Show us your Motorcycles

Thanks....you shoulda seen my face when I found the bike in 1994...

Truly spectacular. Love the color!!! Can you tell why?? Interestingly, my bike is actually Candy Orange and looks like the color in your pic, not mine!!

20130614_171641_zps656c7e25.jpg

Is that a custom paint?...that color looks great on that bike. My favorite paints on vehicles are the candy's..

Lol, no.....the bike came with the original tires and 6000 miles. I did stupidly get rid of them and put on new tires.which were not original as the original Bridgestone tires were long out of production, and in 1994 I wasn't thinking preservation. I put about 4000 miles on the bike and around 1998 decided that this bike needed to be treated as an original survivor.
So, I have. But, the tires on the bike now ARE original ,factory Bridgestone equipment tires. The rear is a brand "new" 42 year old tire. The front is a used Bridgestone. I hardly ride it. It's only original once..

Is that a custom paint?...that color looks great on that bike. My favorite paints on vehicles are the candy's..

I'm not certain if you are referring to the Harley or the Honda! Since I was the one who mentioned "Candy" and the Harley is mine, no, Candy Orange was the factory color. Sadly, it cannot be photographed properly as I have tried, but it looks insane in person. When being photographed, the bike looks like Red Orange on cloudy days, while on sunny days, it has tons of yellow in the red. In fact, in the sun, it looks virtually identical to that beautiful Honda's photograph. I'll post the same bike looking like it has different paint:

20130803_190616_zpsf5d9784c.jpg

20121013_130931.jpg

20121013_140834.jpg

The Harley, .your bike....I own the Honda.....actually,my paint is called sunrise metal flake orange, it's not considered a candy yet is applied like a candy. It has a silver base coat with metal flakes in the basecoat, then the orange is sprayed over that.
It reacts to the sun as yours does....

Lol, no.....the bike came with the original tires and 6000 miles. I did stupidly get rid of them and put on new tires.which were not original as the original Bridgestone tires were long out of production, and in 1994 I wasn't thinking preservation. I put about 4000 miles on the bike and around 1998 decided that this bike needed to be treated as an original survivor.
So, I have. But, the tires on the bike now ARE original ,factory Bridgestone equipment tires. The rear is a brand "new" 42 year old tire. The front is a used Bridgestone. I hardly ride it. It's only original once..

Are you saying that while the tire was "new" it is 42 years old?

A 42 year old tire is very dry and will not have the suppleness of a contemporary tire. This is very unsafe. You really should change it asap. Otherwise, you are taking a chance with your and other people's lives.

The Harley, .your bike....I own the Honda.....actually,my paint is called sunrise metal flake orange, it's not considered a candy yet is applied like a candy. It has a silver base coat with metal flakes in the basecoat, then the orange is sprayed over that.
It reacts to the sun as yours does....

Well, they ought to resurrect that color immediately. That bike is awesome!

Ck.......I know all that....yes the tire is 42 years old yet was unused and therefore new when purchased. The tire showed no cracking and was surprisingly supple. How can I make that judgement, well, I mounted these tires myself. However,it is still 42 years old. The bike is not ridden as recreation , basically once a year gets ridden to gas the tank.
I'm not endangering anyone. The bike is a rare,unrestored original and treated as such...I've messed with cars,bikes,boats,planes etc. all my teenage and adult life...and I do have a brain..
And if I take the tires off, then it's not original factory. It's mainly a show bike..
Thanks for your concern.

Last edited:
Valve......yeah, actually, I've had so called expert judges think it's a custom job.....
The color actually was used by Honda for a few years only , on their 750's and 550's
You may not know this , but Harley was using candy paints before Honda ever did. As a matter of fact
Thanks for the compliment. I actually bought the blue one back in 1976.I didn't care for the orange.1976 orange was not metalflake ......but......I like it now
I bet that Harley gets lots of looks.

Last edited:
Ck.......I know all that....yes the tire is 42 years old yet was unused and therefore new when purchased. The tire showed no cracking and was surprisingly supple. How can I make that judgement, well, I mounted these tires myself. However,it is still 42 years old. The bike is not ridden as recreation , basically once a year gets ridden to gas the tank.
I'm not endangering anyone. The bike is a rare,unrestored original and treated as such...I've messed with cars,bikes,boats,planes etc. all my teenage and adult life...and I do have a brain..
And if I take the tires off, then it's not original factory. It's mainly a show bike..
Thanks for your concern.

Maybe you could let the world know what one day of the year it is that you put others at risk so we can avoid being outside and around you while you knowingly operate an unsafe vehicle.

Maybe you'd like to meet me somewhere and discuss it?
You know, this thread was great until you came along....what's your problem....having a bad day?....
Are you violating the rules of this site...I don't feel like getting banned...super member?
Does that give you special privileges?

I pointed out something that was unsafe. You seem to think it is not. So, if there is always "somebody," I guess this is my turn to be "somebody."

Oh, and this particular "somebody" worked for a period in the retail tire business, the bicycle business and has been riding motorcycles (and servicing personal motorcycles) for over 20 years. I also have a brother that wrecked rather badly on his motorcycle because he lost control of his bike. He had old tires that were on his bike with minimal miles but had hardened from lack of use. This has been considered by several knowledgeable people as the reason for his loss of control.

Certainly, motorcycles can be dangerous. But, risks can be mitigated. And to knowingly endanger the well being of others is questionable at best.

You are, of course, free to do as you like. Carry on.

OK folks, you got me to think of a great line from the movie "Stripes": "...Lighten up, Francis!!" I understand what the both of you are saying. Though traditionally tires that old could be considered dangerous and certainly might be, I have heard of quite a few instances on older cars and bikes where this was not the case. I remember I had a set of Michelin sidewalls dry rot after a few years on a car. Yet, I own a '71 KTM that has original Metzler tires that though I haven't ridden on them in a few years, look fine.

OK folks, you got me to think of a great line from the movie "Stripes": "...Lighten up, Francis!!" I understand what the both of you are saying. Though traditionally tires that old could be considered dangerous and certainly might be, I have heard of quite a few instances on older cars and bikes where this was not the case. I remember I had a set of Michelin sidewalls dry rot after a few years on a car. Yet, I own a '71 KTM that has original Metzler tires that though I haven't ridden on them in a few years, look fine.

No, I do not think you know what I am saying.

Cars and bikes use tires differently. So, the comparison, as far as safety goes, is a false one. (Think about the contact patch as well as how a motorcycle leans and the need for flexibility.

Also, just because the tire "looks fine," that does not mean that it is.

Though they might look good in a museum, 40 year old motorcycle tire is not safe on the road.

I also would not want anything rubber on my bike or car that is 40 years old. Would you rely on 40 year old wiper blades? Radiator hoses?

Oh, and my name is not Francis. :D

http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/july-august-2006/page/32/

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/68762-age-tires.html

http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk/reifenalter.html

http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/tire-knowledge/lex-1-2

Your brother had an accident, sorry. What was he riding, how was he riding, was he even using his head, thinking,or screwing around.
Don't put your labels on someone else you don't even know. I know ALL about tires, from date code to ratings. I also know it's exposure to sunlight , outside that speeds up , ozone.etc.
Gotta go eat
I'm gonna finish this....

Back
Top Bottom