Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Not dinner; college football gameday appetizers.

My own concoction of hot wings(sweet with a low burn) recipe with cut veggies and cool ranch dressing. Delish!
wings-11-3-18.jpg

Duck fat is actually healthy, but I go for the flavor. ;) The butter is added just at the end. When those milk solids start to brown they release a nice nutty flavor. -Dave
So true, butter does add some wonderful flavor to many foods when done right.
To me mushrooms for instance have to be cooked in butter to bring out their best.
However I'll have to say that on the other hand, burnt butter is among the most disgusting things I've ever tasted.

Last edited:
So true, butter does add some wonderful flavor to many foods when done right.
To me mushrooms for instance have to be cooked in butter to bring out their best.
However I'll have to say on the other hand burnt butter is among the most disgusting things I've ever tasted.
A 'trick' I picked up is that some oil (canola, olive, etc) will help prevent butter from burning. Seems to work.

A 'trick' I picked up is that some oil (canola, olive, etc) will help prevent butter from burning. Seems to work.
Yes it does. I usually add a splash of Olive Oil when making an Italian style dish for instance.
Butter and Coconut Oil works very well with pancakes. :thumbsup:

Caldo De Pollo with hot buttered tortillas. I did the one chicken quick version and used Better Than Boullion for the base for the first time :thumbsup:
If I’m going all out I use 2 chickens sacrificing the first for the broth and tossing it. A younger version of myself would have made fresh tortillas and garnished with fresh peppers.

Edit: oops no pic, fixed
E195AD4B-8BC8-4999-AC93-B8BFF4BBB3F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hungarian Gulyás

@Superampman posted a recipe for this elsewhere on AK. One of my abilities is to be able to taste a recipe, if I am familiar with the ingredients. His recipe sent me off on a quest., since I have never had this before. I used different proportions than his recipe, but much the same ingredients. This dish is a keeper, and should take its place among our regular fare around here.

Hungarian Gulyás: duck fat, chopped yellow onions, sweet Hungarian paprika, beef tri-tip steak, minced garlic, diced bell peppers (red, orange, & yellow), diced Eclipse tomatoes, diced purple and white carrots, diced Russet potatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper. I forgot to serve with a dollop of sour cream, and it really did not need it.

This was served with some nice crusty, whole-wheat sourdough bread and Danish butter.

To wash this down, we had a variety of Eastern European beers. I was unable to locate any Hungarian brew. Pictured are a couple of nice ones: Czechvar ( a dark Czech lager), and Golden Pheasant (a Slovak lager).

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Otsumami

Otsumami are an order of appetizers, to enjoy while drinking beer. This meal was intended to be along those lines.

First, a bit of short-grained Japanese rice.

Next, Vegetable Gyoza: dumplings, filled with various vegetables (from the freezer area of our local Asian market, they are as good as I could make myself), served with Ponzu Sauce (Miyako brand).

Next, blanched and salted edammame (young soy bean pods).

Next, Ek Rolls (my friend, Ek, from Laos taught me how to make these): egg roll skins, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, glass noodles, chopped white onions, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, soy sauce, palm sugar, garlic powder, fresh eggs (from the girls out back).

Finally, Teriyaki Chicken skewers: chicken thigh meat, marinated in teriyaki sauce (Soy Vay brand), and caramelized under the broiler.

This was all washed down with some ice-cold Fat Tire.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom