Show us your DIY speaker projects!

Very nice! Your own design?

Yes they are, this was my 3rd or 4th build. I originally put in a dome tweeter that was a bit lackluster, but when Radio Shack was clearancing out their speaker kit and I put in those horns it made all the difference in the world.

Excuse for English. I present to your attention my loudspeakers. Which feature is the built-in slot-hole resonator of Helmholtz. With a possibility to adjust of frequency of a resonance of the camera outside of a box. It has allowed to use 8" fullrange drivers with high Qts for the closed box. It is perfect to get rid of buzz on Fs due to acoustic damping. A possibility of use with the tube-amplifier with small demping factor. A bass very beautiful biting and fast already from 50Hz. That for me it is enough. And not great concern for my neighbors. I prefer to rock and heavy metal. Even Black Sabbath (Actually because of this group I also have begun to build them. It is very difficult to achieve the drive of a bass guitar and drums and at the same time not to irritate neighbors with powerful resonances of a floor and a ceiling). Easy genres of music sound just perfectly. Naturally and with equal voice-frequency balance. It was necessary only to paint.

Attachments

• DSCF0238 (3).JPG
    DSCF0238 (3).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0240 (2).JPG
    DSCF0240 (2).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 90
  • АЧХ Бостон с резонатором30-20000.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0239.JPG
    DSCF0239.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20150525_173755.jpg
    20150525_173755.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20150624_160842.jpg
    20150624_160842.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150629_182343.jpg
    20150629_182343.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1426430656392.jpg
    1426430656392.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0086.JPG
    DSCF0086.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 90
My current and final edition of the Zenith open baffles with front and rear firing tweeters wired out of phase. To say I'm extremely happy with their sound would be an understatement. Folks have been buying up the Zenith alnico's like crazy since I started raving over them. Now I'm getting PM's wanting details on this build which I plan to do very soon. I'll post those details in the Members System thread ( Poulrygeist's Systems Continue to Evolve ).

P1010019 2.jpg

My current and final edition of the Zenith open baffles with front and rear firing tweeters wired out of phase. To say I'm extremely happy with their sound would be an understatement. Folks have been buying up the Zenith alnico's like crazy since I started raving over them. Now I'm getting PM's wanting details on this build which I plan to do very soon. I'll post those details in the Members System thread ( Poulrygeist's Systems Continue to Evolve ).

View attachment 1122431
That looks like some sort of industrial kitchen floor pad beneath the PG-1's. That's a great idea.

That looks like some sort of industrial kitchen floor pad beneath the PG-1's. That's a great idea.
I don't know if PG posted that same pic before but I just noticed that.
You gotta be careful with some of those pads though. Sometime the chemicals don't mix well.
My wife put some mats down in the basement that ate through the paint on the floor.:rant:*

I noticed today that the ones on the dining room chairs are stuck to the poly finish:rant::rant:

First heard about this with guitar stands, where the padding and guitar finish did not play well together
...I could just imagine a prize 50's gold-top Les Paul stuck to the guitar stand. Ouch! :rant::rant::rant:

*PS; I don't know if the backer was made of the same material.

I built the corner horns in this picture in the late 70s. Sold them to a friend but they are long gone.

These I still have. They sound pretty damn good, too.

I built this small sub a few years ago for the bedroom. For the life of me I can't recall it's name but the plans were from Parts Express and it features one woofer and two passive radiators. The name that comes to mind is "Triston" but I get no results from a search. Anyway it performs well in the bedroom paired with the Overnight Sensations.

P3030003.jpg

Poultry,

The sub you are talking about is the Parts Express 'Triska' project. I built one myself, although I used plywood instead of MDF, added internal bracing, changed the external appearance by making the top & bottom overhang the sides, and used a larger plate amp. The plate amp spec'd in the project didn't work well, as the XO didn't perform anything like its specs.

Can't upload photo, as new MacBook doesn't seem to allow photo exports in small file size. Why do they insist on 'improving' software?

Poultry,

The sub you are talking about is the Parts Express 'Triska' project. I built one myself, although I used plywood instead of MDF, added internal bracing, changed the external appearance by making the top & bottom overhang the sides, and used a larger plate amp. The plate amp spec'd in the project didn't work well, as the XO didn't perform anything like its specs.

Can't upload photo, as new MacBook doesn't seem to allow photo exports in small file size. Why do they insist on 'improving' software?

Yep it was the Triska.

I love my line arrays...

I have a DIY pair upstairs which are slightly different. This is my downstairs line setup which I did in 3 parts. I'm using an active crossover and triamping.
The 18's handle the under 40 work, the 12's go up to 150hz and the mid/tweet towers take it from there. (passive in those crossed at 4500)

Total:

8- 18" subs
8- 12" woofers
24- 6-1/2" midbass
96- 1-1/2" tweets

My goal was to duplicate the soundstage and "wow" factor of my upstairs line arrays, but also to "feel" the music.

My favorite electronic song to listen to on this setup is Infected Mushroom "Heavyweight". Goosebumps! :thmbsp:
Wow! I just ran across your old post here. I am a line array fan as well. What tweeter did you use?

A crazy composer friend was recently on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, talking about his new "invention"; planks of wood with transducers attached to them. I think they sounded pretty crappy. But they look purdy...

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.19.49 PM.png

Wow! I just ran across your old post here. I am a line array fan as well. What tweeter did you use?

Both my lines were done with Buyout tweeters from PE. The downstairs pair has 48 per side and those are onkyo mylar dome tweets, which when used in a line actually sound pretty darn good.
I was a little worried because sometimes mylar domes can sound kind of "tin like", but with the quantity involved they output quite nicely without working too hard. The beauty of the line array is the amazing huge soundstage you can get with a very low budget. If someone was blindfolded, they would think they were listening to a $$$$$ system rather than a $ one. Just takes time and elbow grease and a lot of patience for all the wiring/stripping/soldering...mucho cerveza required for fuel.

Back
Top Bottom