Should we divide up Vintage by make?

Should we divide Vintage into subcategories?

• Yes!

Votes: 148 58.7%
  • No, keep it as is.

Votes: 104 41.3%

• Total voters
I voted yes for adding separate forums.

Definitely yes for:

Harman Kardon
Kenwood
Marantz
Yamaha

Maybe yes for:

Fisher
Onkyo
Scott
Sony

IMHO, the group's interest would be more for vintage, good sounding 2-channel receivers and all of the above companies, plus Pioneer and Sansui (and a few other's I've inadvertenly left off) had some that are both collectible and sound good.

Yes, I'd like to see added:
harman/kardon
Yamaha
Pioneer
Marantz
Onkyo (just because I don't know anything about that brand). :naughty:

I figure a Luxman forum might be a good idea. There are a lot of people out there interested in Luxman, and besides a Yahoo group (which is somewhat lame,) there isn't much representation. Of course I may be a little biased but that's my opinion.

Rich

Well I have to agree with Russman on this one. We have to many forums now. In the "old days" I learned alot because I read more post about stuff I was not interested in (or so I thought).

Now, there are forums I dont even read because there is too much jumping around.

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

10 forums or 70--it's no chore...

I read 70% of new posting every day. The moderators will concur because they hear a lot of questions and reports from me and some members will concur because I seem to be on everything and a few threads get sent to the right place occasionally. There may be eight pages of Sansui, etc but only 10-20% are really new replies or new threads, making it no problem to spend 35-60 minutes scouring and posting each day, C'mon, your AudioKarma is still no great pressure to participate in?

Steven

The main advantage to seperate forums is that it seems to make things easier to search for reference and info. It's also nice because you can subscribe to a whole forum that grabs your interest, so you get emails with subject headers every time there is a new thread in a given forum (see your user control panel for details). Or, you can ignore a whole forum too :tongue:

I always use the "new posts" feature to see what's the dish, so I see everything anyways. Sometimes having dedicated forums spurs a whole new group of members to join, such as our Sansui, McIntosh, and Pioneer forums have done. I don't think AK would get the traffic it does in those groups without the actual forums being there. In these cases, it's added volumes to what this site is.

Just no different IMO to a well organized filing cabinet. With all of the posts that we have, it's easier to look for something if it's in one area versus going through the whole site.

Maybe a Marantz forwould be a well viewed forum.um. Judging by the amount of Marantz gear owners I would think it would get a lot of hits.

IMHO if there should be another forum it should be Troubleshooting/Repairs. Many of us own vintage gear that has passed it's life expectancy but would like to get the heart pumping again. With the expected creation of the schematic I would see the need being even greater. Some posts about repairs or maintenance or in the general electronics, some are in the dedicated forum for that make.

Just something to think about.

Are the Pioneer and Sansui forums going to be moved into the Vintage forum? This would seem to make sense as 90+ percent of the posts on these forums are for their vintage gear. I think that Yamaha, Sony and Kenwood should be added. They are all very popular vintage makers and could stand on their own. You have a couple of volunteers for moderators and am sure you would get more if you ask. After all, who can turn down such an easy job at such high pay.

Yep, definitely need separate marantz and Pioneer sections, and possibly Kenwood & Yamaha. "Vintage" could be for all older equipment that doesn't fit in the specific brand sections.

Or you could have a poll and we can vote for the top 3 or 5 brands that we'd like to see have their own forums out of the many brands, (besides the current Sansui & Mc). You could take the top 5 or 8 or 10 brands and make their own forums.

Last edited:
No, posts are pretty few and far between to my way of thinking. I sit in front of my computer looking for new posts and I think they come up pretty slowly.
I don't want to look in several forums for something new to read and possibly reply to.

I hate to say it...

or :lmao: maybe I DON'T...

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

(Isn't the Vice President supposed to break this tie)?

Last edited:
I think that there should be fewer topics. I love going into the vintage board not knowing what models I'm going to learn about that day. I don't like having to go into different boards to learn about Sansui and Pioneer now.

I made a difference

:banana: I just voted yes and now the yes side is one vote ahead :banana:

Who says one vote won't make a difference.

I wouldn't mind seeing all the Yorx and sound-design threads relegated to their own section, maybe call it BPC......although all the yourx stuff is silver. :D

I am usually looking for specific stuff and the more it is separated the easier things might be to find.

Sorry to all of the "Nay" voters out there, but it looks like the "Yea's" have won it by an historical and overwhelming .76% of the vote. Obviously, AK has been given a mandate and much political capital, and by gum! they're going to spend it.

You may now go back home and rest assured that you have helped to strengthen freedom and democracy for all AK'ers, and have done much to prevent the evildoers who would seek to destroy our expanding of the forums.

....and remember, there will be NO recounts.

:smilemad:

Last edited:
A forum for each brand that seems appropriate and also keep the Vintage forum for score posts and general Vintage posts. I'd hate to lose that as you'd have to canvas all the forums to find out what everyone is up to.

Back
Top Bottom