Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Korean-Style Ad Lib

Getting nicely re-acquainted with the Korean spice palette, and having a bit of leftovers from the last couple of days, I decided to improvise just a bit...

First, some nice duck legs, marinaded in soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sugar and minced garlic. These were roasted at low temperature, and, near the end, they were brushed with our leftover Bibimbap sauce (gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), toasted sesame oil, raw sugar, water, toasted and crushed sesame seeds, rice vinegar, and minced garlic).

Next a couple of leftover Korean banchan (side dishes, see my recent posts, up-thread for elements): fish cake, stir-fried potato, and pink radish pickles.

Next, a nice, improvised fried rice: leftover short-grain Japanese sushi rice, sliced scallions, black sesame seeds, coarse-ground black pepper, sea salt, and gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes).

Finally, to wash this treat down, a refreshing glass of vodka and pink grapefruit juice.

Dinner.jpeg

Close2.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Watching Rich's excellent dishes inspired me to do something I haven't done in years; Thai red curry:
Nice. What's in it (quantities not required)? You tell me what's in it, and I can taste it, and I do want to taste it. :naughty:

Enjoy,
Rich P

Paste:

Cumin seed
Coriander seed
Anise seed
Pepper
Salt
Galangal root
Shallots
Thai red chilis
Garlic
Lemon grass
Coriander root

The rest: coconut cream with chicken broth, chicken breast (thigh for my wife), eggplant, bamboo shoots, and basil. I prefer Thai eggplant, but couldn't find any here. I also like sliced red spur chilis in the curry, but couldn't find those either.

Nice. I'm surprised you can get some of those up there where you are. They make curry pastes, but they just do not measure up to making your own. I just ate and I'm drooling. Thanks a lot. :beatnik:

Enjoy,
Rich P

I used to do canned paste until we took a cooking class in Thailand back in '12. No going back to canned after that.

Smoked Trout Pate

Got a powerful hankerin' for smoked trout yestidy. Came up with this treat: smoked trout (from Trader Joe's), some diced Abe Lincoln heirloom tomato, fresh chopped basil from the back yard, mayonnaise, Durkee's Special Sauce (great dress-up wherever mayonnaise is seen), Maille Old Style Mustard, sliced black olives, Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat), coarse-ground black pepper, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes). The trout was served with Trader Joe's Golden Rounds.

ED6B905C-DAD1-4B6D-B2B9-39A3B164510F.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

I don't think there's much better for fried eggs than in clarified butter on cast iron. Been ages since I've cooked on anything but stainless. This is going to take some getting used to, especially on a freshly restored griddle.

IMG_0263.jpg

I don't think there's much better for fried eggs than in clarified butter on cast iron. Been ages since I've cooked on anything but stainless. This is going to take some getting used to, especially on a freshly restored griddle.

View attachment 1076702

Cast iron has a certain "something" that just makes certain foods taste better. Carbon steel pans are similar.

Home made liver paté with bacon, mushrooms, and left over red cabbage

AF1QipNm5Ibal-X_8KsmzevHGntJARKcCA3l4JaTDirA

tIWat2DmlTQvVLvb2

C2UmBU23fbXLTICG3

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
View attachment 1076010
Christmas seafood gumbo, changed it up a bit this year. It had roasted chicken, two different kinds of sausage, snow crab, shrimp and lobster tail.
That looks really good. I have soft spot for seafood gumbo or chowder. Considering how good it looks and probably a lot of effort you put into it, you couldn't use a proper bowl? :yikes::)

That looks really good. I have soft spot for seafood gumbo or chowder. Considering how good it looks and probably a lot of effort you put into it, you couldn't use a proper bowl? :yikes::)

Well considering there were 30 + people here eating we thought the paper bowls were quite fitting, and after eating I wasn't going to feel like washing any more dishes ! :)

Christmas Eve dinner:

IMG_8507_zpsnfekbyls.jpg

Left to right, from top row:

Taramosalata dip (carp roe caviar, mixed with olive oil, lemon juice, and a starchy base of bread).
Tzatziki dip (greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dash of vinegar).
Shrimp salad.
Chicken baked with filo dough.
Meat tortiere (pie).
Roast pork.
Pasticcio (pasta with meat sauce in layers, topped with bechamel, baked in oven).
Tiropita (layered feta cheese and filo pastry, oven baked).
Oven roasted potatoes, basted with olive/lemon oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
Stuffed cabbage rolls in tomato and onion sauce.
Spanakopita (layered spinach, feta cheese and dill with filo dough, oven baked).
Feta cheese mini slab, with olive oil and sprinkled oregano.
Greek salad (tomatoes, cucumber, olives, orange peppers, in olive oil, sprinkled with oregano, salt).
Lettuce and spinach salad, crushed feta cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano.

Thankfully, Christmas comes once a year.

:)

Well considering there were 30 + people here eating we thought the paper bowls were quite fitting, and after eating I wasn't going to feel like washing any more dishes ! :)
30 people?! Wow, I wouldn't know how to handle that many people at once. I'd pass out serving half that many. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom