Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Hungarian Gulyás

@Superampman posted a recipe for this elsewhere on AK. One of my abilities is to be able to taste a recipe, if I am familiar with the ingredients. His recipe sent me off on a quest., since I have never had this before. I used different proportions than his recipe, but much the same ingredients. This dish is a keeper, and should take its place among our regular fare around here.

Hungarian Gulyás: duck fat, chopped yellow onions, sweet Hungarian paprika, beef tri-tip steak, minced garlic, diced bell peppers (red, orange, & yellow), diced Eclipse tomatoes, diced purple and white carrots, diced Russet potatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper. I forgot to serve with a dollop of sour cream, and it really did not need it.

This was served with some nice crusty, whole-wheat sourdough bread and Danish butter.

To wash this down, we had a variety of Eastern European beers. I was unable to locate any Hungarian brew. Pictured are a couple of nice ones: Czechvar ( a dark Czech lager), and Golden Pheasant (a Slovak lager).

View attachment 1323221

View attachment 1323220

Enjoy,
Rich P
Slightly adulterated but respectfully close. Forgot to mention caraway is an oft added spice but first roasted in fat a bit to remove the menthol(careful or it will become bitter).
Also the onions should be diced small and fried on med/low first but not browned or they will also become bitter. The paprika is added to the onions during the last minute of their preparation. This is now added to the meat already simmering on med/low with just enough water to cover it.(by this time, the blood from the meat will have frothed up and been scooped off with a small strainer, this should be a clear soup colored by the paprika) Hungarian yellow bell pepper(a very distinct flavor) is also now added, diced 1/4", black pepper also added. Potatoes cut 1 1/4" and carrots sliced 1/2" are added timed for when the meat is done at which time additional water is added to accommodate them. Salt, 2 med. cloves of garlic. The meat should take about 1 1/2 hrs. Salt again if needed as the potatoes soak it up quickly.

Button mushrooms if you like

Last edited:
Otsumami and Dynamite

I have been having a taste for what is available in Japan, in otsumami bars (where you drink and enjoy appetizers). These are much like Spanish tapas, since appetizers are becoming quite the rage around the world...

First, Hiyayakko (chilled tofu): firm tofu, sliced scallions, grated ginger, katsuobushi (bonito flakes), and ponzu sauce.

Next, Daigaku Imo: Japanese sweet potato fried in peanut oil, and glazed with sugar, honey, water, and soy sauce, and sprinkled with black sesame seeds.

Savory Salmon Skin (I made this up on the fly): slivers of fried salmon skin and sliced scallion greens, dressed with Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat brand).

Next, Kuwayaki Chicken: chicken thigh chunks (skin on), dredged in flour and fried, and scallion segments, glazed with soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar.

Next, savory miso soup: special dashi broth (kombu (Japanese kelp), shiitake mushrooms, and katsuobushi (bonito flakes)), shiro miso paste, tofu cubes, and sliced scallions.

Finally, Dynamite: kosher crab (surimi (flavored whitefish)), Atlantic salmon, crimini mushrooms, ahi tuna, enoki mushrooms, and Peruvian sea bass, baked in a special sauce masago (Capelin roe), mayonnaise, sriracha, Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat brand). Served with Japanese sushi rice , dusted with black sesame seeds.

This was washed down with some nice, cold sake (Junmai Ginjo).

Hiyayako.jpeg

Daigaku.jpeg

SAlmonSkin.jpeg

Kuwayaki.jpeg

Soup.jpeg

Before.jpeg

Dinner.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Sukiyaki

This is one of our favorites around here, and we have it down to a science. I stole the serving style from a local restaurant (single serving). We still enjoy the hot pot method when we have guests.

The broth is made of dashi ( a broth made from kombu (kelp), dried shiitake mushrooms, and katsuobushi (bonito flakes)) soy sauce, mirin (sweet rice wine), sake (rice wine), and sugar. This is used as a simmering sauce when everything else has been placed in the pot(s).

First, some very thin-sliced rib steak is sauteed in beef tallow, then the following ingredients are arranged in the pots (cast-iron skillets): carrots, firm tofu (caramelized in a dry pan), scallion segments, red onion, glass noodles (made from yams), udon noodles, Taiwan Napa cabbage, and shiitake mushrooms (carved to resemble chrysanthemum flowers). Then the simmering sauce is added and all is simmered to perfection and served.

This batch was served with leftover rice from our previous dinner, which was fried with toasted and crushed sesame seeds, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), butter, and black sesame seeds.

This was washed down with some ice-cold Kirin Ichiban (Japanese beer).

Dinner.jpeg

Rice.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
"Ultimate Fish Stick" from Costco. Best I've had and great in fish tacos.

trident_serving_suggestion.jpg

Sukiyaki

This is one of our favorites around here, and we have it down to a science. I stole the serving style from a local restaurant (single serving). We still enjoy the hot pot method when we have guests.

The broth is made of dashi ( a broth made from kombu (kelp), dried shiitake mushrooms, and katsuobushi (bonito flakes)) soy sauce, mirin (sweet rice wine), sake (rice wine), and sugar. This is used as a simmering sauce when everything else has been placed in the pot(s).

First, some very thin-sliced rib steak is sauteed in beef tallow, then the following ingredients are arranged in the pots (cast-iron skillets): carrots, firm tofu (caramelized in a dry pan), scallion segments, red onion, glass noodles (made from yams), udon noodles, Taiwan Napa cabbage, and shiitake mushrooms (carved to resemble chrysanthemum flowers). Then the simmering sauce is added and all is simmered to perfection and served.

This batch was served with leftover rice from our previous dinner, which was fried with toasted and crushed sesame seeds, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), butter, and black sesame seeds.

This was washed won with some ice-cold Kirin Ichiban (Japanese beer).

View attachment 1326172

View attachment 1326173

View attachment 1326171

Enjoy,
Rich P
Looks pretty good, Rich.

I need to find a good Asian market here on Maui. Had them all over the Bay Area. Need to find some black beans for some ribs.

Yesterday, I made some Kalua Pork. Took 5 hours. I didn't take any photos.

Aloha!

Tandoori Chicken Skewers, Etc.

Sometimes you just want to do something wild. Here is one expression of such wildness. The choice is to eat the chicken from the skewers, or in a sandwich, like a gyro sandwich. It went both ways.

First, Mushroom Mutter Makhani: quartered Crimini mushrooms, peas, peanut oil, cumin seeds, chopped onions, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), fresh-ground coriander, turmeric, heavy cream, garam masala (a special spice mix), sugar, fenugreek leaves, sea salt, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped cashews, and cilantro.

Next, Potatoes with Black and Yellow Mustard Seeds: peanut oil, black mustard seeds, yellow mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, fresh-ground coriander seeds, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and chopped cilantro.

Next, fresh Iraqi samoon bread.

Next, the sauces for the chicken (sandwiches, or otherwise): Grilled Tomato Jam (grilled Eclipse tomatoes, grilled japeno, peanut oil, fresh-ground black pepper, chopped yellow onion, balsamic vinegar, and fresh saffron). Herbed Yogurt (Greek yogurt, chopped mint leaves, chopped cilantro, sea salt, fresh-ground black and pepper).

Finally, Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Skewers: grilled skinless chicken thigh meat (marinaded in tandoori spice powders (1/2 Sun brand, 1/2 Pensey's brand), lime juice, Greek yogurt, lime juice, peanut oil, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper).

For dessert, Strawberry Lassi: blended Greek yogurt, milk, sea salt, and frozen strawberries.

Dinner.jpeg

Sauces.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Lassi.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:

Sometimes you just want to do something wild. Here is one expression of such wildness. The choice is to eat the chicken from the skewers, or in a sandwich, like a gyro sandwich. It went both ways.

First, Mushroom Mutter Makhani: quartered Crimini mushrooms, peas, peanut oil, cumin seeds, chopped onions, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), fresh-ground coriander, turmeric, heavy cream, garam masala (a special spice mix), sugar, fenugreek leaves, sea salt, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped cashews, and cilantro.

Next, Potatoes with Black and Yellow Mustard Seeds: peanut oil, black mustard seeds, yellow mustard seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cubed Yukon Gold potatoes, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, fresh-ground coriander seeds, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), and chopped cilantro.

Next, the sauces for the chicken (sandwiches, or otherwise): Grilled Tomato Jam (grilled Eclipse tomatoes, grilled japeno, peanut oil, fresh-ground black pepper, chopped yellow onion, balsamic vinegar, and fresh saffron). Herbed Yogurt (Greek yogurt, chopped mint leaves, chopped cilantro, sea salt, fresh-ground black and pepper).

Finally, Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Skewers: grilled skinless chicken thigh meat (marinaded in tandoori spice powders (1/2 Sun brand, 1/2 Pensey's brand), lime juice, Greek yogurt, lime juice, peanut oil, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper).

For dessert, Strawberry Lassi: blended Greek yogurt, milk, sea salt, and frozen strawberries.

View attachment 1327395

View attachment 1327397

View attachment 1327394

View attachment 1327396

Enjoy,
Rich P

That looks so good, Rich! :beerchug:

-Dave

View attachment 1327395

View attachment 1327397

View attachment 1327394

View attachment 1327396

Enjoy,
Rich P
That all looks fantastic!

My brother, if you find yourself in Tucson in the future, pick whatever you see in this thread, made by me, and I will prepare it for you. I would consider it a great honor.

Enjoy,
Rich P
Brother Rich,
I hope to take you up on that offer one day. Likewise, if you're in my neck of the woods. Anything I've posted, which isn't a whole lot yet, would be a pleasure to make for you.

Aloha!
Carl

My brother, if you find yourself in Tucson in the future, pick whatever you see in this thread, made by me, and I will prepare it for you. I would consider it a great honor.

Enjoy,
Rich P

How long can we stay? Your stuff always looks good. Got stop at chick's too, I hear there is a good shepherd pie there.

Almost forgot. I started in, stopped and had to make presentable. Being single I just throw stuff quickly together. :)

Mahi mahi, pan fried in olive oil, garlic, sea salt, pepper, paprika and soy sauce.
Brussel sprouts, cooked in the same skillet.
Left over rice that got messy when I dumped everything on.
Green tea.

I was starving after a run at the beach. It was really good and... I didn't make enough. I guess it's ok, need to loose some weight anyways.

IMG_0824.JPG

Back
Top Bottom