Show off your Aquarium!

Next, the big tank. It's a 60 gallon. It is home to 3 clown loaches, a BIG pink "kissing" gourami, 4 tiger barbs, a blue gourami, and 1 albino cat.

Attachments

• DSCF3033.jpg
    DSCF3033.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF3030.jpg
    DSCF3030.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3031.jpg
    DSCF3031.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF3029.jpg
    DSCF3029.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 50
What, no firemouth cichlids?

I remember buying a Jack Dempsey once and putting him into my aquarium with my Cardinal and neon tetras, lol.

He had a good meal.

Very nice tanks everyone!:thmbsp:

Wish I still had my 30 gallon long with fancy goldfish.:tears:

The only aquarium I ever had was one in my office that my secretary and I tried to keep stocked for about a year. We worked in the adminsitrative offices of a large chemical research complex. All our fish died swift deaths, though my secretary was quite experienced with aquariums at home and tried everything imagineable to nurse our poor fish.

I finally put a sign, "Auschwitz", on the terminal thing.

Not too long after we gave the thing up as a lost cause, the complex underwent an extensive HVAC refit, as it turned out many bits in that new 360,000 sq. ft. building had been installed backwards. So much for the positive air pressure that was supposed to keep all the chemical vapors contained in the vent hoods downstairs and routed to the scrubbers. Doubtless we'd all been breathing all sorts of stuff and those poor fish were sort of "the canary in the coal mine".

I'd like to try one at home, but that episode was just too discouraging.

Super old thread but my wife and I had a small aquarium a few years back.

Thinking of getting another...long story, but if we get fish, maybe she'll give up on the "let's get a cat" idea...LOL.

I found 3 cool old TV's to re-purpose into aquariums. Essentially rip the guts out, put a tank inside, mount everything else inside...lights, pump...might look cool.

Anyone here ever do this with a TV?

And this led me to thinking - anyone here ever do this with old SPEAKERS?! I know we're all speaker-nuts here so I would guess maybe someone has done it. If so, any pics or model of speaker and/or TV you used?

Ugh! I had several tanks at one time when I was in High School. Became fascinated with Oscars. Started buying little ones and raising them until they were 5-8" long. By 12th grade I had 7 40 Gallon tanks and about 20 or so tiger, red, and red tiger Oscars. Also was using a "diatom filter" on rotation on 6 of the 7 tanks. The 7th tank was a 'sick tank' which had medicines and a little salt in the water to get the sick ones healthy. Sold all of it to a pet shop owner for $2K, including the large (at that point) oscars.

Some are sicker than others!
I guess I'd have to say the big tank and stereo were on my bucket list.

I'd forgotten this thread until it came up again.
It's been five years since I posted. My main tank is a 240g Glass Cages tank; was only $740 in 09! Don't ask me how much my total investment is:)
We call it CripZen, and it is! I'm a nature boy in a wheelchair. This is the stream I waded in and the woods I walked in. And a great source of serenity.
(The tank and Beetoven's 6th....a toss up)
It was designed for a wheelchair. The rim is at armpit height so I can touch bottom; the hood rolls on 4 miniature bearings for easy access.
The filter in the basement is on garage door tracks and lowers by a rope for servicing. An automatic water changer runs at 10gph for six or eight hours on weekends.
Maintenance really isn't much, mostly landscaping because the plants grow pretty fast.

Here is the tank today:
4233C7AA-C7C8-4AAD-9735-7E43D50334C8.jpeg 442F20A2-BE8D-48C3-A87C-8A816D4E815F.jpeg D33B3D19-6D47-4689-9260-BCEE4F9ABF4F.jpeg

Last edited:
The net is in there to desensitize the big black Angelfish. He is being donated to the local pet shop today. He lost his mate a moth ago and has been at war with the other mated male to the point that he must leave! Actually, I thing Angels are the dumb blondes of fish dom; they almost jump into the net.
Here's the filter on tracks:

UP: FF9560E7-C5D9-460B-B1BA-5F8C3A8E5138.jpeg
And down: BDC02336-B17E-4AE0-AF72-32AC853CD38E.jpeg

And here's the automatic water changer. 6A89AEE2-98C5-4462-9B33-CBDFE2D16BAD.jpeg 60F6DA47-F919-4DE3-90E5-95811BE182F3.jpeg

The idea for it came from the no longer available Meriden Water Changer which existed 30?yrs ago. Water from the cold water line comes in the 1/4" tubing, up, then across the top, spraying through a restrictor like a big water pistol.
In from that and paralleling comes a larger discharge passageway that's plugged at the front below the inflow nozzle. Then a port is drilled from the bottom up to and communicating with the discharge passage; a short stainless 1/8" pipe drops down to the tanks full water level.
The secret that makes it works is a small cross drilling; using the outlet port for access, a small port is drilled up into the pressurized/supply channel.
When turned on, the nozzle sprays int the tank @~10gph, slow enough for there to be no temperature shock, even in my 30g. The cross drilled port however, constantly sprays water down into the siphon/return line; when the water level reaches the tip of the siphon pipe under the waterchanger, it begins taking out water and stays that way indefinitely. My buddy Pete cared for the tank while we were away. He saw it was low and turned the water changer on and forgot. Best I can figure, we changed about a thousand gallons! The water was crystal clear when we got home!

Last edited:
I would love to show off my giant Oscars in their big tank but they destroy everything I put in it so there isn't much to look at.
Drive them crazy, put a mirror on the side so they can see themselves. I removed all the stuff except the under gravel filters and 3 giant Plecostomus, and one large alga eater for my 6 Oscar tanks.

I'd forgotten this thread until it came up again.
It's been five years since I posted. My main tank is a 240g Glass Cages tank; was only $740 in 09! Don't ask me how much my total investment is:)
We call it CripZen, and it is! I'm a nature boy in a wheelchair. This is the stream I waded in and the woods I walked in. And a great source of serenity.
(The tank and Beetoven's 6th....a toss up)
It was designed for a wheelchair. The rim is at armpit height so I can touch bottom; the hood rolls on 4 miniature bearings for easy access.
The filter in the basement is on garage door tracks and lowers by a rope for servicing. An automatic water changer runs at 10gph for six or eight hours on weekends.
Maintenance really isn't much, mostly landscaping because the plants grow pretty fast.

Here is the tank today:
View attachment 1160440 View attachment 1160441 View attachment 1160442

Beautiful tank! What are the cichlids in the foreground of the last photo? Gymnogeophagus?

Why doesn't my 'Quote function" work here anymore?

They are Bolivian Rams, a small, peaceful, fish that doesn't dig or destroy plants. There are ten of them and I've had them two years.
search

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I don't know if I'd grok a tank in a TV cabinet.
But.....I do have one in the bathroom...Bathroom Biotype!
I't a 10g Denerrle "shrimp tank". ~$145 Amazon incl shipping. Comes with light, glass cover, and nice little corner filter.
Just add substrate, fish, and plants and you're good to go!

Complete with a little dwarf shrimp that are breeding

And one of my favorite fish the shy little
Chocolate Gourami

Attachments

• 4577446B-5676-4340-A85B-8FC42D0DD0CB.jpeg
    4577446B-5676-4340-A85B-8FC42D0DD0CB.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 9
  • FE36B9C0-D486-4765-BBC3-EF11F7289FB1.jpeg
    FE36B9C0-D486-4765-BBC3-EF11F7289FB1.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @pfcs49 ...not sure if I'll proceed with the TV tank or not but I do think they look cool. If I do, I'll post pictures. I'm not really an aquarium guy, just more of an aquarium guy than a cat guy, lol! But I talked to my wife about it and my aquarium project is not deterring her desire for a cat so...we'll see. We may end up with both...or neither. I guess it may add some "life" to our house, although I don't really feel it lacking in that area, with a 2 year old and a 5 year old! But some plants, fish might be nice and relaxing. I work from home and don't get out much after work either (see the 2 year old and 5 year old) so I'd really get to "enjoy" the results of our small investment.

Back
Top Bottom