Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Last night, we had wild mushrooms and three types of beef roasted right on the table. I have to say that this was probably one of the top 3 best meals I've ever had. It was so unexpectedly good - amazing texture and flavor. Grass fed Wagyu sirloin, tenderloin, and best of all, the skirt steak cut across the grain 1/4" thick. Not sure if all these parts came from a same cow, but they were all grass fed Wagyu's. I think my taste buds are spoiled for good.

meat&pine.jpg

Last night, we had wild mushrooms and three types of beef roasted right on the table. I have to say that this was probably one of the top 3 best meals I've ever had. It was so unexpectedly good - amazing texture and flavor. Grass fed Wagyu sirloin, tenderloin, and best of all, the skirt steak cut across the grain 1/4" thick. Not sure if all these parts came from a same cow, but they were all grass fed Wagyu's. I think my taste buds are spoiled for good.

Was in a pricey Japanese restaurant in SFO during Dreamforce a couple years back. They brought out very thin sliced raw beef, and super hot boulders. We cooked the meat on them, and dipped in several sauces. Fun time, and delicious!

Indian Spiced Quail, Etc

I was perusing our local Asian market, thinking about making some duck. My beloved bride and sous chef prefers not to eat duck, and I saw a collection of frozen quails. I thought, "Why not?" I've never had quail, and I like to experiment. When it was all said and done, and truth be told, there is "not much there there" with quail, but is was pretty good. My wife thought is was like eating humming birds. :)

First, steamed globe artichokes with lime butter. They are in season, apparently.

Next, a frozen entree from the Indian section of the freezer area (I intended to concentrate on the quail, and try stuff I have never had), so...Vegetable Jaipuri: onions, cabbage, tomatoes, caiuliflower, cream peppers, paneer (fresh cheese) carrots, and spices.

Next, a second frozen entree that I have never tried...Methi Malai Mutter: onions, methi (fenugreek) leaves, cashews, yogurt, peas, ricotta cheese, paneer, cream, butter and various spices.

Finally, the Indian spiced quail: quail, marinaded in lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, garam masala (a ubiquitous spice mix), black pepper, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and sea salt. The quail was then quick-roasted.

This was all washed down with an ice cold Erdinger Dunkel Weisbier.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Chili Dogs

This was just right for a Sunday afternoon. Another good thing is that I have my dog chili stowed in two-dog serving ziplocks in the freezer...quick and satisfying.

The chili is simple: ranch-style pinto beans with a bit of the juice, ground beef, ketchup, minced garlic, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno pepper, New Mexico sweet red chili powder, fresh ground cumin, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper.

First, some nice tater tots.

Finally, the chili dogs: toasted potato buns, Boar's Head uncured beef dogs, chopped onion, yellow mustard, and the chili (from above).

This was washed down with a nice, ice-cold Stella.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Diggin' the recipe for the chili sauce. I usually just get a can of Hormel bean-less but I'm gonna give this one a try when I'm not being too lazy.

Hey! ...wait a minute. :idea:This is the home cooking only thread.
Did you make those tater tots from scratch??!!:eek:

...this is the part where you lie through your teeth and say, of course I did and brewed the beer too:thumbsup:
:D

Diggin' the recipe for the chili sauce. I usually just get a can of Hormel bean-less but I'm gonna give this one a try when I'm not being too lazy.

Hey! ...wait a minute. :idea:This is the home cooking only thread.
Did you make those tater tots from scratch??!!:eek:

...this is the part where you lie through your teeth and say, of course I did and brewed the beer too:thumbsup:
:D
I "cooked" them.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Oh yeah, the kitchen sink (aka nail or stone) soup. A bit of this, a bit of that and you have a meal fit for a king.
My wife tells me her dad was a culinary genius when it came to making concoctions from leftover odds and ends.

My wife thought is was like eating humming birds. :)

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to grill 50-60 quail at a time....probably something like 4-5 per person.
To make it easier to cook them he'd chop them clean in half.
As kids we referred to the halves as either "frogs" or "bats".
The one half being, all legs, the other, all wings.

Braised Beef Short Ribs

I have had a taste for some nice short ribs for quite a time. Today, I satisfied that hankering quite handily.

First, a tasty salad: Trader Joe's Spring Greens Mix (with ranch dressing for dipping: baby romaine, baby chard, baby mizuna, radicchio, baby red leaf, baby green leaf, baby oak leaf, baby arugula, baby spinach, baby butter lettuce, etc. To this was added fresh tomatoes from the garden out back, purple carrots, and mini-orange sweet peppers.

Next, macaroni and cheese. Desiring to focus on the short ribs, I chose to use Michelina's macaroni and cheese from the freezer section of the grocer. I was not bad at all.

Next, grilled zuchini: medalions of zucchini, olive oil, garlic powder, Italian herbs, sea salt, and a local high end balsamic vinegar.

Finally, the braised beef short ribs: short ribs, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, peanut oil, diced white onion, minced garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh rosemary.

This was washed down with a nice vodka and grapefruit juice.

Dinner.jpeg

Salad.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1019.JPG
Still playing with my sous vide. Finally did some Jerk wings. Tossed the wings in my Jerk sauce, vacuum packed then froze for a couple weeks. Put them in the fridge a few days ago to thaw.. This morning I put them in the Sous Vide, at 155° for 3 hours. After that, they went on the grill at a medium low, direct heat, for about 15 minutes each side, to crisp up and blacken. These wings sure turned out tender. Served them with tater skins coated with my hot sauce. Too early in the day for beer, so I chased them with grape Kool aid.

The grill pic is after the first turn.

Last edited:
Sweet and Spicy Tri-Tip

I found some very nice looking tri-tip steaks, and wanted to do something new with it.

First, some nice, home-made Butter Fan Rolls.

Next, a Zucchini-Carrot side dish: Diced zucchini, grated carrot, and diced onion, sauteed, then topped with grated Parmesan cheese and baked until lightly browned.

Next, onion strips, sauteed in butter, with sea salt, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and toasted and crushed sesame seeds.

Next, baked Russet potatoes, with butter, sour cream, and fresh garlic chives (from the garden out back).

Finally, the Sweet and Spicy Tri-Tip: tri-tip steaks, marinaded in a special paste (peanut oil, ground black pepper, ground cumin, paprika, ground coriander seeds, ground Thai Dragon peppers (from the garden out back), brown sugar, and minced garlic). The marinated tri-tip is then broiled to a medium rare-ish caramelized state.

This was all washed down with an ice-cold Shiner Bock.

Dinner.jpeg

Bread.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom