Show me your HORNS!!!

this thread has given me a headache.....

ha...

Why?

This thread proves that big woofers and horn loaded tweeters make great speakers, they are very popular and come in a ton of different variations.

GAMMA BK3013A (with phaseplugs) + VLD-12 (with DIY capacitor alu foil ribbons) crossed at 4 kHz 18dB/oct, w/o lowpass (needs new baffle obviously).

5a4a0f56_AUT_9501.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a little too much insulation poking out of the port holes of those speakers.......

The baffle was made for reflex tubes, but BR is no good for the midrange, at least not when using GAMMA woofers.
So the ports have been stuffed with closed cell foam to seal the boxes (just like the horns that sit in the baffle, the KEF B110's are not in use, they have their own sealed box inside).
It's not perfect, which is good, a leaky box is basically an aperiodic box, and when I finally get around to making new baffles, proper flow resistors will be installed.

I actually have too little stuffing in my boxes, as they where stuffed for BR duty.

Last edited:
When I started I had an Stevens 12" woofer and an Oxford horn in a Davis cabinet with a hemholtz resonator. Then I graduated to a Altec Coronado, with a 414 woofer and 3000 tweeter horn. Next came Altec Carmels with 2 414 woofers and the 811B horn with 806 driver that was ported. The next step was either a Cornwall, Klipschorn, or Bozak Concert Grand. The Grand won, no more horns for me at home. But I spent the next 30 years installing Klipsch, EV, JBL, Altec, Frazier, Emilar, Community and Light and Sound, and Renkus Heinz horns of all shapes and sizes. My favorite horn to place at the top of my list, was two Altec 817 stacked with a 311 with a 291 driver for the mid horn and 4 Altec MR902 super tweeters, ot preferably the Altec 950 UHF ring radiator, developed for the Japanese market studio monitor speakers. I preferred 515 high out put for the 817 double woofer box. Stacked the were flat below 40 Hz and close to 30 Hz against a wall.

Here are my refurbished red horns. If you're going to have horns. They might as well be red.
I know they're kind of in a tight place. Best I can do for now, hopefully not too much longer.

2014-06-01222737_zpsc219b782.jpg

EV Sentry III mkI

Just back in rotation for some tweeking.

Attachments

• EV,s 004.jpg
    EV,s 004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 141
  • EV,s 008.JPG
    EV,s 008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Show me your Horns!!!

Here are some horns I installed. 4 803's 5 203's 6 311's all with 291's and then 6 more 203's with 290's . 6 815's with 12 515's woofers. This was in 1976.

Attachments

• Untitled 55.jpg
    Untitled 55.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Untitled 29.jpg
    Untitled 29.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Untitled 27.jpg
    Untitled 27.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 140
Rays horns

Here are some pics of my horn systems.

Attachments

• Ray's pictures 053.jpg
    Ray's pictures 053.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Ray's pictures 032.jpg
    Ray's pictures 032.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Ray's pictures 119.jpg
    Ray's pictures 119.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Ray's pictures 125.jpg
    Ray's pictures 125.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 152
Hi all,

Ummmm.....I'm surprised I haven't posted a picture of my " Stephens Tru-Sonic Horn" to this thread.

http://i39.tinypic.com/fjjhus.jpg

http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2011/06/architects-music-and-hi-fi.html

This is an interesting picture of a Charles Eames/Stephens Trusonic collaboration sent a while back by Sixcats! with another intriguing speaker in the background ;) Robert Stephens was part of the Shearer Horn project before starting his own company. I have seen a few Stephens drivers and the quality of construction is comparable to an Altec or JBL. But I never saw or heard this particular speaker system which according to a brochure in Hi-Fi Lit contained a 15" woofer in a folded horn chamber, compression driven 10 cell horn midrange + super tweeter. It is a rare piece and probably samples have been snapped up by mid-century modern collectors long before audio aficionados became aware of the sonic virtues of vintage equipment.

Regards,
SixCats!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom