Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by sKiZo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Justgotohm

Justgotohm AK Subscriber Subscriber

image.jpeg
    Um yeah, I live on a breeding farm for Black Angus cattle and that's a fine looking cut.
    Today was crew change at work so I usually cook something that doesn't make a mess and is quick and easy. Today it was red rice and sausage.
    image.jpeg
    Large sauce pan,
    Olive oil heated add bacon chopped fine, garlic chopped fine let cook down a few minutes.
    Add one chopped green pepper and a half onion chopped fine, let cook down.
    Add two packs smoked sausage cut into 1/4 think circles, let brown heavily.
    By the time the sausage is browned heavily the garlic and bacon is cooked way down almost black.
    Add two large cans of chopped stewed canned tomatoes juice and all, add Tabasco, black pepper, a little crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Let this cook down 15-20 minutes or so and marry together.
    I used four cups cooked rice and blended everything in a large pot. Let sit 20 minutes or so to marry, done.
    image.jpeg

2. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

Sounds terrific.

3. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Subscriber

Continuing the Persian Theme

I had several types of fishes from our Japanese Dynamite Night. I have become intrigued by the dried Persian black lime. These are limes, boiled in brine, then dried in the sun. They have quite a unique flavor, that has my innovative section glowing red. Tonight, I also discovered verjuice, which is juice from unripe grapes. It is too sour to drink alone, but adds a very interesting dimension when used as an ingredient. These two new ingredients (for me) spark the tongue tonight.

First, we had the remainder of the Chelow (Persian Rice) from the other night: specially prepared bazmati rice with cumin, butter, and parsley. We ate all of the tahdiq (golden crust) the other night.

Next, a Persian-Style Tomato and Avocado Salad: 3 kinds of heirloom tomatoes (diced), haas avocados (diced), minced garlic, chopped red onions, coarsely chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.

Next, some nice garlic and parsley naan ( a tasty flat bread).

Finally, Persian Skewered Tamarind Fish with Black Lime Butter: large cubes of fishes (ahi tuna, Scottish salmon, Chilean sea bass, grouper, and red snapper), marinated in tamarind paste, turmeric, kalamata olive oil, and grated onion. After marinating, the fish was loaded onto short skewers, alternating with fresh bay leaves (they smoke on the grill,adding an amazing dimension). When grilling was complete, the fish skewers were dressed with a sauce, consisting of Persian black limes, verjuice, fresh lime juice, fresh thyme, butter, and fresh garlic chives.

To wash it all down, a cocktail, made up of vodka, pomegranate juice, and verjuice. It was quite refreshing.

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

Enjoy,
    Rich P

eljr, kirkendoll, IPADave and 2 others like this.
  4. K_50

K_50 Member

Pot roast chicken:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deepsouth, eljr, kirkendoll and 4 others like this.
  5. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

^^^^^
    That's looks very tasty!

-Dave

6. pustelniakr

Another Iconic Food Capture
    Joe's Special, Captured from Mama Louisa's, Tucson

Lately, I have been giving attention to capturing iconic foods from various places in the world. Today, I took my first shot at this one. I cut a corner, by not making my own marinara sauce. It turned out so good that I don't think I will change it.

First, the meatballs: ground chicken, fennel, sun-dried tomatoes, flat-leaf parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, basil, paprika, sugar. These were baked with the spaghetti, on thin slices of russett potato drizzled with olive oil.

Now for the Joe's special: a bed of Barilla spaghetti noodles, sprinkled with sauteed garlic, and dusted with red pepper flakes. A layer of provolone cheese goes on next, followed by a layer of sauteed diced onion. All of this is topped with Del'Amore original style marinara sauce. This is the best tasting prepared marinara I have found to date.

This is all baked to perfection and there you have it.

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Enjoy,
    Rich P

eljr, kirkendoll and IPADave like this.
  7. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0742.JPG
    Cooked a few beef ribs today. This happens every time I walk in the store and beef ribs are marked down. Served them with buttered corn and baked beans.

C6Bill, deepsouth, eljr and 3 others like this.
  8. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

Awwww man, that looks soooooo good! Did you use a smoker, grill or oven?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM
  9. jimfet

jimfet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oven. I prefer my beef ribs in the oven. Or at least started in the oven and finished on the grill. Had they been pork ribs it would have been on the grill.
    I love thick tender beef ribs as much as pork, but around here they want so much for them. That's why I bought these marked down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM
  10. deepsouth

deepsouth AK Subscriber Subscriber

I made poutine and chicken and oyster gumbo over the weekend. For the fries, I followed Tony Bourdain's Les Halles Pommes Frites method.

[​IMG]Food by deepsouth1970, on Flickr

I didn't get a finished pic of the gumbo, but you get the idea. It had chicken, ham, veal & oysters in it, along with the holy trinity.

K_50, jimfet and IPADave like this.
  11. pustelniakr

Twisted Thai Night

First: Thai Butternut Squash Soup: butternut squash, garlic, onion, ginger, red curry paste, coconut milk, garnished with ground peanuts, cilantro and lime juice.

Next, Spring-rolls: slivered carrots, shredded napa cabbage, cilantro, scallions, and glass noodles, garnished with sweet chili sauce.

Next, Thai Rice: jasmine rice, garlic, ginger, onion, fresh lime juice, red pepper flakes, toasted peanuts, cilantro, Thai basil, salt, pepper, and scallions. This was cooked Persian style, resulting in tahdiq (golden crust).

Finally, Thai Green Curry: green curry paste, chunked chicken thigh meat, coconut milk, shredded kafir lime juice, roasted and peeled poblano chiles, shredded Thai basil, wedges of red onion, green beans, sliced zuchini, and cilantro.

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

Enjoy,
    Rich P

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    IPADave likes this.
  12. elcoholic

elcoholic Just Nevermind Subscriber

39806A76-4DEA-4523-B8F1-10CFBAD179B9.JPG Teriyaki chicken grilled over oak charcoal, steamed Jasmine rice and veggies. For the sauce I start with Mr Yoshida's, doctor it with fresh or candied ginger, brown sugar and fish sauce.

jimfet, IPADave and pustelniakr like this.
  13. hjames

hjames Nabbed ... Subscriber

Emma fixed us a delicious meal Satday night ... roasted 2 chicken sausages (feta and spinach) , with roasted brussell sprouts.
    Then a nice plateful of Spaghetti and red sauce ...grated mozzarella - oh my gosh - it was just SO GOOD!
    Big glass of ice tea w/a shot of Orange/pineapple juice for zest ... (Sausage and Brussell sprouts from Giant, of all places!)

SatDayDinDin.jpg

IPADave likes this.
  14. Zeego

Zeego Illegitimi non carborundum Subscriber

That's very cool you have access to those black limes! I'm currently drinking a beer that was brewed with black limes. Delicious and tarty. Delicious looking food Rich!

seaquench.jpg

15. K_50

K_50 Member

It was!
    That dish is one of my favourites for casually having people over because everybody likes it, and once it's on the stove I don't have to spend any more time in the kitchen than what it takes to finish the gravy, and carve the bird. Plus, it's a nice excuse to make a batch of pickled cucumbers, which are always nice to have for sandwiches or as a side :)

Today we had seared pork fillet with a potato/red kale/coriander salad, and romaine lettuce w/ vinagraitte and parmesan.

[​IMG]