Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

I like that headshell. Does it allow much skew?

No, just a very wide overhang range, which is what I needed to get the proper alignment. I do really like this style of headshell though, I had an Audio Technica D-7 back in the day and miss it!

I've been eyeing an m model. can you comment on the sonic difference?
I assume you are asking about the sonic difference between a standard 103 and a 103M? Its not the same cartridge at all. The 103M uses a non ferrous core for the coil winding, and is more like a Denon DL-S1 than anything else. But this means a low output voltage, .13 mV as I recall, and you need a step up transformer to get it to operate properly with most phono stages. It is also a higher compliance moving coil, and tracks lighter. Top end of tracking weight is 1.6 grams as I recall, and it needs a lower mass arm than a 103 is happy in. To me the 103M is far more refined, layered, and delicate sounding compared to a 103 or 103R. It's a great cartridge if you can deal with the low output voltage. They also tend to be a bit rare and difficult to find, so if you can grab one that is great, as they are still a bit under the radar in terms of price.

Regards
Mister Pig

Bob06. I raised the platter with thick rubber (or something) mat and isolated it from the machine with a very thin felt mat. Just enough spindle left for a record and the weight!

1019 4.jpg

Dual 1019 in custom built plinth with Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII (Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE until original stylus comes back from being cleaned up) and custom

built SUT

1019 3.jpg

Cork mat added to compensate for lack of VTA adjustment to level arm out.

Yes it has the feature and fully filled a few days ago with new fluid.

Great! :thumbsup: Fluid Dampening really makes a cartridge sound it's best! I have that feature on my SME 3009 arm and wouldn't be without it! Takes trial and error to get the correct fluid amount to sound the best. Listening to the same track over and over, after every adjustment of fluid. Totally worth it! :music:

Takes trial and error to get the correct fluid amount to sound the best. Listening to the same track over and over, after every adjustment of fluid. Totally worth it! :music:

I'm just in the beginning stages of doing it. I've been listening to the table for a few hours now and will start playing with it over the next few days. I have one more table I am getting ready to have redone,an Ariston RD11 Super table and am going to have a Sumiko arm installed with the 2 counterweights. I'm most likely going to use a Denon DL-103 with the Paradox Pulse body on it.

I'm just in the beginning stages of doing it. I've been listening to the table for a few hours now and will start playing with it over the next few days. I have one more table I am getting ready to have redone,an Ariston RD11 Super table and am going to have a Sumiko arm installed with the 2 counterweights. I'm most likely going to use a Denon DL-103 with the Paradox Pulse body on it.

I would pick a track with vocal to adjust the fluid dampen. When you have the right amount of fluid, the vocal will just pop! The mid-range will be more present. It's like moving up to the front of the stage! Bass will be more tuneful. Sound stage will widen, will have a 3D effect. The music will come alive! You'll definitely know when you reach that sweet spot with the fluid! Make sure your using the same track when adjusting the fluid level! Then, when you find the sweet spot listen to other types of music genres.

With your tonearm, you would just turn the pivot fluid cover on top of the arm a little bit at a time. Each little bit turn, you would listen and hear the difference.

That Denon Paradox Pulse body DL-103 is going to sound awesome on the Sumiko arm mounted to the Ariston RD11! :thumbsup::music:

That Denon Paradox Pulse body DL-103 is going to sound awesome on the Sumiko arm mounted to the Ariston RD11!

That's what I'm hoping for. The table in my Avatar picture will most likely get the Stanton 881S MKII, Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII (I have 2 of these), Shure V15 III, Grado 8MZ, Ortofon VMS 30E, or I might look for a Grace F9 , Denon 304, or a Grado Reference Reference LOMM (Moving Iron).

I have 2 more SUTs I had built for me, so I may as well put them to use.

That's what I'm hoping for. The table in my Avatar picture will most likely get the Stanton 881S MKII, Pickering XLZ-7500S MKII (I have 2 of these), Shure V15 III, Grado 8MZ, Ortofon VMS 30E, or I might look for a Grace F9 , Denon 304, or a Grado Reference Reference LOMM (Moving Iron).

I have 2 more SUTs I had built for me, so I may as well put them to use.

You really have an arsenal of classic cartridges! :thumbsup::music:

I'm using a Empire 2000Z (with a "T" stylus) on my SME 3009 arm, sounds awesome!

I'm in the process of also going separates with my amps as well. Just got an SAE Class A SET pre amp and will be putting that into play as well. Hopefully then the upgrade bug will be satisfied, unless I can get a Koetsu for the system.

When done, I will have 4 tables, of which 1 will be for multi play changing for holiday music and parties with my K-TEL records.

Back
Top Bottom