Show us your flea-watts amps!

Started out as a Magnavox 8600 but applied Dave G's mods to it and the amp was transformed. I really like this little guy, seems to punch a bit above its weight class. Great sound at 4 wpc running into Klipsch Chorus speaks.

TgBvhkC.jpg

Guilty too. Just built last weekend . I have to get efficient speakers
IMG_5906.JPG

Dave G built the Maggie and also re did the green beast! The green one is SET/UL

Attachments

• 310.JPG
    310.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 83
Here is an amp built off of Keggar's SE 6L6 with 6SL7 driver tube circuit. It has a CLCLC power supply filter with only film caps. I guess 6 watts is pushing the "flea" designation but this amp is certainly one of the better sounding amps to get plugged into the Altec 19s.
The other amp is based on the controversial RH84 circuit. Alex Kitic's prickly personality, aside, his circuit is certainly an excellent sounding one and Keggar'008.JPG DSC05527.JPG DSC05532.JPG DSC05531.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 009.JPG s amp is a riff off of his circuits. It is also CLCLC power supply with 2 film caps but a larger capacitance electrolytic for the final C. The cathode bias cap is a high quality electrolytic bypassed with a film cap.

Here is an amp built off of Keggar's SE 6L6 with 6SL7 driver tube circuit. It has a CLCLC power supply filter with only film caps. I guess 6 watts is pushing the "flea" designation but this amp is certainly one of the better sounding amps to get plugged into the Altec 19s.
The other amp is based on the controversial RH84 circuit. Alex Kitic's prickly personality, aside, his circuit is certainly an excellent sounding one and Keggar'View attachment 1047338 View attachment 1047330 View attachment 1047333 View attachment 1047334 View attachment 1047338 View attachment 1047339 View attachment 1047340 s amp is a riff off of his circuits. It is also CLCLC power supply with 2 film caps but a larger capacitance electrolytic for the final C. The cathode bias cap is a high quality electrolytic bypassed with a film cap.

Holy cow,
That's a busy topside.
OTOH, The bottom isn t as busy as I thought It'd be.

Dave G, S E Maggie. One day I hope to put some lipstick on it :hug:. For now, Rat Rod, for the win.

Attachments

• SAM_0480.JPG
    SAM_0480.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 61
May as well post my Bolide project here:

2017-10-11 014.JPG

The Bolide low-voltage SET breadboard develops about 1.5W output using $4 worth of tubes from the dollar bin at ESRC, and a $12 OPT, operating on a 96V B+ rail that comes from a pair of low-cost 48V switch-mode power supply modules. It sounds good, but I haven't convinced myself that it's worth committing to a complete chassis build. I'll attach the amplifier schematic below. Whaddya think? Is there any interest in low-voltage flea power designs like this?

Attachments

• Bolide 006 L Ch.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 51
Holy cow,
That's a busy topside.
OTOH, The bottom isn t as busy as I thought It'd be.
Yeah, the big round cylinder is a milspec choke , the unusual thing is that it is potted and sealed with a ceramic disc. Talk about overkill! The other cylinder is a film cap that i painted to match the other parts.
The 6L6 amp is cleaner top side and stuffed with film caps on the bottom. That amp sounds sublime on my speakers. I was playing "Pearl Jam" the other day and you know how Eddie Vedder sounds like he mumbles his words well i heard his voice much clearer and could hear all the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom