Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0725.JPG

Being it's the 4th, I bet the grills are fired up today. Let's see what cha got. Just waiting for the sauce to glaze on the first foto and a ready plate on the second. Hey! I like black pepper on my butter beans and ham hock. Oh, and some toasted garlic bread. Chased down with a couple beers. Now maybe a Kamikaze for desert. After the nap, how bout some vanilla ice cream and home made blackberry syrup.

Last edited:
View attachment 961522 View attachment 961524

Being it's the 4th, I bet the grills are fired up today. Let's see what cha got. Just waiting for the sauce to glaze on the first foto and a ready plate on the second. Hey! I like black pepper on my butter beans and ham hock. Oh, and some toasted garlic bread. Chased down with a couple beers. Now maybe a Kamikaze for desert. After the nap, how bout some vanilla ice cream and home made blackberry syrup.
Looks like some high quality pork there what's your secret brand?

Final day of the holiday grill fest was last night. :(

Burgers. 1/2lb specialty grind from my butcher, soft thick chew Kaiser roll, grilled onions, sliced tomato, cheese, NM Hatch green chile, and guacamole.

7-4-17-green-chile-burgers.jpg

Juicy, messy, deliciousness.

Final day of the holiday grill fest was last night. :(

Burgers. 1/2lb specialty grind from my butcher, soft thick chew Kaiser roll, grilled onions, sliced tomato, cheese, NM Hatch green chile, and guacamole.

7-4-17-green-chile-burgers.jpg

Juicy, messy, deliciousness.

That burger looks awesome. I started a hamburger thread a couple of weeks ago in quest of the perfect hamburger. May have to try another combo this weekend. :)

That looks Damn good. A piece of garlic bread and an ice cold beer and it would be perfect. I would have a smile during my nap.

We got a couple a' nice ribeye's cooked med rare, seared to perfection, baked taters, sweet corn, sweet peppers and vidalia onions which will finish cooking while the steaks calm down.
All cooked on the Weber Kettle.

Washing it all down with a few Corona's
KY bourbon and a full moon tonight.

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me. I've got a steak i need to prepare (defrost actually)
Corona's from the bottle taste SOOOOOO much better BTW

Special Indian Feast

Having received a request for an evening of Indian delights, I researched up a menu of entrees that would meet the requirements for the requesting couple: no dairy, and gluten-free. It was not as easy as one might think. Dairy is very common, and I found that substituting coconut milk for cream and yogurt worked quite well. I will say that Indian food, in this variety, is a very demanding, laborious process, but it was well worth it.

First, three different kinds of papadum (crisps made from lentils), plain, black pepper, and green chile pepper. To dip the papadum in, I made fresh Cilantro Mint Chutney (a pureed mixture of cilantro, mint, onion, lime juice, jalapenos, sugar, and salt). Also for dipping, we had some sweet garlic and onion chutney (from a jar).

Next, we had Classic Masala Dosas. The filling consisted of diced gold potatoes, chopped cilantro, diced jalapenos, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped Thai dragon chiles, diced onion, sea salt, turmeric, asafetida, grated ginger, minced garlic, and curry leaves. The dosas are a kind of crepe, made with soaked and ground rice and black lentils, fenugreek seeds, and sea salt. The batter is then allowed to ferment for several hours. The results are like filled crepe tacos, and were most excellent.

Next, we had a traditional South Indian Sambar: toor dal (yellow lentils), turmeric, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, Thai dragon chiles, cubed tomatoes, tamarind pulp, sea salt, sambar powder, green beans, sliced radishes, and jalapenos.

Next, we had Chana Biriyani (a sort of Indian rice pilaf): chick peas, minced garlic, minced ginger, coconut milk, chopped onion, basmati rice, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, green cardamom, cilantro, mint leaves, cubed tomatoes, and jalapenos.

Next, we had Mushroom Mutter Makhani: king trumpet mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, sweet peas, cumin seeds, chopped onions, chili powder, fresh ground coriander powder, turmeric, coconut milk, garam masala (special spice mix), sugar, fenugreek leaves, salt, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped cashew nuts, and cilantro,

Finally, we had Chicken Tikka Masala: chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, minced garlic, tomato paste, garam masala (special spice mix), sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, cubed chicken thighs, cilantro, and coconut milk.

papadum.jpg

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Grilled steak tacos on Friday...simple, healthy and delicious. Buy some cheap steak (I used top sirloin) and season it nice and well with salt/pepper. Grill until rare over super hot grill; Slice very thin. Two corn tortillas with some Greek yogurt; place steak on tortillas; a little Tapatio hot sauce; fresh diced Vidalia onion and cilantro. To die for.

tacos.jpg

Chinese/Japanese Fusion Night

Sometimes I just get a taste for stuff that cannot be resisted. Today, I wanted Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken, and did not have a taste for plain old rice. I opted for a twisted form of Japanese Yakisoba. I had no choice. My tummy must be obeyed.

First, the twisted Yakisoba: fresh yakisoba noodles, shredded red cabbage, minced ginger, white and orange carrot, sliced scallions, sesame oil, ketchup, mushroom infused soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mirin, and home-made habenero sauce.

Next, the Sichuan Kung Pao Chicken: chunks of fresh chicken thigh meat, chunks of zucchini, Sweet red and orange peppers, dry-roasted peanuts, scallions, minced garlic, minced ginger, Alfonso Gourmet Balsamic Vinegar, mushroom infused soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, Sichuan pepper, star anise, black cardamom, and red chile flakes.

To wash it all down: a nice vodka and pink grapefruit juice.

Kung Pao.JPG

Close.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Styled after Samurai, Tucson: "The Special"

Now that I have satisfied my desire for "The Special" from Samurai of Tucson, I make it at home. Having some left-over Yakisoba from yesterday, I decided that I wanted "The Special."

First, the twisted Yakisoba: fresh yakisoba noodles, shredded red cabbage, minced ginger, white and orange carrot, sliced scallions, sesame oil, ketchup, mushroom infused soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mirin, and home-made habenero sauce. On top, I added some nice crimini mushrooms, which I sauteed in butter, sea salt, and black pepper.

Next, I made some nice, simple potato salad: russet potatoes (boiled, smashed and chilled), mirin, sake, salt, and black pepper. This was served on a bed of finely shredded savoy cabbage.

Next a simple bed of short-grained Japanese rice.

Finally, my Teriyaki Chicken: chicken thigh meat (cut into 1" cubes, and sauteed in peanut oil), Soy Vay "Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce," sliced scallions, and sesame seeds.

All of this was washed down with a sparkly glass of S. Pellegrino mineral water.

Teriyaki.JPG
Enjoy,
Rich P

Decided it was a nice weekend to cook up some prime rib, cut a 12 pound roast into a pair of 6 pound roasts :)

At a temp of 225 I bring the internal temp of the meat to 120, then pull it off to rest while i get the coals blazing. Then once the internal temp of the meat has started to drop a little I take the roasts and throw them right on the coals for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. That gets a nice little crust on it, comes out a nice medium rare.

Decided it was a nice weekend to cook up some prime rib, cut a 12 pound roast into a pair of 6 pound roasts :)

At a temp of 225 I bring the internal temp of the meat to 120, then pull it off to rest while i get the coals blazing. Then once the internal temp of the meat has started to drop a little I take the roasts and throw them right on the coals for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. That gets a nice little crust on it, comes out a nice medium rare.

Wow! That's perfectly cooked. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom