Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Surf and turf! Nice blade too.

+1 on the surf and turf and knife.

Farm raised shrimp scare me. I've read too many things about the chemicals and the bacteria that they contain. The latest thing that heard on NPR is that in Southeast Asia the plants that process the shrimp are using what amounts to slave labor.

-Dave

I've spent the last couple of evenings reading trough this entire thread. Lots of great stuff, guys!

I'm a big fan of pasta, myself - not a bad thing when you've got a seven-year-old in the house.
A couple of favourites are amatriciana, and carbonara:

Ratatouille is a good way to get the wee one to eat her greens. Another plus is that it tastes great with any kind of meat, and that it reminds me of being on holiday i southern France as a kid.

Today we had salmon with potatoes, sautéed kale, and hollandaise

Smoked pork chop on a bed of stuffing, with peppers and onions on the side.

smoked-chops.jpg

Be still my beating heart ...

(thump thump ............... __________________________ <ZAP!> ..... thump thump) <G>

who made the pretzel buns? you or the mrs?

The corner meat market ... ;-}

Real tasty though. I brown them up a bit with my handy dandy quartz oven. That's a nice thing to have on the counter for bagels and muffins and slamwiches oh my. Killer for quickie ham 'n cheese. I was almost heartbroken when one of the heating tubes broke, but ended up getting a brand new factory sealed unit off that auction site the same day. Not bad considering they stopped making em 30 years ago!

s-l300.jpg

Homemade cod chowdah mmmhmmmm an a few raw quote for snacking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170219-131653.png
    Screenshot_20170219-131653.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20170219-131616.png
    Screenshot_20170219-131616.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 15
2 lbs of cod fish, potatos, onion,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170219-131718.png
    Screenshot_20170219-131718.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20170219-131702.png
    Screenshot_20170219-131702.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 17
Toaster ovens are money! and money saving. Place I worked at chowder preparation involved Cuisinarting celery, onion, and bacon then just dump it in.

Light Japanese Fare Tonight

I took a couple of liberties with the recipes here, but I had a definite taste for Japanese-style food.

First, I wanted to make Hot Spring Egg on Asparagus. This calls for a very soft-boiled egg, like you could produce in a well-known Japanese hot spring. However, our eggs are fresh from the backyard chickens, so would not let go of their shells readily, so I settled for light hard-boiled. The fresh asparagus was lightly blanched and dressed with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, mayonnaise, and sushi vinegar.

For the soup I liked the idea of Cabbage and Bacon Miso Soup, but, being Jewish, bacon does not cut it. I then used a nice smoked trout instead. In addition to the trout, the soup contains sliced cabbage and kombu/shiitake/katsuobushi dashi and miso.

Next, we had "Tatsuta-age" Deep Fried Chilean Sea Bass. The recipe called for mackerel, but fine, Japanese mackerel is not available to me, so I went to visit our local fish-monger and came away with some very fresh Chilean Sea Bass belly. First, parboiled bamboo shoots were sliced to bite-size and marinaded in mushroom infused soy sauce, and grated ginger, then coated in corn starch and deep fried. The sea bass was prepared in the same way as the bamboo shoot. The sea bass was dusted with Bhutanese sansyo pepper, and the bamboo shoot was dusted with aonori.

Finally, we enjoyed some quality Japanese rice, sprinkled with black sesame seeds.

Dinner.jpg

Salad.jpg

soup.jpg

Dinner Close-Up.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Continuing the Japanese Theme...

This dish is normally a shared hot pot meal, simmered in a common ceramic cook-pot. When we have guests, we do it that way. When we are alone, we tend toward individual presentations, in small caste-iron skillets, which work very well.

The simmering sauce consists of kombu/shiitake/katsuobushi dashi, mirin, mushroom-infused soy sauce, sake and Vietnamese palm sugar.

First, very thin-sliced, well-marbled ribeye is sauteed in beef tallow. Then, the simmering sauce and all of the rest of the simmered ingredients are added: decoratively cut carrot, firm tofu that has been pan fried on each side, fresh scallions that have been cut on the bias, sliced red onions, shirataki (yam noodles), fresh udon noodles, sliced Taiwan napa cabbage, and shiitake mushrooms that had been dried and reconstituted during the production of the dashi.

On the side we enjoy a small bowl of Japanese short-grain rice.

Dinner (2-24).jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom