Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Traditional holiday fare today. Took a putt to one of my favorite smokehouses a ways down the road yesterday, and came back with a saddlebag full of jerky, salmon, and brats ...

apple-brats-(3).jpg

do they have a website?

Sounds great.

My guy, across the street is considered the best in the state at this type fare.

MEAT RUN!!

If you're ever up in Newaygo, Michigan ... I load up on smoked stuff, then head next door for a killer River Stop Deluxe sandwich. Swing down to the Tamazula Mart in Grant for a load of real old country Mexican food (chorizo and molasses pigs!), then maybe a stop at Bird Farm Meats south of there on the way home if it's sausage season.

newaygo-eats.jpg

PS ... I've got insulated saddlebag inserts, and they're big bags ... I can load up a LOT of meat. Urp!

4x4Cobras.jpg

Oh. Jerkies only sells jerky on the website. You gotta make the trip for the rest of the goodies.

http://www.jerkiesjerkyfactory.com/

MEAT RUN!!

If you're ever up in Newaygo, Michigan ... I load up on smoked stuff, then head next door for a killer River Stop Deluxe sandwich. Swing down to the Tamazula Mart in Grant for a load of real old country Mexican food (chorizo and molasses pigs!), then maybe a stop at Bird Farm Meats south of there on the way home if it's sausage season.

newaygo-eats.jpg

PS ... I've got insulated saddlebag inserts, and they're big bags ... I can load up a LOT of meat. Urp!

4x4Cobras.jpg

Oh. Jerkies only sells jerky on the website. You gotta make the trip for the rest of the goodies.

http://www.jerkiesjerkyfactory.com/

way cool, it's all jerky!

Surprised they don't ship their sausage sticks ...

jerkies-jerky2.jpg

Just happened to have a piece left of the maple cured salmon ... thought I'd share before pigging out.

jerkie-salmon-(1).jpg

PS ... best pickle in the world IMHO ... Cracovia Polish Dills, straight from the old country.

Beautiful! If you don't mind me asking. . . where about do you live?

-Dave
I live in Cupertino, California. Up the street from Apple Computer's new spaceship. The chanterelles were local, along the foothills. Morels, we went up to 6000' into the Sierras.

I live in Cupertino, California. Up the street from Apple Computer's new spaceship. The chanterelles were local, along the foothills. Morels, we went up to 6000' into the Sierras.

Thanks, I was curious about where you did your mushroom gathering. Happy hunting!

-Dave

Next installment in iconic food captures...
Japanese "Dynamite"

We have a very good Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar, here in Tucson, called Yamato. The chef has a way of dealing with the bits and pieces that result from preparing sushi and sashimi. He calls it "Dynamite." This may be a common dish elsewhere. I just have not seen it elsewhere. In any case, I like to have my favorites without leaving home. I've captured another one.

In this case, we have some very nice, very fresh fishes from our local fish-monger: grouper, ahi (yellowfin tuna), sake (Scottish salmon), and suzuki (Chilean sea bass). These are covered with a combination of mayonnaise and sriracha. The results are placed in a toaster oven and baked, favoring the top, until there is a nice caramelization. Once the dishes cool down, ikura (salmon roe) is sprinkled on the top.

The dynamite is served with Japanese short-grained rice (sprinkled with toasted black sesame seeds), and edamame.

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
South Indian Fare With a Touch of Fusion

We had fish left over from our Japanese Dynamite, so I decided to make something Indian to change the pace. We also had some of the Japanese rice leftover, so we used that too.

First (top), we had South Indian Sambar, which is a spicy soup, based upon yellow lentils (toor dal) and tamarind paste, with a variety of spices. You can put just about any vegetables in as you wish, so we put in carrots, green beans, okra, and New Mexico green chilis.

Next (right), I made some of my mushroom mutter makhani, which consists of peas, diced tomatoes, and quartered crimini mushrooms, in a sauce, consisting of: tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, chopped cashew nuts, cumin, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric, fresh cream, fenugreek leaves, garam masala (special spice mixture), and sugar. This is all garnished with fresh cilantro.

Finally (left), I made coconut curry fish, consisting of our leftover grouper, Chilean sea bass, Scottish salmon, and ahi tuna, in a sauce, consisting of: ginger, garlic, diced tomato, garam masala, chili powder, black pepper, salt, coconut milk, and New Mexico chilis.

IMG_1674.JPG IMG_1675.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Chicken Pad Thai

This one is a veritable staple around these parts. We enjoy it as often as at least once every couple of weeks. It is one of the oldest Thai dishes.

First, vegetable spring rolls: fresh spring roll wrappers, glass noodles, scallions, cilantro, grated carrot, shredded Napa cabbage, fresh ground black pepper, and salt. These are served with "Mae Ploy" sweet chili sauce.

Next, the Pad Thai: Pad Thai sauce (water, unsweetened tamarind paste, palm sugar, "Red Boat" fish sauce, and salt), fresh mung bean sprouts (we like to grow our own, so I can have them with more bean than normal), fresh Pad Thai rice noodles, chopped red onions, scrambled eggs (with soy sauce and chopped garlic), chunks of chicken thigh meat. This is served with chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, fresh lime (to squeeze in), and fresh scallions.

IMG_1709.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

St Louis ribs on the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Overall family rating was 8.75.

I got dinged for outer pieces being a tad dry - the inner pieces were off the chain! Great smoke (hickory and apple), sweet with a bit of heat for the rub, and tender.

Otherwise, family high scores of 9.0

St-Ribs-after.jpg

Served with crispy fries, and skillet green beans w/ onions.

The pictures speak for themselves but how are you liking the Smokey Mountain? I have $260 in Amazon gift certificates burning a whole in my pocket and have been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Weber. What size did you go with?

Back
Top Bottom