McIntosh. That forum is full of vintage topics and modern gear, and future speculations.

If we do go for the individual manufacturer's forums, I hope that we don't label them as vintage. Someone may want to discuss current directions of products as well as the historical aspects.

The only problem I see with more forums is that it increases the odds that someone will post in the wrong group.

There are so many new threads these days, that it's almost impossible to read through all of them.

It may be time to split up some to tailor the interest a little better.

Marantz & Pioneer forums seem logical.

HDK

Good question.

Going out on a limb here but I would think each particular makers forum would encompass both new and old. Just to hard to separate them once they each have their own forums.

Just my thoughts...

Grumpy

So far the votes seem to be for Marantz and Pioneer forums, personally I think this is way overdue. As of now I plan on going with those in the next couple days and see how it all pans out....

So step forward all you Pioneer and Marantz freaks :D

Should we divide up Vintage by make

I guess I was thinking of vintage only forums.

Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc aren't really the same company they were 25 + years ago, and don't make anything nowdays, remotely close to the vintage audio equipment of old.

Mac still kinda does, but not Marantz or Pioneer, or any one else really, that was big into audio in the 60s and 70s.

But whatever, maybe I'm splitting hairs.

I don't think we need to specifically label the new forums as vintage since AFAIK nobody yet is getting nostalgic about BPC. Besides, there is some disagreement about what constitutes vintage. I highly doubt anyone with modern Pioneer/Sony/etc gear would end up here looking for info.

I hereby step forward as a card-carrying Pioneer freak (not as crazy as Auditech though) with a minor interest in Marantz.

Lastly, kudos to the mods/admins for their work on AK. The interface is my yardstick for all other message boards. I've bounced around lots of sites and I always wonder how much better they could be if they used AK's format.

Forums dedicated to individual vintage brands sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't want to have the vintage mixed with the modern though. The only downside I see is a reduction in comparisons and rivalries.(I kinda enjoy reading a good rant).

I kinda like it the way it is as long as the subject line is descriptive. When I login I use the "View new posts" option to bring up a listing of what is new and work it from there. In that way I don't necessarily read all of the new posts and I am saved the bother checking each forum for new posts.

As I imagine everyone knows I specialize in Yamaha, but that does not mean that I have no interest in other marques. I notice that it was Pioneer, Marantz mentioned but never Yamaha so we would probably not get a forum of our own in any case.

Rob

:yes: If I may interject, the more specific the forums are, the better! If there is a Vintage section broken into smaller parts, it just makes it easier to find people with the same interests and will in turn provide more answers to questions.

I try to check out as many discussions as my time will allow, but I know I am missing quite a bit. It would be nice if I could jump straight to Vintage>Cassette Decks or even Vintage>Goldstar!!

:dunno:

Naaah. I have interest and knowlege in virtually all major, and many minor, brands. Its nice to just go to the vintage forum and post a question, and typically get an answer. Likewise, its an easy place to go and contribute my knowlege on a variety of brands. I don't find myself going as regularly to the current brand-specific areas, and am probably not contributing as much as I could. Call me lazy, but that's the way I operate these days...

Sorry, I don't think more 'brand balkanization' of the vintage site here is a good idea.

Whaddya do with all the more -- esoteric :) -- brands?

A Scott forum?

A Sherwood forum?

A Yamaha forum?

A JVC forum?

A Denon forum?

An Onkyo forum?

A Philips forum?

A Superscope forum?

A KLH forum?

A Craig forum?

A XAM forum?

A Teledyne forum?

A Yorx forum?

A Soundesign forum?

Remember: Dilution is the solution to pollution (conversely, there is such a thing as critical mass to make a forum "lively"... I've never noted much of a signal to noise problem on any of the fora here).

Back
Top Bottom