Show Us Your Sony'S!!!

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by Yamaha B-2, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Yamaha B-2

Yamaha B-2 registered user

As all our previous photos have gone away, thought I would start this thread so everyone can show off some of their wonderful Sony vintage gear. Anything is fair game. Here are a few of mine. Have another half dozen receivers (STR-V7, STR-V3, STR-6800SD(x2), ST-j75(x3). Can't have too much of a good thing!! :thmbsp:

Recently posted pic's of the -V7 and -V3 here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52644&page=1&pp=15

I see that my photo labels are not coming up, so these are an ST-J75 tuner sitting on a TA-5650 integrated VFET amp (to replace the STR-7055A after EWs magic) and an ST-5000FW tuner (with Punker X for an alignment and recap) and the SS-M3ES speakers with the STR-7055A receiver.

bookasan - IMHO, the STR-7800SD was the pinnacle of the receiver art for Sony. Well worth whatever effort it took/takes to get it right! Good for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
    JR DePlateau and twoflux like this.
  2. bookasan

bookasan Appassionato circa audio

I will have my 7800SD up shortly. I finally did open heart surgery on it last night. It had a busted volume pot shaft and I swapped the entire volume/mute assembly from a trashed 5800SD. It was sitting in my garage with the busted shaft for 2 years. Now all I need to do is clean it up and it's ready to piss off the neighbors.

3. billyboyJBL

billyboyJBL Active Member

sony str-v5 yea!!!!

this baby came in today,I AM IMPRESSED. its on the play now with my 4311bs. :D i might keep an eye out for a v6 or v7.....

Attached Files:

4. Lefty

Lefty Super Member

Please include me into the Sony club. My 2000F preamp is on loan to a friend so picture will have to wait. I may have a TA-3120 coming soon but the seller reported that it was stuck in safety mode on final testing before shipment and is offering me my money back. I've countered about a partial refund and still send it to me and I'll repair it, we shall see...

I had a STR V-7 receiver for awhile that I paid $50 for at a thrift. Had it for about a year and sold it to a friend at work. What a great looking receiver and great performance. That was one heck of a receiver and I kind of reget selling it but it lacked the pre/main amp connection that I wanted and I already had too many large receivers. Thinking of slowly converting to seperate system(s) by maybe trading or selling off the large stuff, we shall see.

Anyway I have been a real Sony fan for along time. I always felt they could make the best stuff when they wished to, but sold so much mid and low end stuff to the masses that they kind of diluted their reputation with the more serious audio consumers.

Lefty

5. Bill Brown

Bill Brown Member

Flying the Sony flag

Glenn: My entries in the Sony parade:

STR-6800SD
    STR-V7
    TA-3650
    PS-X75 (TT)
    CDP-990 (not pictured)

Attached Files:

6. lordfoo

lordfoo Active Member

Here's my Sony VFET Ta 4650. I havent taken a pic yet of the the TA5650.

[​IMG]

A sony tape deck
    [​IMG]

I also have a Sony CDP 502esG and a CDP-337esD - no pictures also.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  7. Yamaha B-2

Wonder where absolon and axel and brian and some of our other Sony folks are with their pic's? As everyone's pic's in old threads got wiped on our last server problem, all pic's can be reposted with no bounces.

8. Holst

Holst Addicted Member

My ST-5100 which is at RadioX for a tune up. Fellow Sony people, we belong!!!

Attached Files:

• 5100.jpg
      5100.jpg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Yamaha B-2

Belong? Hell!! Sony Rules!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Along with Yamaha, of course. :D

10. bordeno

bordeno Super Member

I have two vintage Sonys. And absolutely love them both. The 7065 has the best tuner section of all my receivers/ tuners and is better than my Sansui TU-717 and Pioneer TX-9100. Fantastic unit.

Attached Files:

JR DePlateau likes this.
  11. axel

axel Super Member

I wouldn't have dared to start such a thread, in fear of a probable "- oh, no, not him again, geez, wazz' he got wit' Sony anyway?"
    But since YB-2 did, I might as well hop in :D

Unfortunately, there's not much "vintage" as my tastes in vintage Sony would prove much too oppressive on my bank account - the TC-880-2, APM-6 or TA-E900 will be for another... life I suppose. And I wouldn't have room or real actual use for them anyway.
    The images below show what I have although not always the actual units - being a photographer, it is normal I have no proper images of my own!

