Show us your Realistic (Radio Shack) stuff

My grandfather had some Realistic gear for years that I always admired. Wishing I would have paid more attention.

I picked up a STA-240. Form what I can find, a limited one-year production from 1980. 60 wpc of deep, silky goodness. "Auto Magic" tuner, dual tape monitor, channel switching, and dual analog/digital "frequency counter" with real wood case. Almost too much low end at times that can get a little boomy with the wrong speakers or settings, but I'll manage...

IMG_3668.JPG

My grandfather had some Realistic gear for years that I always admired. Wishing I would have paid more attention.

I picked up a STA-240. Form what I can find, a limited one-year production from 1980. 60 wpc of deep, silky goodness. "Auto Magic" tuner, dual tape monitor, channel switching, and dual analog/digital "frequency counter" with real wood case. Almost too much low end at times that can get a little boomy with the wrong speakers or settings, but I'll manage...

View attachment 1360250
I've had several tuners from the early 80's with both analog and digital frequency displays. I thought it kind of odd to have both. I guess they were trying to ease everyone into the digital age. :D

I picked up this Realistic STA-95 about a month ago. It spent its entire life in a basement where everyone smoked. It was a mess and would only power on, no output.

After an intense disassembly and cleaning everything came to life with no board repairs required!

It's only missing the input select knob, which I can't seem to locate anywhere.

I have some spare knobs from a STA-100 restoration I did. From a quick look at Google images it looks like it might be the same for that input selector. Do you need one still? It's not in perfect condition or anything but I think it would be better than without. Let me know. Pictured. realisticKnob.jpg

Found this STA-250 at a GW back in May 2015 and had it sitting on my bench apart trying to revive it (not the easiest unit to tear down and reassemble by the way...) Tinkered with it on and off for a while and finally got it working last year after repairing the built in circuit breaker and replacing the large caps. Also replaced some burnt out bulbs and the FM stereo light. Now this last week I finally took some time to get it all back together. Yeah I procrastinated on this project but I’m glad it’s all together and working now.

BE0C158C-3382-4932-AA0B-25D9C4D1256D.jpeg 79E20D0B-AAAC-41F4-83B2-3C5565CFA737.jpeg 46E4F345-58C6-48CB-A891-EE0043E44CBE.jpeg DBAD418C-E3AD-4D6E-9536-EFEB990C06DA.jpeg 5FAA9B86-B813-4A73-8242-93BFC4EEE3AF.jpeg E8673C60-9607-4F74-8D2C-A1E878B3DE35.jpeg BB9B0EDB-5C7A-481A-B8CF-8BF7E211126A.jpeg
A9231B7F-723B-4C78-AAB3-955B39F579E2.jpeg
686F75C0-36D8-4AD1-9CDF-3927C043C37A.jpeg

Digging around and I also have these Optimus Pro-X44AV speakers, 4 pair of Minimus 7 speakers (everyone knows what they look like)

image.jpgimage.jpg

a pair of Optimus Pro 127 bookshelf speakers

image.jpg

an SA-101 and SA-155 amplifier

image.jpg

and a pair of Optimus Pro LX5 speakers
(unfortunately the Lineaum tweeters burned out so I removed them and have been looking for a replacement)

image.jpg

I have some spare knobs from a STA-100 restoration I did. From a quick look at Google images it looks like it might be the same for that input selector. Do you need one still? It's not in perfect condition or anything but I think it would be better than without. Let me know. Pictured. View attachment 1368534

It's close, but not the same. I have a temporary knob in place while my search continues.
Thank you for your offer though!

P2013013edit.jpg

Also have lx5 .... need surrounds or replacements. Not sure if it's even worth the effort. Opposite problem adj69 has. Also acquired this receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 29
Here’s my STA-52B I thought was lost ( divorce) but it was found.
Excellent condition
With original speakers also in excellent condition!
All lights work, switches even the tuner dial red light switches between am and fm.
I’m looking for a recap list if any one has one.
Thanks

Oh, and the FM tuner pics up more stations with more clarity than my SX 838.
Extremely impressive.
I rebuilt the SX 450 that I have and the sound quality now is very noticeable. I expect the same difference would been seen with this little 52B.
Any done a rebuild or have a recap list??

Oh, and the FM tuner pics up more stations with more clarity than my SX 838.
Extremely impressive.
I rebuilt the SX 450 that I have and the sound quality now is very noticeable. I expect the same difference would been seen with this little 52B.
Any done a rebuild or have a recap list??

There's a service manual available for free download here: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/realistic/sta-52b.shtml

It should have a list of all components near the back.

By the way, your pictures aren't coming through.

Back
Top Bottom