Show us something of yours that's small.

Small but rated at 50 wpc.

picture.php

If I haven't posted it earlier, this little uranium glass figure of Sparky the misbegotten racehorse, from Barney Google, is my tribute to the memory of Karma16, aka Sparky, Gerald Shaver of Los Alamos N.M. , long time AK Member/contributor. It normally sits atop my VPI HW19-MkIII with Phoenix Engineering feedback controller system and Eminent Technology ET -2 pneumatic bearing linear arm, a system he would have given his blessing.
uploadfromtaptalk1418937191463.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I sit hear listening to "Instrumental Music Of The Southern Mountains", I am surrounded by a myriad of small items that help make this room special.

It is a pleasure to see what others wish to share from your personal space.

RCA Zippo

Here's an old RCA Zippo that's been sitting on my desk:

Attachments

• RCA Zippo.jpg
    RCA Zippo.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 30
Here's an old Zippo alongside my latest tiny purchase- a miniature 24/192 DAC- it is really that small! Cost $12 and came with with a 1.5M toslink cable and a 5v 1A PSU.
I'm about to run a bunch of tests on it- it can't be as good as it sounds.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 264
....have had this little '57 T-Bird for decades...I'm 54 now - just like it!
....and my late father's small scale tractor collection (we were a small family farm)
....and of course he kept all the original boxes...he was a serious collector :yes:

Wait a minute... are these functional steam engines?

No, but this one, also in my listening area, is:

attachment.php

I also get to work on the real deal a few times each year. Edit: this one. Not in my listening area.

5753F7D8-1D01-43C3-A8AE-5A817F2B92E2_zpsyfzpgf5n.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Here's an old Zippo alongside my latest tiny purchase- a miniature 24/192 DAC- it is really that small! Cost $12 and came with with a 1.5M toslink cable and a 5v 1A PSU.
I'm about to run a bunch of tests on it- it can't be as good as it sounds.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have the same DAC, I think. Mine is Fiio-branded. Works like a charm. I was surprised too.

It actually isn't too bad. The biggest issue is each output is direct from the dac, via a 1uF capacitor with a muting transistor and both channels have 8.9mV dc on them. Not a problem for a high impedance capacitively coupled input amp.

The amp I tested it on, however, is a pure DC amp and was amplifying that offset and causing a noticeable offset on the woofer cone at a decent volume setting (the DAC output is low at about 0.5v). Not enough to trip the DC protector, but caused significant change to the sound when compared to the level matched CD player it was coming from. (remember, the DC offset is multiplied by the gain of the amp)

There is NO buffer opamp and the output capacitor is too low value for deep bass. Good enough for TV sound I guess, but not as it is for hifi.

I am going to put a decent NE5532/4 buffer and a much bigger cap on the output before putting it on the bench to test when I've got nothing better to do.

I have the same DAC, I think. Mine is Fiio-branded. Works like a charm. I was surprised too.

Nice display tractor. I just seen a functioning mini steam powered locomotive on pawn stars tonight before viewing here. It was was extremely detailed and impressive.

Attachments

• chevy.jpg
    chevy.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom