Show Us Your Sonys!!!

+1 on Casper at Stereo Rehab. He's not only a great tech but also a good, trustworthy guy. He can fix or upgrade just about anything, but his specialties are tube gear and as you say vintage Sony, especially the early stuff. He has a nice collection of Sony STR-6060 receivers, all of which he's rebuilt. One of them came from.... me.
;)

I've taken your all's advice and contacted him. He replied quickly with a lot of great info. I ended up sending my 1120 to him and it's waiting for its turn on the table now. The more I read about the 1120 (non-A) the more I want to hear it restored. It appears to be a little more rare than the 1120A and a more interesting circuit design in the pre-amp. I'm very curious to see how it sounds compared to my TA-1130 and STR-6120 both of which are all original and probably in need of a refresh.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I still have my STR-6800SD and love it... but as soon as my new lamps arrive I'm pulling it apart for some quality DeoxIT time...
sony.jpg

This is what happens when your friends know you are into audio gear.
HST-58s are given to you.

Attachments

• 20170830_132005.jpg
    20170830_132005.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 61
@arky18
I just saw that you finished the TA-N9 restoration , impressive! I'm still in the process. Did you convert the Amp to 220V, did you have to change something else by doing so? I was told that the Japanese SM is not helpful for the AEP version because the specs differ quite a bit.

@arky18
I just saw that you finished the TA-N9 restoration , impressive! I'm still in the process. Did you convert the Amp to 220V, did you have to change something else by doing so? I was told that the Japanese SM is not helpful for the AEP version because the specs differ quite a bit.

Yes, I have converted my pair to 220V. Fortunately, it is simple as that - HF Trafo in PSU has two primaries (green and brown wires). So so just connect them in series and change all 125-160V caps before invertor to 400V. Also change R901 from 100K to 200K and R900 from 18 to 33 ohm, R326 from 18K to 33K. If you your Q901-Q908 are MN8301C, than leave them as is. If they are 2SC2626, then change to 2SC2625. Don't forget to swap large black can, 10000uf/160v to something 400V, otherwise you'll have a beautiful firework =)

oh I certainly don't want that, Nono! unfortunately I am not a tech, so just gathering all the necessary information and I am very glad to have found someone who has worked on them. Mine are original 220V versions, one has been partial restored inkl new old sk173/2sj54, but my tech doesn't want to proceed any further because he does not trust the Japanese SM with my AEP version. The changes you wrote about are only to the Power supply?

oh I certainly don't want that, Nono! unfortunately I am not a tech, so just gathering all the necessary information and I am very glad to have found someone who has worked on them. Mine are original 220V versions, one has been partial restored inkl new old sk173/2sj54, but my tech doesn't want to proceed any further because he does not trust the Japanese SM with my AEP version. The changes you wrote about are only to the Power supply?

yes, those changes only to the power supply. The difference is not between Japanese/AEP versions of the amp, but is between the two REVISIONS of the amp itself. Bothe revisions were available either for Japan and AEP region. There are "older" revision up to the #50 serial number, which is 100% corresponding to the service manual. As well there is a "newer" revision, which is slightly different, with upgraded service boards, more protection etc. I have both revisions, so actually I can confirm the main board with power amplifier can be fully restored with existing Japanese SM. Poweramp mainboards are 100% the same in both revisions. Sensible differences are only in preamp sub-board: switching class a/b will switch the preamp voltage - this option is absent in "older" rev which has the same voltage for preamp in either a/b class. As for myself - I like "older" revision most, as it is more "audiophile" - clear routes, no excessive parts, no extra protection over protection, everything is more simple. Newer revision seems to be customised for professional use.

you sure know your stuff! Mine are the older version then. If you would be located a bit closer I would be sending my N9 out right away.

Progress on my tts8000. A new pcb arrived to replace the very bad old pcb. I am also working on a replacement for the OKI msm5576 ic. I think I found a modern substitute.

Back
Top Bottom