Should we divide up Vintage by make?

Should we divide Vintage into subcategories?

• Yes!

Votes: 148 58.7%
  • No, keep it as is.

Votes: 104 41.3%

• Total voters
Hell yes it makes your pee stink!Now poop thats a whole nother issue,it the skatole and indoles by products of protien digestion.Ya gotta love those sulfide gases.By the way another good use for brussel sprouts is in a sling shot,great ammo.

J. H. said:
Does asparagus make your pee stink and we might have a winner.

Thatch Ear,
No it makes your poop stink!

Makes mine stink. . .

And to think I got PM'd for my content. . . . .

Easy now!!!!.. Tim might make a 'POOP' forum...!! (or even a Mad Dog forum...)
He has that kind of twisted sense of humor! LOL

I don't agree with a split. Puts pholks in silos, I feel. Lots of questions are generic in nature, why isolate them to a particular brand?

Look at it this way: even the old Ma Bell is slowly putting herself together again :)

Aage said:
I don't agree with a split. Puts pholks in silos, I feel. Lots of questions are generic in nature, why isolate them to a particular brand?

Look at it this way: even the old Ma Bell is slowly putting herself together again :)

This thread is way old folks. The split has already occurred.

Rich P

Definitely need a Yamaha/Sony forum. Many of us Yamaha'ers are also Sonyers, as well. As these are two best vintage brands out of Japan :D , they should stay together in their own forum.

How about subforums for:
Pioneer
Sansui
Marantz
Kenwood
Maybe Sony
Would that not be the Big 4 from the 60's 70's?
McIntosh is a different animal alltogether so I am not lumping them in with the others.

Roger that...

Yamaha B-2 said:
Definitely need a Yamaha/Sony forum. Many of us Yamaha'ers are also Sonyers, as well. As these are two best vintage brands out of Japan :D , they should stay together in their own forum.

Roger that...

I like the idea of splitting by manufacturer and second Grumpy's suggestion of the inclusion of new and vintage gear in eack maker's category. If their new stuff is not up to their past standards, there simply won't be many posts concerning recent models. I believe that this type of logical separation will improve navigation of the site, making it easier for us to find the areas of personal interest. :thmbsp:

Toasted Almond said:
Hell no. I can't stand most of the people that post about them anyway. I really appreciate the offer though.

That's too bad. I even had a suggestion for a co-moderator for you.

I have been a member here for only a short period of time, so I did not go through the growing pains that the long time members here had to experience, so I can only offer up an opinion based upon my own time spent here...

I'm a newbie in the hobby, although I have always been a devoted lover of music, I have never really spent the time or money to learn much about the technical aspects of what makes one piece of equipment sound so different from another.

All it took to get me hooked on the collecting/learning of vintage audio, was a chance encounter with a classified ad for a big, ugly Sansui receiver that needed a new home. A 20 minute car ride and an exchange of cash, and my life has never been the same since...

It didn't take long to find this site as I was Googling for info about my Sansui, and not much longer to join. I am still amazed every day when I sign in and go through the recent postings at the amount of info, talent, and commraderie that defines this site!

I, like most of the members, have particular interests within the vast world of audio, and have taken far more from the forum than I will ever be able to return, by going through as much of the postings I can to get my audio "Fix". At first, I thought that dividing up the forum by manufacturer would be a good thing, but the more I thought about it, I felt it would be a diservice to our community to do so.

I thought of all the things I would have passed by, as I skipped right to the Pioneer forum, or the Sansui forum, instead of taking the time to explore what was right there in front of me. I think of the members I may not have met, or exchanged info and humor with, and I think how much less satisfiying my time here would have been spent, if I had just been to one or two sub-forums.

I feel that any more fracturing of the forum, unless necessary due to volume or moderating needs, would only serve to dilute the overall experience of the current, and even more likely, the future members of this wonderful place.

Again, I'm a newbie here, so my summation may be flawed, but I think I'm not too far off base, I felt I needed to say more than just a yes or no on this subject.

To all who make this the place that it is, from the founders and moderators, down to todays newest members, THANK YOU! I look forward to reading the next posts, and to posting back, maybe helping some one else out as much as all of you have helped guide me.... And isn't that what Karma is all about?

Birddog

birddog said:
I have been a member here for only a short period of time, so I did not go through the growing pains that the long time members here had to experience, so I can only offer up an opinion based upon my own time spent here...

I'm a newbie in the hobby, although I have always been a devoted lover of music, I have never really spent the time or money to learn much about the technical aspects of what makes one piece of equipment sound so different from another.

All it took to get me hooked on the collecting/learning of vintage audio, was a chance encounter with a classified ad for a big, ugly Sansui receiver that needed a new home. A 20 minute car ride and an exchange of cash, and my life has never been the same since...

It didn't take long to find this site as I was Googling for info about my Sansui, and not much longer to join. I am still amazed every day when I sign in and go through the recent postings at the amount of info, talent, and commraderie that defines this site!

I, like most of the members, have particular interests within the vast world of audio, and have taken far more from the forum than I will ever be able to return, by going through as much of the postings I can to get my audio "Fix". At first, I thought that dividing up the forum by manufacturer would be a good thing, but the more I thought about it, I felt it would be a diservice to our community to do so.

I thought of all the things I would have passed by, as I skipped right to the Pioneer forum, or the Sansui forum, instead of taking the time to explore what was right there in front of me. I think of the members I may not have met, or exchanged info and humor with, and I think how much less satisfiying my time here would have been spent, if I had just been to one or two sub-forums.

I feel that any more fracturing of the forum, unless necessary due to volume or moderating needs, would only serve to dilute the overall experience of the current, and even more likely, the future members of this wonderful place.

Again, I'm a newbie here, so my summation may be flawed, but I think I'm not too far off base, I felt I needed to say more than just a yes or no on this subject.

To all who make this the place that it is, from the founders and moderators, down to todays newest members, THANK YOU! I look forward to reading the next posts, and to posting back, maybe helping some one else out as much as all of you have helped guide me.... And isn't that what Karma is all about?

Birddog

It didn't take long to find this site as I was Googling for info about my Sansui, and not much longer to join.

I thought of all the things I would have passed by, as I skipped right to the Pioneer forum, or the Sansui forum, instead of taking the time to explore what was right there in front of me.

In the larger sense, I agree with Birddog. Going only to a specific forum definitely limits the scope of the experience this forum offers. There is great diversity here and much enthusiasm, spread among all the forums. Limiting yourself to just one or two will restrict the take-home of your visit.

In a more pragmatic sense, however, I suggest that, as Birddog mentioned, it was the Google search result for Sansui that landed him here. By having forums for each brand, we will facilitate the visitation of new potential members who do Google searches for their brand. If they find what they want, which most certainly will, they will become regulars. Then, they can be encouraged to explore beyond their narrow brand interests. The strength of this forum is the diversity and enthusiasm of its members. To keep that strength long term, new blood will be required. If providing brand-related forums will facilitate the visit of prospective members looking for information on their newly acquired vintage equipment, I would suggest it is a worthwhile investment, with the caveats that the server can handle it, etc. I see the provision of new forums bringing in new visitors/members with minimal additional effort on this board's part. If it also streamlines the visits of existing members by helping them get the information they need sooner, so much the better.

I see little to lose for the trying, with a very large potential upside. Additionally, it is understood that, if the additional forums do not generate the requisite traffic to warrant their maintenance, they could be closed at a later date. I say let's give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom