Show some love for recievers!

I remember seeing that pic many years ago at the beginning of my AK days and was quite impressed with the beauty of it.
Thank you, that photo is a favorite of mine. That was a somewhat lucky shot. The light was just right. I have tried to duplicate it, but, I have never been as successful.

My preciousssssssssssss ...

completed2.jpg

I even autographed it after a complete restoration ...

completed-xformer.jpg

My holy grail ... I'm done buying receivers now. ;-}

That thing is a beast! How much does it weigh???

Something that struck me when looking at this thread is that a lot of these recievers look the same, especially the 70s ones. Does anyone know who started the fake wood silver face place trend?

And many of the recievers have the same options as far as switches and knobs but who started the "modern" (now vintage) standard controls? Or was it more of an evolutionary thing. "Oh, Sansui added that so now I need to add that plus this!"

Like a prior poster, I prefer a separate preamp and amp, but, in accordance to this thread, I must give it up for the Denon S500BT 5.2-channel receiver. It sports 75 wpc @ 8 ohms/0.08 THD while driving two channels which is adequate. This bad boy truly shines during multi-channel playback. The signal separation and volume output is incredible for a moderately sized "theater" like the one in my 10Wx13Lx10H bedroom. DVDs, Blu-rays, and Netflix sound simply astounding. Movies sound like movies and concerts definitely sound like concerts.

81LHl3nvFuL._SL1500_.jpg

Image credit: amazon.com

IMO it was industry wide and possibly customer driven.
WE wanted all those things on our stereos and would spend the bucks to get it..
I, as many AKrs here, lived thru that era and it was wonderful all the things you could get.
The stereo stores were full of all the stuff we wanted.
All gone now tho. Its internet buying without actually seeing or hearing.
Sad state of affairs IMO.

That thing is a beast! How much does it weigh???

That's a lightweight compared to some ... only tips the scales at 50 pounds.

Where things get interesting is the size of the thing. Had to build a custom rack to hold it. On the bright side, that gave me plenty room for a 24" monitor on the HTPC. It also just about doubled the button count on the system, which is kinda saying something ... I got a LOT of buttons to play with ... ;-}

home-again.jpg

in the 70's -80's i did utilize most of the features on my 2245 receiver. i had both cassette and 8 track recorders and the local rock radio station would play a current lp release both sides uninterrupted once a week and i was doing a lot of recording then and making mix tapes was even using the dubbing. now i just listen to LPs and a CD once in a while

Wow that looks like a BEAST! I've heard of these Onkyos.Real nice.
For me It is the Yamaha RXZ9.Considered by some the HOLY Grail of HT receivers along with a few others including that Onkyo.I'm in the process of making space for it and the speakers.I had my share of 70s receivers and considered them works of art but have moved on from them pretty much except a Sony 7065.A true beauty.
Thanks, It is a Beast and most importantly it sounds outstanding. The RXZ9 Is an excellent Uber, Mega Receiver, I owned it as well as the RXZ11 both outstanding beasts and extremely well built. They don't make them like that anymore unfortunately.

Audiofreak71

There really are some great looking receivers. I have been able to grab a few and there are numerous others I keep my eyes peeled for. Of the group below, I really like the cap coupled sound that the old Pioneer SX1000Ta puts out. It has a wood case now too.
0502170904a_resized.jpg 0211161550a_resized.jpg IMG_20140502_111827.JPG 0925161519_resized.jpg

I have two - a Yamaha CR-1020, and a Sony STR-D1090.

The Yamaha is my daily driver, and in the cabinet in the livingroom. Looks nice. Sounds nice. My first Yamaha piece, which led to my brand loyalty with them.

761E2EB9-B483-46D9-9280-E234763A6FFB_zpssyo1qf1u.jpg

A52D460F-95D8-4ADC-877F-204DF874E41C_zpswaomlotu.jpg

And the Sony is currently packed in its box waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and turn that back room into a dedicated listening lounge - got a great idea planned, all the furniture ready, just need to decide to actually get it done. I had a STR-D990 which I bought in college about 1991. It only just died a couple years ago after being subject to over a decade of salt air at my former beachfront house in San Juan. Had I been a member of AK when that happened, I would've known that 'Protection' was not the death sentence I assumed it was. I found this D1090, a step up from the D990 with its class A/B amp, on eBay for a steal last summer and decided to enjoy a familiar face and the convenience of a remote all over again. No salt air for this one! LOL

78674CD6-3306-45E8-840C-DD232084B5E5_zpsgzz7zeda.jpg

18E17710-EEEA-4CCB-9D14-BD96479A7A6A_zpsrwudafoz.jpg

4D4412FB-FAAF-44B4-82EF-69ACBBBB5929_zpsjxo4cof1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom