Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Mmmm, pork tenderloin. That looks really good! The GF and I love to do pork tenderloin Char Siu style. How did you roast them mostly Chines style?

-Dave

I mix in a bowl:

5 or 6 Tbsp. of Hoi Sin
2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. red food coloring
1/2 tsp. five spice powder
1 or 2 Tbsp. Xao Xing wine

Marinate for several hours (to overnight), roast on medium heat.

I mix in a bowl:

5 or 6 Tbsp. of Hoi Sin
2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. red food coloring
1/2 tsp. five spice powder
1 or 2 Tbsp. Xao Xing wine

Marinate for several hours (to overnight), roast on medium heat.

Thanks, sounds like a winner. I'm gonna add that to the "must try" list.

-Dave

OK. I have previously shared that I have a strange ability to taste something, if you tell me what is in it, as long as I am familiar with the ingredients. Sometimes I am inspired with a taste combination upon tasting a new element. Today, my muse hit me with an inspiration when I tasted a new cheese from Boars Head: Bold Marbleu, a marbled blue Monterrey Jack cheese that slices very nicely. It tastes very blue, and while enjoying the sample the proprietor provided, I was inspired, all at once, with what we had tonight. Here is the new cheese: http://boarshead.com/products/detail/1822550112-bold-marbleu-marbled-blue-monterey-jack-cheese

Bleu Turkey Delight

First, Her-Heidiness, my Sous Chef and beloved bride, made some fresh rosemary-potato soup, garnished with fresh garlic chives from the garden.

Next the sandwich inspiration: Two slices of rustic sourdough bread, incorporating toasted black and white sesame seeds, were sprinkled with a nice olive oil and lightly toasted. On one side I put a very slight swipe of whole seed mustard. On the other slice I generously slathered some of my bride's home-made apple butter. Next a layer of Boar's Head Bold Marbleu cheese, upon which I layered some thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes. Next a bed of shaved Boar's Head Maple Glazed Honey Coat, cured turkey breast (http://boarshead.com/products/turkey/270-maple-glazed-honey-coat-cured-turkey-breast). Finally, a nice layer of crisp iceberg lettuce. I must say that it tasted superb, and just exactly as I tasted in my mind when my muse struck at the deli counter.

Dinner.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Try this folks, you will be blown away. I promise.

Enjoy,
Rich P

OK. I have previously shared that I have a strange ability to taste something, if you tell me what is in it, as long as I am familiar with the ingredients. Sometimes I am inspired with a taste combination upon tasting a new element. Today, my muse hit me with an inspiration when I tasted a new cheese from Boars Head: Bold Marbleu, a marbled blue Monterrey Jack cheese that slices very nicely. It tastes very blue, and while enjoying the sample the proprietor provided, I was inspired, all at once, with what we had tonight. Here is the new cheese: http://boarshead.com/products/detail/1822550112-bold-marbleu-marbled-blue-monterey-jack-cheese

Bleu Turkey Delight

First, Her-Heidiness, my Sous Chef and beloved bride, made some fresh rosemary-potato soup, garnished with fresh garlic chives from the garden.

Next the sandwich inspiration: Two slices of rustic sourdough bread, incorporating toasted black and white sesame seeds, were sprinkled with a nice olive oil and lightly toasted. On one side I put a very slight swipe of whole seed mustard. On the other slice I generously slathered some of my bride's home-made apple butter. Next a layer of Boar's Head Bold Marbleu cheese, upon which I layered some thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes. Next a bed of shaved Boar's Head Maple Glazed Honey Coat, cured turkey breast (http://boarshead.com/products/turkey/270-maple-glazed-honey-coat-cured-turkey-breast). Finally, a nice layer of crisp iceberg lettuce. I must say that it tasted superb, and just exactly as I tasted in my mind when my muse struck at the deli counter.

View attachment 839480

View attachment 839481

Try this folks, you will be blown away. I promise.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Very nice! I have to say that I'm just a little jealous when you write about fresh vegetables from your garden as I look out the window and see snow falling. :(

-Dave

Stick to yer ribs meal tonite ... hocks 'n kraut!

hocks-and-kraut.jpg

Stewed the hocks in the kraut for about six hours in a crockpot. The slow cooling keeps them together but the meat is nice and tender. Secret ingredients are chicken stock, dry onion soup, and apples. Some folk add brown sugar, but that's too sweet for me - this is more of a sweet and sour effect. The potatoes are cubed and boiled till mostly cooked and added late to minimize starch in the pot, and both apples and potatoes are added late so they stay firm.

PS ... I'll usually get a quart of broth from this recipe. It's a great warm up drink later. Let it cool in the fridge, then peel the excess grease off the top, then nuke a cup and sip after coming in from the cold. I might add a bit of honey or applesauce to that - there, the extra sweetness works for me.

We decided to have Sauerbraten for Christmas dinner this year. I prepared two four pound roasts in bags filled with marinade yesterday morning. Here are a couple of shots of the marinade being made and packed with the meat. I turn the meat twice a day. I'll add more photos after it is finished.

IMG_9930.JPG IMG_9931.JPG

Neigh! It's not real sauerbraten unless it's got some horse in it ... <G>

Been a long time here ... Have to slap some of that together soon.

** And some Asian pot pies ... maybe with some horse in it!

Wings & Fries

Being a Texan (native son), I incline toward a dry rub, rather than a wet BBQ sauce. Hence I wanted to experiment with some wings, finding them for fairly cheap. I have not done much with wings in the past. These were baked to perfection.

The first set was rubbed with a BBQ dry rub that we got from Penzeys. The second set was rubbed with an Italian style garlic-Parmesan, also from Penzeys. The third set (my favorite) was rubbed with sea salt and cracked green pepper. On the side was fresh Ranch dressing for dipping (I found it not necessary, so I used it for the fries).

My beloved bride made her famous wedge fries (cooked in the French way). And, I made some fresh green beans with sliced almonds, pearl onions, and a bit of sweetening.

Dinner.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Prime Rib for the Holidays

We got a super deal on bone-in prime rib. So, we decided to enjoy it. First, a nice thick coating of the following paste: fresh rosemary and sage from the garden, Celtic sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, olive oil, a special blend of balsamic vinegar, and mince garlic and onion. It looks kind of burnt, but does not taste so. This all was roasted to the ideal inner temperature.

Then, the drippings were used to make a nice Yorkshire pudding. It did not pop as well as we had hoped, but it did taste excellent, dipped in hot apricot preserves and butter.

Rounding out the dinner was fresh buttered ears of corn, twice-baked potatoes, and steamed artichokes dipped in lemon butter.

Soup.JPG

Salad.jpg

Dessert.jpg

Dinner.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Breaking with tradition, having black-eyed peas with ham hocks and collard greens on Christmas Eve instead of New Year's Day. I gots my reasons! ;)

IMG_20161224_184252.jpg

I feel a song coming on.

guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif

Oh, there's nothing like hocks for the holidays
'Cause no matter how far away you roam
When you pine for the taste of some savory hog,
For the holidays you can't beat hocks, sweet hocks!

Traditional Tex Mex here. Tamales (tenderloin and pork) enchiladas-guac-re-fry bean-4 cheese Queso-salsa and pico, all scratch made right down to the enchilada sauce. Sorry no pics right now as were packing all up to take to the Pebs house in Dallas.

Christmas Dinner is over...man I am stuffed, but it was SO good.

I did up a massive 9 lb 4-bone standing rib roast.
12-25-16-Xmas-Roast-Pre.jpg

Got it to a very nice medium rare in the center with a decent crust:
12-25-16-Xmas-Roast-Done.jpg

The full meal was corn bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans in butter w/ onions and garlic, home made dinner rolls and gravy from the pan drippings
12-25-16-Xmas-Roast-meal.jpg

The rib roast was amazing!

Making soup now from the bones.

Merry Christmas to everyone and happy eating!

Country ribs tonight.

country-ribs.jpg

Ribs are just baked w/Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Cauliflower is also baked after a good coating of olive oil and minced garlic, then sprinkled with shredded colby and parmesan. The pickled okra is a bit of an acquired taster I suppose, but adds some nice tang to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom