Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Quite correct.
However, it may be worth noting that the entire Central Valley area and in particular Kern County, just to the East of Santa Maria, was a major destination for Texan and Okie Dust Bowl refugees in the 1930's. Bakersfield, 2 hours east of Santa Maria, was for a long time essentially "Oklahoma-West".
I saw an article sometime ago about the decline of the Texas/Oklahoma accent in the area....which used to be ubiquitous.

If nothing else, the customer base was already in place.
Fair point. I have spent a lot of time in Kern Co. Of particular note are the wonderful Basque restaurants in Bakersfield and Taft. The Wool Grower was my favorite. Haven’t been up there since my dear in laws passed. Hopefully the Basque places are doing well.

I was never much of a mayo fan growing up. Then one day I had some fresh made Mayonnaise at a restaurant in southern France. OMG! Nothing like the real thing. The stuff in the jar doesn’t come close.

Agreed. Nothing like freshly made mayo. It's probably my favorite condiment next to mustard. I should really call it a dressing. For ones who aren't fans of the mayo, try some real aioli (i-olee) instead. Its basically mayonnaise with a garlic kick. One of my favorite things in the world is skin on fries fried in duck fat served with a garlic aioli. Good Lord Almighty. For an everyday mayo, my choice is Blue Plate.

Garlic-Aioli-with-Fries.jpg

Agreed. Nothing like freshly made mayo. It's probably my favorite condiment next to mustard. I should really call it a dressing. For ones who aren't fans of the mayo, try some real aioli (i-olee) instead. Its basically mayonnaise with a garlic kick. One of my favorite things in the world is skin on fries fried in duck fat served with a garlic aioli. Good Lord Almighty. For an everyday mayo, my choice is Blue Plate.

View attachment 1186488

As I've posted before I'm not a mayonnaise consumer, however I'm willing to concede that I've never tasted any quality mayo. BTW, those fries look delicious! I'd dip them in a combination of Heinz Organic Ketchup and Chipotle del Sol hot sauce. ;)

-Dave

As I've posted before I'm not a mayonnaise consumer, however I'm willing to concede that I've never tasted any quality mayo. BTW, those fries look delicious! I'd dip them in a combination of Heinz Organic Ketchup and Chipotle del Sol hot sauce. ;)

-Dave
I'm with you on all that. One of my favorites snacks or sides is roasted potatoes and tzatziki sauce.

I was hungry for skettie today...so I cooked down a mix of red and Roma tomatos adding finely diced onions....garlic powder...basil, marjoram, thyme, rosemary,
savory and oregano. Then boiled water with a pinch of salt and a dash of butter and added vermicelli....and finally bowled it and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0218.JPG
    100_0218.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 96
Love what yall have done with my thread since I went missing! Died in a motorcycle wreck last June, but I'm all better now. Not sure which was more difficult - surviving the crash, or surviving several months of hospital food. ;-}

Anyway ... on with the show! Marinated and pan fried lamb chops last night, and brussel sprouts topped with cheese and salsa. The onions from the marinade were browned along with some red skin taters ... gotta love those one pan meals, eh.

lamb-chops.jpg

Asian Fusion

Sometimes I just get the taste for certain foods, and get the urge to try something risky. This is one of those times, and I do believe I got away with it.

First, Cantonese Pan-Fried Soy Noodles: bean sprouts, sliced (whites) and jullienne'd (greens) scallions, Japanese soy sauce, Chinese black soy sauce, sesame oil, sea salt, sugar, Japanese sake, fresh-ground Chinese hot white pepper, and Hong Kong style egg noodles.

Next, Wasabi Roasted Cauliflower: cauliflower (broken into small florets), sesame oil, wasabi paste, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.

Finally, the risk, braised Asian-Style Beef: Texas tri-tip, braised for 6 hours in beef broth, balsamic vinegar, local honey, Chinese black soy sauce, Vietnamese fish sauce (Red boat), sriracha sauce, smashed garlic, and smashed ginger. This turned out like an Asian form of the German sauerbraten, and it was just so tender and good.

A8BEC191-5281-4AAA-9976-7468A17F7B3E.jpeg

F72D982B-CB81-4351-9284-834EC296DA57.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Just checking in. No pictures but we are eating our way around Washington DC this week. My son has been giving us the royal treatment.

We started off at an Italian shop for lunch and then a Lebanese restaurant on Monday night. Tuesday was Kosher food for lunch and German food for dinner. We had Thai food on Weds. Today was lunch at a Serbian restaurant. We did a sampler meal and ate every thing from pig neck with potatoes to wild boar. The variety of food was amazing.

We still have three days of eating to go. Did I mention that we're having a great time?

Mexican Night

First, a simple salad: shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, dusted with fresh-ground black pepper.

Next, refried Cuban black beans, topped with crumbled Israeli feta cheese, and served with white corn tortilla chips.

Finally, cheese enchiladas (lightly fried white corn tortillas, filled with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and sliced scallion whites), covered with enchilada sauce (Old El Paso Mild), and topped with over-easy eggs (from the girls out back) and sliced scallion greens.

C3A63D77-ACDC-485B-9ABD-D04EAAD95F6B.jpeg

4D2A69DB-F7EC-4E92-8893-22CAAB4A29AA.jpeg

Enjoy,

Rich P

Today`s Brunch....Shakshuka....eggs, poached in tomatos cooked with onions, green bell peppers, lots of garlic, and a good splash of Sriracha just to make it legit....
(I didn`t have any cilantro on hand, but it should have had a bit of that as well)
Reportedly originated in Tunisia a long time ago, now a favorite throughout the Middle East.

upload_2018-5-18_20-3-16.png

upload_2018-5-18_20-4-19.png

Today`s Brunch....Shakshuka....eggs, poached in tomatos cooked with onions, green bell peppers, lots of garlic, and a good splash of Sriracha just to make it legit....
(I didn`t have any cilantro on hand, but it should have had a bit of that as well)
Reportedly originated in Tunisia a long time ago, now a favorite throughout the Middle East.

View attachment 1190807

View attachment 1190808
I didn’t know this had a name. I often poach eggs in Victoria’s Marinara sauce. With some nice crusty bread and shaved parm it’s a great easy meal.

I'm gonna cook me a filet in the next couple of days. Then I'm gonna bust the BBQ chicken thread wide open Memorial day. Just have to decide between Jerk or sauce.

Back
Top Bottom