The ST-S707ES is long gone (fair unit but not missed at all), the ESPRIT TA-D900 too (missed for the sake of rarity). Not shown is the KV-X video monitor and some other nitty-gritty like the MDR-V6 and V9 headphones...

DTC-1000ES
    DTC-2000ES
    CDP-X777ES
    TA-E80ES
    TA-N80ES
    TA-N86B (2x)
    LDP-2000
    MDP-700
    TC-FX1010
    crème de la crème: TA-N7B
    crème de la crème, heavy style: TTS-8000 + TB-2000

Sony owners unite!

Attached Files:

JR DePlateau and Outta Ammo like this.
  12. Dynacoman

Dynacoman Active Member

How about the new Sony CD's? Garunteed to destroy any PC. :D

13. john_w

john_w Miscreant

AK is probably not the most pro-Walkman place on the web, at least not any more than it's pro-MP3 or IPod, but my little WM-D6 kicked butt against several console tape decks.

No pics as of yet.

14. Yamaha B-2

This is the Vintage Forum. You should move your post to the proper forum.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  15. gyusher

gyusher -don't go round hungry-

Str-5800sd

I have owned a couple STR-4800s and now I have a just about perfect STR-5800SD that has the absolute best AM tuner in the land. . . FM is pretty darn good too. . ./

16. Brian

Brian An Old Geezer

Okay let's see what I can do. I do not own anything as modern as a digital camera - hey I'm vintage all the way. The photos represent what I have but are the property of others and I give credit to each, whomever they may be.

The Sony STR-6060FW including interior with and without the case. The photo of the 1 with case is a new find whom the seller has stated is 100% working (where have I heard that before) and I've agreed to purchase if it is.

The 1 showing the interior I bought as 100% checked out with the stereo working and controls clean and all lights fully functional. Guess what? The stereo demultiplexer did not work, the dial and meter lights were all out and every control was noisy plus the amps were running hot enough to fry and egg on 1 and the other, make toast. The amp issue has been corrected and it shows that though the 1 I run is running cool that possibly it too needs a bit of capacitor TLC. The repaired amp unit has a bit more authority without losing the air and detail is better without picking up any harshness or edge. So I have 1 with a good amp, 1 with a good demultiplex and 2 with good front ends. If need be I will cannibalize all 3 to get a good 1 if the pending unit is not as represented.

Sony STR 6065 with case. This receiver I've owned longer than any other receiver ever and currenlty is in need of a set of bulbs but I can not get it away from Jr. (I think he fears for its retrun.) I've offered him anything from my inventory and also promised to return it to him but, no go. I suspect it and the A/D/S L-300s (he, finally decided that these bested the stacked Minimus 7s) are going to go to law school and beyond with him along with the very early Koss headset that came with the Lowery organ and marked as such.

Will locate a STR 6045 for ya'll.

Attached Files:

17. ByrdWyngs

ByrdWyngs Well-Known Member

I've got two STR-6800SD receivers, one is in very nice original shape the other was pretty rough so I did a cosmetic update on it with black paint on top and 'black ash' vinyl on the side panels replacing the mangled 'walnut'. Also have PS-X70, PS-X600 Biotracer, and PS-LX5 turntables, TC-K555 and TC-K60 cassette decks, and a CDP-C75ES CD changer. And of course 'The Stack' - TAN-5550 VFET amp, TAE-5450 preamp, ST-4950 tuner, and TC-209 cassette deck. Here are some pic's of most of them.

Attached Files:

18. Brian

Brian An Old Geezer

Lastly, the STR 6045. Mine has the interesting 3 piece wood cabinet.

Funny, I remember that just a short time ago rather less than favorable remarks this marque was receiving on this board. We now have what 6 design generations (6060 and 2000/3200/1120/5000 preamp/amp/integrated/tuner, 6065 period, 7065 period, x8oo period, V series period and VFET series) of designs as being well talked of. I think it beats the # of generations of Marantz and possibly others.

Attached Files:

• b1_3.JPG
      b1_3.JPG
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
  19. absolon

absolon Super Member

TA 2000F, TA 3200F, ST5000F, TC177SD and TC 352D coming when I can find the pictures on my harddrive.

20. Thumpy

Thumpy Well-Known Member

How about this Sony ICR-120 from about 1970? As you can see, it's not much larger than a 9-volt battery and has a tiny speaker (about one inch) built in.

Attached Files: