Show us one of your systems of yester-year...

I really like this thread.

Props to all those who posted actual pictures from back in the day.

onemalt
catcher10
jleon92f
glenn b
house de kris
jsisk
jimfet
tcdriver

The standard pics are nice, but the best photos are from those who actually wasted a picture on a film camera snapping a photo of their stereos. Back then there was no real reason to do it. So why did folks do it? Maybe it was for rental insurance purposes, that's one only reason I can think of or maybe it was a way to finish off the roll before we took it in.

Good question. For me, it was just a fun thing to do. It was likely on Christmas day with the camera out, capturing the kids opening their presents.

I had this set-up about 3 months ago:

dsc00548sn.jpg

The gear you see there is:

Speakers: Celestion DL12 Series Two, Polk Audio CSI5 (I believe) center, Polk Audio FXI3 dipole/bipole surrounds (not pictured)
Receivers: Sony STR-V5 running the Celestion DL12's and Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX with surrounds and center
TT: Luxman PD-264 w/ Sumiko Pearl (still have it)
CD/Media: Sony PS3 (still have it)

Pretty much all the gear is gone except for the TT and PS3, but the PS3 is no longer hooked up to any audio gear. It's just used strictly for TV and that's mostly for the wife.

So yeah, that was my set-up about 3 months ago! That was when it was in the living room and not in its own room like it is now. It sure has evolved and changed a LOT over the past 3 months, to what it is now:

dsc00821jd.jpg

All the gear for my current set-up is listed in my signature.

This set up used to sound good with a nice wide sound stage.The Tascam mini disc recorder & Denon CD player sounded great through the Rotel pre/power amps.

paulb-9.jpg
[/IMG]

Throughout high school, I used a Sanyo JA-220 integrated amp and whatever Sanyo speakers came with it in the System 220 package. My mom bought the whole set new in the early '80s with a tuner, cassette deck, and turntable that I didn't use. I used a crappy Gemini that I bought new for $100 in the summer after 8th grade and went through a lot of different CD players that I acquired cheaply. Most were Pioneer 6 disc changers, which I got hooked on after my uncle gave me a PD-M70 back in junior high.

The earliest picture I can find does have the Sanyo, although it was barely ever used at this point. It's from early 2010 during my 2nd semester in college.

The Sanyo JA-220 and the speakers are there, along with the Gemini TT-01. There is also a Pioneer VSX-305 with Yamaha NS-AP4400M speakers set up that I used the most. A Pioneer PD-M401 6-Disc was hooked up to that. There are some Bose Model 21s that rarely got used. I can't remember if they were set as the B speakers on the Pioneer or hooked up to that H/K receiver under the silver Sanyo.
The only things still in use in this picture are my Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray player that is in my main setup and my Pioneer CLD-2600 LaserDisc player that is in one of my other setups.

19372280.jpg

Shortly after that setup, I bought a Pioneer SX-205 because the VSX one was starting to act weird, acquired a VSX-3000 (which was pretty bad), and I bought some big early '90s Pioneer CS-G703 speakers. Then, in the summer of 2010, I finally got a decent turntable when I bought my Technics SL-1700. Around that same time, I joined this site.

24979016.jpg

After joining AK, I started getting better equipment. At the end of 2010, I got an SX-750, a PD-M900, and some KEF 104aB speakers. In the fall of 2011, I got an SL-1200MK2 and a CT-W910R. These five things that were purchased after joining AK are what make up my current system. I probably wouldn't have a system this much better than what I had in the past if it wasn't for this site.

43329018.jpg

Last edited:

onemalt
catcher10
jleon92f
glenn b
house de kris
jsisk
jimfet
tcdriver

The standard pics are nice, but the best photos are from those who actually wasted a picture on a film camera snapping a photo of their stereos. Back then there was no real reason to do it. So why did folks do it? Maybe it was for rental insurance purposes, that's one only reason I can think of or maybe it was a way to finish off the roll before we took it in.

These days you can found thousands of pictures of vintage eq on Ebay, etc.

I like the originals. We need more!

I was into photography right out of HS. Had my own darkroom. for B&W. Many 35mm and 2 1/4 formats. I like taking pictures, as the saying still goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words":thmbsp:

Thanks,
John:music::D

onemalt
catcher10
jleon92f
glenn b
house de kris
jsisk
jimfet
tcdriver

These days you can found thousands of pictures of vintage eq on Ebay, etc.

I like the originals. We need more!

Basically, I took pictures of my gear to support a nasty habit of mine that persists to this day - I like to bore random acquaintances to tears by talking about my passion, music and equipment. With pictures, I could show them my stuff on the go. I really need to get a life! :boring:

I was into photography right out of HS. Had my own darkroom. for B&W. Many 35mm and 2 1/4 formats. I like taking pictures, as the saying still goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words":thmbsp:

Thanks,
John:music::D

Nice. I used to think myself quite the photographer, but never really was. Still have a Canon AE-1 from HS and use it, recently had it repaired when my daughter needed something retro for a class.... some of the best photos I ever took were on that camera (just not of stereos) and I knew how to adust all the settings. These days I'm learning how to use my new Rebel, and fitting my old lenses onto it, fun stuff.

Back
Top Bottom