Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Homemade bread is as good as it gets. Still working on a couple loaves of potato bread given to me over the holidays. Slice it and freeze it, and it lasts forever, then just pull out a couple slices and toast for a snack.

Which I'm gonna do right now. Working on a project and lost track of the time. Pulled pork slamwich and a pickle, coming right up!

Ah ... another cheese head.

I finally talked my local grocery into carrying Leyden again. Nagged the girls at the deli counter mercilessly until they relented. They all even know the correct pronunciation now ... <G>

laytoncheese.jpg

Give me some of that with grapes and jerkie or summer sausage, along with some tortilla chips and wine, and I'm in snack heaven.

* Just checked the stock, and I've got a couple wedges of the leyden, as well as black pepper romano, fontinella, and manchego ... that oughta get me thru the night. <G>

Just fried 15 baby flounders. Put 4 up for work tomorrow, when I thought about this thread. I have potato wedges and slaw to go with it. Girlfriend on the way over. We will try to put a hurting on what's left.IMG_0409.JPG

This one is one of our household favorites, and great for intimate dinners with close friends. When entertaining, the cooking is done in an electric skillet, at the table, where all the ingredients are presented in small bowls, and everyone participates in putting items in the skillet, as they run low, and taking them out, when cooked to their liking.

At home, in personal-sized caste-iron skillets, we do a quick saute of the beef, in fresh beef suet, then add in the Sukiyaki sauce and other ingredients in a pleasant visual arrangement and simmer for a brief period and serve.

Japanese Sukiyaki

The sauce consists of mushroom-infused soy sauce (I love this stuff), mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine), a good quality sake, and kombu/shiitake dashi (a sort of tea, made with dried shiitake mushrooms, kombu (special dried sea weed), and katsuobushi (dried bonito tuna shavings)). For our tastes, the mirin makes it sweet enough, but some like a bit more sweetness, so I sometimes add yellow Vietnamese rock sugar.

The sauce is used as a continuous simmering base for the other ingredients.

The other ingredients can vary greatly, depending on season, and mood, but this is what we have settled on for consistency: very thin sliced rib steak, carrot (artistically carved to resemble flowers and such), medium-firm tofu (that has been dry-grilled to a light caramelized state on all sides), Japanese shirataki (clear noodles, made from yams or mung beans), fresh Japanese udon noodles, thin sliced raw red onions or shallots, scallion segments, dehydrated shiitake mushrooms that have been re-hydrated (when making the dashi for the sauce), fresh enoki mushrooms, fresh Taiwan Napa cabbage, and fresh chrysanthemum leaves.

This is all served with a bowl of Japanese short-grain rice, and a small bowl of raw egg that has been scrambled. As the item you wish to eat is drawn from the pot, it is dipped in the egg and eaten straight away. Obviously, dexterity with chopsticks is a plus.

Dinner.jpg

We also use the personal-sized caste-iron skillets to make personal pan pizzas: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....oking-only-please.696992/page-10#post-9475752

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Very colorful ... I use basically the same ingredients but tend to more or less mash everything together. <G>

I suppose tonight's entree could be loosely described as Japanese Okonomiyaki, or as I call them, clam pancakes.

okonomiyaki.jpg

Basically an egg pancake stuffed with chopped clams, chopped bok choy and scallions, with chicken stock instead of water for the batter. Only a couple minutes in the pan on each side for browning so the veggies stay crisp, then top with more raw veggies, pickled ginger (gari) and a mayo sauce with wooster and soy.

Bonus points if you add Bonito flakes, but those just creep me out, so I'll pass. <G>

Looks like that chicken would run rings around anything Zombie Colonel can serve up ...

Made one of my favorite quickie meals here tonite. Ring bologna and onions. Sauce is just ketchup and Baby Ray's bbq sauce.

balogna-onions.jpg

Speaking of vegans, I've a hankering for a nice tofu spinach casserole ... stay tuned!

Green or red? <G>

The spencer steak got me thinking, so I walked down to the corner butcher and picked up a nice T bone and fresh mushrooms. Have to dig the kettle bbq out of the snow and fire it up tonite.

PS ... it's nice to have a corner butcher that's open on Sundays. About a mile away, so I walk it when the roads are clear and EARN my steak! It's warm enough right now we've got dense fog from the melting snow as well, which made the walk ... interesting ... especially when the occasional invisible car came rolling by ... <G>

Wednesday night I made pan-seared Ahi, on cucumber slices topped with honey-sweetened Sriracha and pickled ginger. I may do this again tonight.
R-FRZloyS_NLZTLTu0DblivFIabygxNJsiUqn2EIb1D_bUYGrL6mz5B1mT3NQwkC4bhFnjlEdKJueaMU-OiFXAHrGKh5WAAKvzacyOyAhHR4cvkQXY9BW2-c1TkEKaMG0f8dYfBRHB-VeGO3o193vEAus2AgU0Dj-btbtE-V7NXdj8MwwCHanzOiyw6r4mqB0zUzlXJdHi0J-eg3skDRJ728pDFOtMj4sWX5cRWIqWEh5KBbAV9cVH2WCIIZ4ZCErod7sNbsFbtsPNXf8dM28R_eAJygQpRuHDIrTRh2NY70cGQxQVWhwNilnJYEyIIEbIDnpNtOKXlCZJuQxkGE46l9JRQdaKt_74hRlXu7uuy0GP9_Y4my3LX5pdLDOd-iHEcgIJE7imB23R8inW2r4YeSTB4kFRB9tylyNvimurho38Y3CzLBws2Oj1LkVvueE2_ZoL_Tv2BbB1U49NuGh00Aj_MQfdCM5kg17JunrHPYFCKFwkmD9fB-n_q6IoEt1byF6pxf4wN-ksIwk0iN6rItZKUb7RIgiqXalNzDkGilanQzfIF-jjBhpzWDB4s=w1224-h688-no

Cheops, anyone?

Not the Pyramid in Egypt ... Cheetos Chops. Dip a pork chop in whipped egg, dip that in dry pancake mix, dip that in the egg again, then roll the whole thing in crushed cheetos. Served with fried couscous (that's sort of Egyptian) and buttermilk biscuits.

cheops.jpg

Oh. And a cheezeburger in a can to wash it down. <G>
OMG got the wife working on this one looks yummy!

OK ... here's something you don't see everyday ... eggplant casserole ...

eggplant-casserole.jpg

This one's made with a mix of sage sausage and chorizo. The eggplant is cubed, then rolled in flour and browned in oil till it's about half done. Add a quart of my homegrown marriage heirloom tomatoes, cook down the juices, spice to taste, and throw it in the oven for about a half hour, topped with stewed roma tomatoes and bell peppers. It's ready when the eggplant is chewy, not gooey. Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan before serving. Toasted garlic bread as a side is a nice touch.

Chicken Enchiladas Rancheros - I made the ranchera sauce a few nights ago but have been working too late all week to make these. Finally it's Friday night.
70Y5fssWGmcwguPEvpJXxFcjf8Ow9YNb8uTG_QJjrdoKXdy_Uxl8Fq99h4WGNr80aPX9E1Gdh17SiSnYD-_YkYqkSP1hwzD4tcBJ4KnkD7-OmDbeiTTbUQmLktMD_9NeL1mPfmxaSF51ibkAZTeFDc_A6ciTbjsC-uSuHQnU8GwdAHBetXGmiqy18iqw-4giA9CkXlByLZWHEjX1XpPn6pmwoCHYGUN7wHVKk-bK0cRj1W1Jb-NTEtlFdGwtftXZ9fLn_yUb-4_hhb8Tyv3usfnIYT0CzQ3pdgwytryQnZJGX_ze5iUpIxdaTj8jfH_PXiThr4MoeOHx_vQdWmjv02jMGSnc68MOTU7NUx5MFgAOHtw2_6YKrCyD-HnVDKwcoJoIPgvybxePjRGesoy3p_XmcantCQt-SHUcL-nHhCxVFyXodlqHJzOVnMJkp9knZ90yOOxswIvTTUrwmGdFgYEcBFPvklhczpwanzdA8e2nFPty2JhZXDsd5IDfopdrsiI5CD9r1PVYPqD5TN4bClAxWBDZWSEd3DTZbDE0UjhA2xM_aI5vu4mnedI_cUw=w918-h688-no

Chicken Enchiladas Rancheros - I made the ranchera sauce a few nights ago but have been working too late all week to make these. Finally it's Friday night.
70Y5fssWGmcwguPEvpJXxFcjf8Ow9YNb8uTG_QJjrdoKXdy_Uxl8Fq99h4WGNr80aPX9E1Gdh17SiSnYD-_YkYqkSP1hwzD4tcBJ4KnkD7-OmDbeiTTbUQmLktMD_9NeL1mPfmxaSF51ibkAZTeFDc_A6ciTbjsC-uSuHQnU8GwdAHBetXGmiqy18iqw-4giA9CkXlByLZWHEjX1XpPn6pmwoCHYGUN7wHVKk-bK0cRj1W1Jb-NTEtlFdGwtftXZ9fLn_yUb-4_hhb8Tyv3usfnIYT0CzQ3pdgwytryQnZJGX_ze5iUpIxdaTj8jfH_PXiThr4MoeOHx_vQdWmjv02jMGSnc68MOTU7NUx5MFgAOHtw2_6YKrCyD-HnVDKwcoJoIPgvybxePjRGesoy3p_XmcantCQt-SHUcL-nHhCxVFyXodlqHJzOVnMJkp9knZ90yOOxswIvTTUrwmGdFgYEcBFPvklhczpwanzdA8e2nFPty2JhZXDsd5IDfopdrsiI5CD9r1PVYPqD5TN4bClAxWBDZWSEd3DTZbDE0UjhA2xM_aI5vu4mnedI_cUw=w918-h688-no
Pics don't show. Apparently, one needs to be logged into something Google. Google is too snoopy. I don't do Google. I like enchiladas though.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I can't figure this out. Most people see my pics, but some don't. I take iPhone pics. An app uploads them to Google photo. I copy the link using either Safari or Chrome on either my MacBook or PC and paste it here.

Back
Top Bottom