Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Steak Diane with buttermilk mashed potatoes, and green beans.

The flank steak was cooked sous vide at 131 degrees F for 8 hours. I dry the steaks, let them rest for 20 minutes, and then sear them in a nuclear hot skillet. The flank steak comes out tender like rib eye. The sauce was made with Crimini mushrooms, shallots, garlic, Dijon mustard, beef broth, brandy, and half & half.

steak diane 3 ed 2.jpg

-Dave

Steak Diane with buttermilk mashed potatoes, and green beans.

The flank steak was cooked sous vide at 131 degrees F for 8 hours. I dry the steaks, let them rest for 20 minutes, and then sear them in a nuclear hot skillet. The flank steak comes out tender like rib eye. The sauce was made with Crimini mushrooms, shallots, garlic, Dijon mustard, beef broth, brandy, and half & half.

View attachment 1138416

-Dave

You got the smellovision thing going on?
I could just about taste that, I mean literally...

Well the fact hat you have my favorites, taters, mushrooms, green beans and beef might have played a small part...
...still I have to keep myself from sticking a fork in the computer screen...

aPnw7lu.jpg

F86PScM.jpg

Sous Vide short ribs, ~24 hours at 145. Cooked with some onion and a bunch of garlic after being dry rubbed with salt, pepper, brown sugar, cayanne, chili powder, and paprika. I'd probably leave the onion or next time and cut the brown sugar in half.

Ribs finished under the broiler on high. The flavor and texture is unbelievably good done this way. I've done the 72 hour version as well and to be honest I'm not convinced it's worth the extra wait time.

Creamy mashed potatoes made with butter, milk, and a bit of cream cheese. Gravy made from sous vide drippings

Not shown:the vegetables I ate to make up for this. :D

aPnw7lu.jpg

F86PScM.jpg

Sous Vide short ribs, ~24 hours at 145. Cooked with some onion and a bunch of garlic after being dry rubbed with salt, pepper, brown sugar, cayanne, chili powder, and paprika.

Ribs finished under the broiler on high.

Creamy mashed potatoes made with butter, milk, and a bit of cream cheese. Gravy made from sous vide drippings

Not shown:the vegetables I ate to make up for this. :D

Nice! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

-Dave

IMG_0882.JPG
This is my lunch today. Will probably be supper too. There is a secret to making a great milkshake. Back when I was 15-17 in the 70's. I used to make milkshakes for the public. Instead of using ice cream we used a milkshake base. Made a creamier shake than ice cream. So nowadays I use the cheapest ice cream I can find. Stuff with a lot of guar gum and extras. It freezes real hard. If you use a high end ice cream it usually turns back to cream or milk. Most of that is infused with air. Maybe a banana one for supper.

View attachment 1138803
This is my lunch today. Will probably be supper too. There is a secret to making a great milkshake. Back when I was 15-17 in the 70's. I used to make milkshakes for the public. Instead of using ice cream we used a milkshake base. Made a creamier shake than ice cream. So nowadays I use the cheapest ice cream I can find. Stuff with a lot of guar gum and extras. It freezes real hard. If you use a high end ice cream it usually turns back to cream or milk. Most of that is infused with air. Maybe a banana one for supper.

I love a good shake, or Frappe as we call them in these parts.

-Dave

Japanese Dinner Party

We had some very close friends over for dinner and karaoke. We don't see each other often, but it is always good.

First, a nice appetizer plate: a couple of shiso leaves, bearing up some kamaboko (fish cake) slices, pickled ginger, edamame (steamed young soy beans), and wasabi (Japanese horseradish).

Next, some nice Sukiyaki: thin-sliced rib-eye, sliced sweet onion, scallion segments, udon noodles, shiritaki (yam noodles), pan-fried firm tofu, re-hydrated shiitake mushrooms, orange and purple carrot slices, Taiwan Napa cabbage segments, and chrysanthemum leaves, in a sauce consisting of mushroom-infused soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, and kombu/shiitake/katsuobushi dashi (broth from kelp, de-hydrated shiitake mushrooms, and bonito flakes).

Finally, to wash this all down, a nice bottle of Choya Umeshu (Japanese Plum Wine).

Guests.jpeg

Apetizer.jpeg

Appetizer1.jpeg

Sukiyaki.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
The katsu pork. Is that similar to chicken fried. That's what we call any tenderized meat here in the south that has been rolled in flour and fried in oil. Fix'n to make me another milk shake shortly..

The katsu pork. Is that similar to chicken fried. That's what we call any tenderized meat here in the south that has been rolled in flour and fried in oil. Fix'n to make me another milk shake shortly..

Katsu is any meat that is pounded into a thin cutlet, coated with flour, dipped in an egg wash and then coated with panko bread crumbs. It's then pan fried. We've made it with pork, chicken and veal. It's amazingly tasty for such a simple technique. I've seen chicken fried steak on TV but don't recall if an egg wash is part of the technique.

-Dave

Katsu is any meat that is pounded into a thin cutlet, coated with flour, dipped in an egg wash and then coated with panko bread crumbs. It's then pan fried. We've made it with pork, chicken and veal. It's amazingly tasty for such a simple technique. I've seen chicken fried steak on TV but don't recall if an egg wash is part of the technique.

-Dave
Chicken fried, you can do egg wash. It's mainly up to the individuals way for frying.

Japan Night

We enjoyed the Japanese food the other night so much, we decided to go at it again, but from a different angle.

First, some firm tofu, pan-fried in rendered chicken fat (schmultz :) ), and dusted with a combination of aonori (prepared sea weed), gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and sansyo (special Japanese pepper).

Next, some blanched and steamed and salted edamame (young soy bean pods), wasabi (Japanese horseradish) and pickled ginger.

Next, some avocado rolls: sushi rice (with a bit of sushi seasoning: rice vinegar, salt and brown sugar), rolled in nori (seaweed sheets for sushi), all wrapped around julienned avocado, carrot, and scallions.

Next, mozuku soup: kombu/shiitake/katsuobushi dashi (broth from kelp, de-hydrated shiitake mushrooms, and bonito flakes), and mozuku (a special sea weed), and a bit of mushroom-infused soy sauce.

Next, teriyaki mushrooms: sliced mushrooms (baby bellas & re-hydrated shiitakes from the dashi), sauteed in rendered chicken fat, then glazed with teriyaki sauce and sprinkled with toasted and crushed sesame seeds.

Next, karaage chicken: chicken wings, marinaded in soy sauce, sake, grated ginger, and minced garlic. The wings were then dredged in katakuriko (potato starch) and deep fried. The chicken was served with a dipping sauce, consisting of mayonnaise, Thai fish sauce, and sriracha.

Next, for dessert, some pseudo nigiri sushi: sushi rice, sweetened with a bit of mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine), and topped with sliced strawberries from the garden out back, that had been dusted with sugar.

Finally, to wash this all down, a nice bottle of Choya Umeshu (Japanese Plum Wine).

Dinner.jpeg

Soup.jpeg

Appetizers.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom