Show Off Your Small Listening Space

After rediscovering my vinyl, I resurrected my old system from 20-30 years ago, I've upgraded almost everything since my last post in December, 2016.

The old system:

IMG_0731.JPG

New and improved system:

IMG_2453.JPG

With exception of the VPI and cartridge everything else was bought second hand. I've made the following upgrades since then:

VPI Scout 2 with 10.5" tonearm and VTA on the fly base
Ortofon Quintet Red MC cartridge
Rogue Audio Triton phono preamp
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp
ATC scm 11 speakers
Still have my Arcam Alpha 7se CD player

Way to be persistent! Your set up looks really nice. Please tell me more about your speakers.

Onebean
The speakers are Klipsch La Scala industrials, consecutive serial numbers built in 1985. The outsides were refinished in a rough crinkle black finish, x-overs are from Crites. Each bass bin has a folded 15" woofer and the top section has two horns. Somewhere along the way someone fried one of the woofer voice coils, so I replaced both with Crites K33 replacements, which have much better bass than the original high power K43 woofers. The other drivers are stock. I use 1" wood blocks to lift the horn section above the bass bin, because I think it looks better, no audio advantage, as far as I can tell. The grills are homemade using Marshall amp cloth and help reduce the industrial look (my recognition that it is the living room). With the MC30s driving, I love them!

IMG_2443.JPG

Last edited:
Here's my updated small listening room, about 3.5 x 3.5.

4e719a46-8439-4b6c-bcb0-783fcf61b581

cNCHkKm.jpg

At the moment it consists of:
Audio Technica ATLP120 TT, Onkyo HT-R391 Receiver, Krix Lyrix Loudspeakers (main speakers), Jamo Cornet IV's with Onkyo Sub (secondary speakers).
Shitty C.D.C Cd Player, will replace soon. Headphones are Sennheiser HD449's.
All my records are stored in a Kallax.

This is less cluttered than my last setup, sounds heaps better too!

After rediscovering my vinyl, I resurrected my old system from 20-30 years ago, I've upgraded almost everything since my last post in December, 2016.

The old system:

View attachment 963840

New and improved system:

View attachment 963838

With exception of the VPI and cartridge everything else was bought second hand. I've made the following upgrades since then:

VPI Scout 2 with 10.5" tonearm and VTA on the fly base
Ortofon Quintet Red MC cartridge
Rogue Audio Triton phono preamp
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated amp
ATC scm 11 speakers
Still have my Arcam Alpha 7se CD player
YUM

Just picked up another pair of Fortes, my space is getting smaller. I think I like the Forte I just as much as I like the Forte II.
july 19th 2017 040.JPG

I am married, and my fantastic wife allows half of our basement to look like this. I do love this Junk! (I capitalize Junk, when Klipsch is involved)

Last edited:
I've no actual set up pictures yet... but the plan is in motion. Here is a post I made late May when I started lurking here again...

"I was away for quite a while, was without a place for my stereo for a bit, had a bunch of life get in the way... including at 47 years old and after 20 year together with my wife, we had our first kid (born Jan 2015). Well the 70 year old house I am fixing up as we live in it (gutted and reframed a good bit of it, totally removed the plumbing and electric for brand new... all windows replaced, exterior walls insulated with R13, etc, etc, etc) is to the point to move past a Sirius speaker box, bluetooth mono portables, and generic powered computer speakers.

My new "man cave" is a small 7'x10' converted bedroom (started life as an 8 1/2' x 11' room). Being a bassist, I have built a foot of air space between me and the house as well as 5 layers of 1/2" drywall & a course of R13 fiberglass, room within a room style. I also set the 2 new walls inside the room a few degrees off from square (length and height wise)... some strategic wall foam mixed with a ceramic time floor should leave me with a decent "room sound" for recording myself, and hopefully okay to listen in too. As is, I can CRANK that set of little computer speakers to the point of making me squint at the desk and barely hear them out in the hall."​

I still have my Sony STR-6800SD and a M&K Goliath II cube that are both needing some attention. The Sony just needs a thorough cleaning (I hope) and the sub needs new foam. I'm picking up a pair of recently refurbed JBL 4408 to run with the set up. My 'source' as been my computer forever now... it was built for audio recording so playback is part of its purpose. In the deal on the JBLs, I'm also getting a Kenwood KR-5200 for my daughter & wife to use with my Koss M80 for now, I have a pair of damaged Ohm Walsh 2XO that I might spend the money to restore (I still weep over the damage!)... but the house is tiny so the M80 should be enough to their current needs.

Music_desk.jpg

Computer goes on the floor right below where it sits now, monitors slide a bit to the left. Speakers will sit on stands just above the monitors... Sony on a shelf that will be below the cat and the sub under it... and real window treatments :)

20140803_music-room.jpg

Just picked up another pair of Fortes, my space is getting smaller. I think I like the Forte I just as much as I like the Forte II.
View attachment 970353

I am married, and my fantastic wife allows half of our basement to look like this. I do love this Junk! (I capitalize Junk, when Klipsch is involved)

Ahh Klipsch, Very Nice :thumbsup:

@biscuithead : Fantastic Wifes like that are Hard to Find.........Hold on to Her She's a Keeper.

Thanks for Sharing, Mike.

Bryston 3B and 1B pre-amp. Carver Silver 9t's Kenwood KR-9600. JBL L-100's. Monitor Audio Silver 8's. KG'4's Sansui QRX4500. Denon DN-D4000 CD. Cheap Bose turntable with AT cart. 5 pounds of poop in a 2 pound bag.

Attachments

• 20170723_112622.jpg
    20170723_112622.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom