Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by sKiZo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Cadillac Kid likes this.
  2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

jimfet, IPADave and John James like this.
  3. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

4. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

upload_2017-1-11_22-2-4.png

upload_2017-1-11_22-3-51.png

upload_2017-1-11_22-5-9.png

Pork loin roast, sweet potato home fries, and applesauce....

5. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0584.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0588.JPG

Girlfriend had a great idea for supper. She never cooks though. That's 6 of the 9 pieces of country ham I cooked. Both waffles were a little shy of batter. Better than too much. Eggs scrambled in the ham pan. Loads of butter and real maple syrup.

6. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind

Breakfast for supper is always a good call.

7. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Talking about priceless. You should see the raised eyebrow look I get from my girlfriend when I take pictures of what I cook. I just shrug my shoulders.

pustelniakr and John James like this.
  8. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid AK Subscriber Subscriber

Bourbon glazed Filet Mignon with Yukon Gold Black Truffle Potatoes.
    I have to work on my plating technique. I am always in a rush to get it to the table and stab it with a fork.

Filet and Truffle Potatoes.jpg

MaxxVolume, IPADave and jimfet like this.
  9. sKiZo

Ever pan fry a steak? Something I hadn't done in a long time ... turned out just the way I like it, medium rare going on medium. Seasoning was a mix of salt, McCormick's Mesquite, onion salt, pepper and garlic, with some really tasty coffee rub I get from the local meat market.

[​IMG]

Here's the basics on how to do it right.

Important to season the meat to taste prior to cooking and just flip it once. Mine was a thicker cut, and was more like three minutes on the first side and a bit over two after the flip. Practice makes perfect!

IPADave, jimfet and Cadillac Kid like this.
  10. Cadillac Kid

That is the technique I used. Hot cast iron skillet, a little olive oil, Wolf stove on high. It smokes and splatters but the steak cooks perfectly.

High BTU burner, smoke, grease and flames when the Bourbon hits the hot pan.

Dude cooking is fun. Don't forget to reserve an once or two of the Trace for the chef..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  11. trhee

trhee ㅇtㅈyㅅr

That's the traditional method but Heston Blumenthal would disagree. Like most things in life, there are multiple methods to achieve similar and superior results.

12. sKiZo

So, like ... you're saying I should be stepping on steak before serving it? ;-}

[​IMG]

I got some of it right ... next go round, I'll do the 15 second flip and see if it makes any difference. I figure I'm good if the "crust" is equal on all sides and there's no bloody bits indicating undercooking (for me) in the center ...

PS ... I'd disagree with his "the way most people do it" statement. I expect that would be more like grilling or broiling vice pan frying ...

13. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

I`ve been using the Blumenthal method with great success for a couple of years now, it always gives good results.

upload_2017-1-16_14-58-11.png

14. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

Tonight`s dinner....corned-beef hash `n eggs....

upload_2017-1-16_20-7-21.png

elcoholic, jimfet and pustelniakr like this.
  15. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think this method works well for a steak that is an inch, or so thick. For a steak that's knocking on 2 inches I prefer to sous vide, and then sear in a nuclear hot cast iron skillet.

Steak-ed.jpg

-Dave

Erik Tracy, Smitty43, jimfet and 3 others like this.
  16. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Subscriber

South Indian Sambar

Simple but seriously tasty: south Indian-style Sambar with carrots, radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, okra, and heirloom orange tomato. This stuff is a bit tricky to master, but quite easy once you get the hang of it. This batch was some of the best I've made.

The Sambar was served with plain and cracked pepper papadum with mint chutney and garlic/onion jam. My wife brought the jam home and we had a hard time finding a good use for it. She got inspired tonight, and dog-gone-it, it goes great with papadum and Indian food.

Dinner.jpg

Dinner Close-Up.jpg

Enjoy,
    Rich P

Cadillac Kid, MaxxVolume and IPADave like this.
  17. gogofast

gogofast Addicted Member

This dish would be perfect for seattle weather. It's been windy, chilly, and raining for all day.

18. sKiZo

Nothing better for a cold rainy day than some good ol' sweet potato and corn chowder!

[​IMG]

Sweet potatoes and corn (of course), in a chicken gravy stock w/crumbled bacon, onions, and sage sausage, mild peppers and celery. Lightly seasoned with cayenne pepper and brown sugar.

MaxxVolume and IPADave like this.
  19. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

Breaded veal topped with a lemon parsley sauce served with mashed red potatoes.

-Dave

breaded veal 3.JPG

20. Cadillac Kid

Snowy Night Minestrone

IMG_2560.JPG

Attached Files:

MaxxVolume, IPADave and jimfet like this.