Show us Videos of your systems! Let's see and hear them!

Sound and look great! I noticed you have the treble turned down, you feel they are too bright with the tone settings set flat?
Good catch, I forgot to move it back to flat. Before video I was experimenting with the toggle switches on the Fives with treble control. The video was shot with the DCM's playing.

I decided I needed to make an update video since the L250s replaced the ADS 910s. Listening back to it, the limitations of the iPhone's mic saddens me...my clear teeth-rattleing bass just comes out as meh...

Anyway, I couldn't get far enough back in the room, so you don't really get to see the L250s much in the video. I have them wide and toed in, which sounds perfect from my listening chair.

Now for some good ol' prog-rock.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life. Spotify premium(this on vinyl still eludes me). Minix Win-10 PC and Schiit Modi 2 DAC. McIntosh C33 pre and MC-2155 power amps. JBL L250.

Got damn! According to the two 15" KLHs and three 12" subs in my living room, the iPhone mic didn't diminish your bass output by much... You triggered an episode of tinnitus and I'm suing! :mad: You did not exaggerate when you stated "clear teeth-rattling bass." I played your video back on my system at 61 dBA and could slightly feel it. If my wife, daughter, and son were not here and I had the preamp set at my typical 89 dBA for not-in-the-sweet-spot listening, I think I would've gotten a citation for disturbing the peace. How in the hell did you obtain that degree of bass output in your listening space? If it sounds that low via YouTube, I can't imagine what it sounds like in your home. WOW!

This is a neat thread. I had to get a vid too. Not really a tour, but a video trying to capture the Altec horns and what (imho) they do best. I'm still fairly new to these. They aren't the most attractive, but in a musical passage such as this, you suddenly forget about all that.

That sounds like the perfect music for those speakers rollcentre, stunning :rockon:

Thanks! That was full un-attenuated 811b horn. I don't usually have them running wide open, but it seemed appropriate for that.

Noise floor is a bit high there... Phono section on my mx110 with unshielded beyerdynamic SUT. I had it cranked up pretty good, honestly surprised the mic on my iPhone 4 could handle that. Probably like 85 db peak there. The blasting horn section did start to break up a bit in the recording, but in a good way imho. The was less "razz" on it in real life.

Here's another one. Kinda gives you a proper tour of the stereo. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to dust off your roller skates and grab a full can of aquanet. The record is Supremes High Energy (1976) Motown label Holland-Dozier-Holland. I don't know who that is singing, but lawd she has some pipes.

Sorry, I had 4 shots of expresso right before filming this. :D

Hi Rollcentre. Your equipment looks great. Very clean, orderly, and professional. I like!

Do you still have the horns turned up full blast on the Valencias? Thru my Altec computer speakers they sound waaaaaay too hot and overbearing. I know that attenuating the 811s causes some HF loss, but it would be nice to hear them balanced and neutral.

Being an Altec owner, too, I'm curious if you are bothered by the HF loss when the horns are balanced. This is a common complaint with the Valencias and many other Altec home speakers. Altec came up with a solution for that in the form of the 30923 "Attenuation/Equalization Network." I have it wired into my Altecs and the effect is near magical.

Excuse my presumptuousness if you are already aware of this. I'm so happy with what the network accomplished on my 802/511s that I like spreading the word about this new-fangled 40 year old cure for the Altec Horn Blues!

GeeDeeEmm

Here's another one. Kinda gives you a proper tour of the stereo. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to dust off your roller skates and grab a full can of aquanet. The record is Supremes High Energy (1976) Motown label Holland-Dozier-Holland. I don't know who that is singing, but lawd she has some pipes.

Sorry, I had 4 shots of expresso right before filming this. :D
I thought you were going to say 4 shots of Bourbon! Nice system!
Love the Motown Funk!

Hi Rollcentre. Your equipment looks great. Very clean, orderly, and professional. I like!

Do you still have the horns turned up full blast on the Valencias? Thru my Altec computer speakers they sound waaaaaay too hot and overbearing. I know that attenuating the 811s causes some HF loss, but it would be nice to hear them balanced and neutral.

Being an Altec owner, too, I'm curious if you are bothered by the HF loss when the horns are balanced. This is a common complaint with the Valencias and many other Altec home speakers. Altec came up with a solution for that in the form of the 30923 "Attenuation/Equalization Network." I have it wired into my Altecs and the effect is near magical.

Excuse my presumptuousness if you are already aware of this. I'm so happy with what the network accomplished on my 802/511s that I like spreading the word about this new-fangled 40 year old cure for the Altec Horn Blues!

GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm, I'm glad you chimed in, and thanks for the kind words. I am actually new to the speakers. I believe on this recording I did have the horns running wide open. I made 3 recordings of this actually. Wide open, one was with the attenuation set at 3.5, one set at 5. I usually listen to them at 5 and tweek them from there. I listened to all three recordings and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference on my phone. The best visually was the one with zero attenuation on the horns, and I pretty sure that's the one that got uploaded.

These are bone stock Valencia's. The only thing I did was deoxit the l-pads and snip and strip some fresh wire to the connections to the drivers inside the cab. That seemed to make a huge difference.

Thanks for letting me know about that attenuation network. I'll check into that, because yes, I do like to hear a bit of sparkle from cymbals, hi-hats, tinging on triangles etc. The ortofon SPU doesn't go too high either, but it seems the horns when adjusted at a comfortable level, roll off before the SPU runs out of highs.

Cheers :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom