Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

index.php

I could do some real damage to that!

-Dave

Made a roast beef in the smoker this summer that looked that good and tasted as good as it looked.
Mmmmmmmm....mmmmmmm, I loves roast beef,

just none of that leathery, overcooked, soaking for endless hours in the gravy type

Dutch Babies

We were given quite a few Granny Smith apples. I'm not a big apple man, but we needed to eat them, or prep them to put up. My beloved bride prep'd them to put up, and save some back to make me a nice Dutch Baby for breakfast.

I did not make these, so, I don't have the specifics, other than they were made with pop-over dough and apples in caste iron skillets. I do know that this is a most excellent breakfast.

Dutch Baby 1.jpeg

Dutch Baby 2.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich

Frijoles Rancheros

My grandparents, of blessed memory, raised my sisters and I, from the time our mother committed suicide (I was 12, and came home and found her). My grandparents lived through the great depression, ane developed tastes for a variety of nutritious meal combinations. To this day, I get a taste for those foods, which we ate on a fairly regular basis. This is one of them

I found some really good, genuine beef bacon (comes in a slab) that I wanted to try out in a pot of beans. I found it in a local Middle-Eastern store (Brother and Sister brand).

First, frijoles rancheros (ranch style pinto beans): fresh dry pinto beans, a nice amount of diced beef bacon, Hawaiian sweet onion, fresh ground black pepper, and sea salt. Most do not put salt into the pot until the beans are done. This is because it might tend to make them a bit tough. For my purposes, I hate mushy beans, and they need to stand up until they are all consumed, so I put salt in at the outset of simmering.

Next, a nice cornbread. My great-grandmother, of blessed memory, used to make cornbread for literally every meal. I had never made one, but it turned out quite good: unbleached four, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, butter, and an egg.

The beans and cornbread provide for a complete protein complement, and tastes pretty good too.

54F21681-C5AA-4E75-9617-28D6CA0207C0.jpeg

6867EE4A-DABB-44A6-B5FA-2D74EF3C98E0.jpeg

D1C843DF-AE14-4D64-8586-CF575EC37FD1.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Corrupted, but Good Chili

Being a native son of Texas, I do understand and agree with the idea that real chili has no beans or tomatoes. However, when I make a chili dog, I do add tomatoes and beans. For me, this meal is essentially a chili dog, hence the corruption. The beans came from my Frijoles Rancheros entree, up-thread.

The true Texas Chili contains the following: dried ancho chilis, ground cumin seeds, fresh ground black pepper, sea salt, Texas tri-tip, chopped Hawaiian onions, minced garlic, beef stock, masa harina (corn tortilla four) dark brown sugar, Mexican chocolate, white vinegar, Negro Modelo beer, and a splash of Thai fish sauce (wakes up the other flavors).

For me, I put the beans and chili together, and added a couple of nice Hebrew National hot dogs, and ate it all up with "Cabaret" crackers. My beloved bride ate the bean and chili combo with some of my nice cornbread (seen up-thread). We both garnished with fresh chopped cilantro and onions.

Chili both.jpeg

Chili 1.jpeg

Chili 2.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Huevos Rancheros

This is a recipe I developed when I was living in the barracks, in Germany, back in '76. We were not supposed to cook in in our rooms, but I had a full-up kitchen in one of my closets (perk of being an NCO). When I was making my beans, folks would show up from all floors, and both ends, with bowls in their hands.

For the enchilada sauce, I took of my true Texas chili, seen up thread, and reduced it down to sauce thickness.

Here is how this is constructed: a flat, crisp fried corn tortilla; a layer of specially spiced ground beef; another flat, crisp fried corn tortilla, a nice plop of some of my frijoles rancheros (seen up-thread), my true Texas chili enchilada sauce, and a couple of over easy eggs. This is all sprinkled with chopped sweet Hawaiian onions, and cilantro.

0B96B047-951B-4ABA-8402-CF2BF6518A2A.jpeg

6FDF4EF5-0222-437E-94AB-01547929291C.jpeg

259DE764-115B-4F1D-8B73-BD711DA53820.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Chili. Purists will probably scoff at its lack of authenticity - tomatoes, beans, not at all the proper chilies. But it was yummy, so I blow my nose at them ;)

Cooked in my new favourite pan. Almost 3mm. thick tin-lined copper, 22cm. across.

Served with jalapenos, and sour cream

IMG_0797.JPG IMG_0800.JPG

How bout Black Friday breakfast. I'm using my little 8 inch teflon egg frier this morning. Fried me a piece of city ham and topped it with a runny egg. Leftover roll. Chased with a glass of orange juice and 2 shots of espresso for desert. Just so you know I'm not crazy. There will be no Black Friday shopping from me today. I'm grilling some Cod later today and then going to my local pub to have a few drafts.

Rib Steak Splurge

I usually don't go for big price beef steaks, but wanted to bless my beloved bride with something special.

First, a nice rib steak, dusted with sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper, broiled to a nice medium rare finish.

The steak was served with my famous Hellish Relish: sweet onion, crimini mushrooms, and habanero chiles, broiled to a black-edged niceness, then minced together and made into a paste by adding Red Boat Vietnamese fish sauce.

Next, Brussels sprout leaves, quickly sauteed with pistachio nuts, lemon juice, and grape seed oil.

Next, twice-baked potatoes, with butter, sour cream, baked with a topping of mild cheddar cheese.

Finally, homemade Parker House rolls, in a fan tail form, served with fresh butter.

TwoUp.jpeg

Single.jpeg

Relish.jpeg

Rolls.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom