Show me your HORNS!!!

Thanks! Like a dummy I sold them shortly after I refinished them, recapped the xovers, rewired them with Kimber wire, and put modern binding posts.
I don't know why I do it, but someone has to stop me from selling all the best audio gear I've owned... YBA, Cary, AES, Altec, Mac, Linn, Classe, B&W, AR, Consonance, Jelco, Sony ES, Dynaco, Jolida, Onix, Pass Labs, Hafler, Carver, Polk, Dual, Thorens, SME to name a few. Now I live with very modest means and can't afford any good stuff. I just dream of what could be.

Altec VOTTs

attachment.php

Complete with special horn damping socks

Attachments

• 20140929_212805.jpg
    20140929_212805.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 359
These ar not mine, but a pair of Classic Audio Loudspeaker T1.5 reference speakers on display at the 2014 RMAF
IMG_3082-X3.jpg

IMG_3084-X3.jpg

Field coils, huh? Very interesting... I'd like to hear those sometime.

I think it's something for a guy to hang his hat on; in the last couple of years I heard several field coil speakers including the ones above and some modified Lowthers and I thought it no big deal. No doubt the old timers here heard many field coil speakers as children, in old radios and such.

I wonder if the Cogent guys are still around, they're the guys who kind'a kicked off the modern field coil trend. But they developed and built their own drivers from scratch (including a bass compression driver); they didn't modify existing drivers as is the case with many modern field coil speakers.

If the house is rockin', don't come knockin'!!!

I bought most of this equipment new between 1975 and 1977. It consists of a Marantz 3800 preamp. two Marantz 510M power amps, a Denon DP-72L turntable with a Stanton 881S cartridge, a Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player and four Altec 846B speakers. I also have a Marantz 3600 preamp, a Thorens TD-160 turntable with a Stanton 681EEE cartridge and a Nakamichi OMS-7 CD player, so I can break this down into two complete stereo systems. My two children will each inherit a stereo someday.

Attachments

• DSC01116.jpg
    DSC01116.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 81
This is one of my favorite threads. So, I've decided to bump it with a picture of another horn setup. I've shared this photo in a different thread, but it belongs here as well.

attachment.php

Each bass horn was originally loaded with a pair of E-V EVM-12L drivers which I replaced with some hi-fi drivers from some B&O prototypes. The white horns are driven by an EV1823 driver.

Ah heck, since I'm sitting at my computer, may as well share another horn for this thread. This time, an E-V SH-1810H:

attachment.php

This is a mid & tweet in one box. The mid is a 10" driver with a CD horn with aperiodic phase plug. The tweeter horn is better (to my ears) than the usual T-35 horn, but still has the typical E-V horn tweeter sizzle. This box is useful for all frequencies from 250Hz on up. By far, the most attractive aspect of this box is the midrange. Weighing in at about 90lbs., the mid driver is most of that weight, at almost 80lbs. With a 4" voice coil and a magnet almost 10" in diameter, the motor of this driver is very powerful and rugged.

Ever seen a pair of these? I made the grills.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
Beauhorn V3 with Lowther DX4 driver and Decware Imperial SO with Emenince Lab 15's

Attachments

• beauhorn.jpg
    beauhorn.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMGP1095.jpg
    IMGP1095.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP1096.jpg
    IMGP1096.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP1097.jpg
    IMGP1097.jpg