Show us Videos of your systems! Let's see and hear them!

As requested, i uploaded a vid after dialing back the horns quite a bit. The attenuation level is at 7. I do think the mic on my 7 year old iphone 4 is clipping. the horns don't sound that hot in person.

Altec Valencia 846B Mcintosh 240 and MX110, CD player as a source, which i hooked into the tape monitor of the 110.

i think this does give a pretty good representation of how huge the speakers sound in person. A lot is lost in the phone recording though. Maybe one day i'll get a better camera and mic

cheers

As requested, i uploaded a vid after dialing back the horns quite a bit. The attenuation level is at 7. I do think the mic on my 7 year old iphone 4 is clipping. the horns don't sound that hot in person.

Altec Valencia 846B Mcintosh 240 and MX110, CD player as a source, which i hooked into the tape monitor of the 110.

i think this does give a pretty good representation of how huge the speakers sound in person. A lot is lost in the phone recording though. Maybe one day i'll get a better camera and mic

cheers

No way a phone, and youtube are ever going to duplicate what you hear at home. I have built a custom made home theater using ADS speakers, and no phone, or youtube video will ever duplicate what it sounds like here. None the less, we can see it in the vids. Nice job Rollcentre. Sounded fantastic to me in my headphones!

No way a phone, and youtube are ever going to duplicate what you hear at home.

Certainly true. But I've been quite amazed at the easily discernable differences in speaker systems that have been presented so far. I suppose that's because I'm listening to all the different systems thru the same sattelite/subwoofer desktop speakers, so they've become my reference point.

The entire thread has been a lot of fun.

I haven't posted mine because my son just gave me a new I-phone and I haven't figured out how to download the video to my computer. I'm illiterate when it comes to computers, so everything that is old to everybody else is new to me. I'm working on it, though. o_O

GeeDeeEmm

No way a phone, and youtube are ever going to duplicate what you hear at home. I have built a custom made home theater using ADS speakers, and no phone, or youtube video will ever duplicate what it sounds like here. None the less, we can see it in the vids. Nice job Rollcentre. Sounded fantastic to me in my headphones!
I only listen with headphones to the videos. The whole idea is to get an idea of how all these systems sound differences.
The videos will never duplicate the actual sound unless you're using high end video and sound recording equipment, and even then once uploaded to YouTube, it's compressed.
Anyway, I'm loving to see and hear all the great systems posted so far.

Last edited:
The big thing that's missing is the seat of your listening chair shaking from the organ playing pedal notes :D

You guys'll have to take my word for it

This is such a fun recording to listen to, i had to get another video. The organ in all its majesty with all the stops pulled out...

It's a pretty dynamic passage. While recording it I had to start it with the volume rolled off more than usual so the ending wasn't distorted. Surprisingly it wasn't compressed to hell and the final big chords still make their point! unfortunately the little swells that comprise the build up are lost in the recording.

if you listen all the way to the end, its worth it.

Thanks! The 2385 is rated for 185 WPC into 8 ohms. The speakers are StudioLAB SL-450, StudioLAB speakers were sold factory direct in the Toronto area. My SL-450's are extremely rare and the only pictures of SL-450's you will find on line are pictures that I posted of these speakers.
The phone mic's doesn't do it justice, these speakers sound amazing. Also I have DIY bass traps in the front corners behind the curtains, and I have DIY acoustic panels at the first reflection points, this makes a HUGE difference.

I had a pair of SL-450 but they had four tweeters, all drivers were black and the -3db switch was on the back. Driven by a Nikko 1219 and a dual table with with Stanton 881s. That system would punch you in the chest and hard, and sound good doing it. Dearly missed.

Are these StudioLab SL450s?
$_35.JPG

Or, maybe these?

757802-vintage_studio_lab_speakers_for_sale.jpg

I found lots of StudioLab speakers posted online, but very few posters actually say what model they are. Almost all of them just say, "StudioLab Speakers." That's it.

GeeDeeEmm

Both of them are Studiolab SL450's the difference being the switch plate location and port. I'd forgotten about the fuse on the switch plate for 0db/+3db boost for the tweeter. I had the top version with all black drivers. The woofers were coated paper cones with polycarbonate tweeters. Never did blow a fuse just tweeters.
Edit- Found a picture online. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649318534-studiolab-sl45-6-driver-speakers/
1396591-studiolab-sl45-6-driver-speakers.jpg

Last edited:
Are these StudioLab SL450s?
$_35.JPG

Or, maybe these?

757802-vintage_studio_lab_speakers_for_sale.jpg

I found lots of StudioLab speakers posted online, but very few posters actually say what model they are. Almost all of them just say, "StudioLab Speakers." That's it.

GeeDeeEmm
Both of them are Studiolab SL450's the difference being the switch plate location and port. I'd forgotten about the fuse on the switch plate for 0db/+3db boost for the tweeter. I had the top version with all black drivers. The woofers were coated paper cones with polycarbonate tweeters. Never did blow a fuse just tweeters.
Edit- Found a picture online. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649318534-studiolab-sl45-6-driver-speakers/
1396591-studiolab-sl45-6-driver-speakers.jpg

All of the above speakers are SL-45's, the black woofer 45's are newer models, the SL-450 is a three-way with two tweets and a mid.
This picture is from the back of the speaker you posted, if you look above the serial number you can just make out SL-45.
1396598-studiolab-sl45-6-driver-speakers.jpg

My SL-450

index.php

index.php

Apparently it is impossible to upload Hootie and the Blowfish "Tootie" to YouTube.....All you can find are covers.....Piss me off, this recording turned out sounding real good.....:rant:
Capture.JPG

Not viewable.

I know, that's a screen shot from my video manager, for some reason this song gets blocked in ALL countries. You can't find this song on YT, only covers, I uploaded both a nearfield and a farfield video of this Hootie song and they both got blocked immediately, that sucks because they turned out good. :)

Back
Top Bottom