Show us your Technics stuff

I'm working on replacing the damaged speaker posts on the back of my sa-818. Can you tell me in which way you replaced yours? I'd assume there is an aluminium plate where the new posts are mounted on?
Have a look at post 913 of this thread, it's how I did my SU-3500, maybe it's similar ?

Originally they were screw terminals, that's the original on the photo below.

IMG_2549.jpg

I built it myself, all you need is an aluminium plate (mine was 1.5mm thick) and some binding posts. mine were cheap ones from ebay, they have more or less the same spaces between + and - as the original.

Oddly enough I just took these pics for another purpose.
Technics SB-TF200 Speakers. Lucasfilms THX Audio Certified ( IE: dispersion controlled)
I acquired them because they looked similar the the M&K S5000thx speakers I was using at the time. They ended up being pretty damn impressive. I hung on to them for years. I've never run across another set or any of the matching components ( passive woofers, or the surrounds.)

Hometheater speakers ? Apparently the SB-TF200's didn't get that memo. :) They do a great impression of a kick-ass 2 channel stereo speaker system (paired with an appropriate powered sub)

DSC_0080.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0083.JPG
DSC_0084.JPG

Last edited:
My beloved SU-A4 pre-amp has been a bit troublesome ever since, as it was thermally unstable. I had it open for realignment multiple times; once the right MC side cut out completely (DC offset drifted from 0mV to a whopping -22.5V!), then it run insanely hot, and finally the right MC stage started to produce nastly popping noises every now and then.
I always suspected the reason for the pre going nuts being the crusty trimpots built into the machine: the slightly better ones are the big round blue dishes (you can see them in my SE-A3 in the post just above this one), but the MC stage has two very nasty little fellows that are virtually impossible to adjust correctly; a mere touch with a screwdriver makes them jump about.

So yesterday I was fed up and replaced everything with top grade stuff, being spindle trimmers by Bourns.

MC riser board with one trimpot replaced:

Job completed (top to bottom: MC stage, phono MM/EQ/amp stage, right output stage, left output stage):

All innards of the SU-A4:

The effort spent to create this unit back in 1980 was beyond imagination. Remember that this is only a pre-amplifier! It clearly shows that it is one of the best ever made: the phono stages are fantastic, the beefy output means an output resistance of 0.2 Ohms (!!), and the parametric EQ section is a dream to use.
Technics sure knows what they are doing.

Is the 1600 one of the more reliable Technics TTs?
I would really like to find one smoe day.
I have the D2 now and it is a goodun but I like all the knobs up top
under the dustcover.
That 1600 looks soo good IMO. And specs are at the top for rumble and W/F, as is my D2.

Last edited:
I'd always recommend one of the following turntables: SL-1100, SL-1200, SL-1300*, 1400†, 1500; SL-1600*, 1700†, 1800; SL-1600MK2*, 1700MK2†, 1800MK2.
A bit less expensive: SL-1900*, SL-Q2†, SL-Q3*, SL-Q33*

*fully-automatic, †semi-automatic, (no indicator) manual

So yes, the SL-1600 is a very good turntable, regardless of it being a MK1 or MK2. Just one slight caveat: as it seems the MK2 version sometimes has a pitch indicator speed chip go bad. Nothing one couldn't fix though. Especially the MK1 is an indestructable workhorse.

For completeness: SL-1300MK2/1400MK2/1500MK2 are magnificent. However, they all require a plastic part in the tonearm mechanism to be replaced.

Amazing MC pickup! Features the double coil system (visible in the second picture, below the cantilever), patented by Matsushita and also used in their highest-end MC systems like the EPC-305MC. Also has the single-point suspended stylus. What it doesn't have and what sets the highest end models apart from it (i.e., the 305MC series) is a boron cantilever. This one's made of titanium nitride (like the EPA-100 tonearm). Still boosts a completely flat frequency response from 10Hz to 50kHz. Sound is wonderful; a tiny bit on the treble side compared to an EPC-205C-IIL MM pickup, but just about as distortion-free as it gets and very pleasing to the ears.

Last edited:
There's no real name for it, but here's a thread on Vinylengine about it here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67144&start=30
The replacement part can be ordered here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HWP456QNW/technics-sl-1300-1400-1500-mk2-cueing-steel-bushi
https://www.shapeways.com/product/MWWSP6BNY/technics-sl-1300-1400-1500-mk2-cueing-bronze-bush
(make sure you order the right one, check the innards of your turntable first)

Once again, this only applies to the SL-1300MK2, 1400MK2, 1500MK2 and the respective black versions (i.e., 1310MK2, 1410MK2 and 1510MK2).

WOW Im seeing that technics made some pretty fancy stuff in their hayday.
Nice looking gear.
I have 2 pieces only..........SLD2 TT & dual 7 band EQ.

There's no real name for it, but here's a thread on Vinylengine about it here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67144&start=30
The replacement part can be ordered here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HWP456QNW/technics-sl-1300-1400-1500-mk2-cueing-steel-bushi
https://www.shapeways.com/product/MWWSP6BNY/technics-sl-1300-1400-1500-mk2-cueing-bronze-bush
(make sure you order the right one, check the innards of your turntable first)

Once again, this only applies to the SL-1300MK2, 1400MK2, 1500MK2 and the respective black versions (i.e., 1310MK2, 1410MK2 and 1510MK2).

Thanks Mac. Seeing as how I refrain AMAP from tearing this type of machine apart, as opposed to amps and such,
Im inclined to avoid the 13,14,15 series TT entirely. Mostly for my peac of mind. Too much teedium to deal with.
Thanks a bunch for all the TT info. I will use it in my search for another Technics TT. Not that I need too.

Don't worry, replacing this part is a bit fiddly in the first place, but doable. I actually had my 1310MK2 apart at least six times because I had to sand down the replacement part several times as it was either too thick or too rough. In the end, however, it has paid off and the turntable is an absolute joy to use.

I'll get this party started with my dedicated music system I use with the computer....pardon the pic, the lighting is poor.

PA210016.jpg

Equipment from top to bottom: SH-4060 timer, SU-8055 integrated amp, RS-M33 cassette deck (with Weird Al tape) and an ST-8055 digital tuner. The black thing on top is my Icom IC-208H VHF/UHF ham radio.

I'm not sure why, but I dont see an option to post here... hence the "reply"... anyway - I only have one piece of Technics equipment, however I really love it. I have the SE 9060 amplifier, and I have to say that it sounds equally as good as most of the tube equipment I have had. I have it paired with a Carver C1 preamp which I love because of the Sonic holography, but I am interested in putting the carver up against the matching Technics preamp. On a different note, I'm amazed by how many people don't know about Technics professional line of equipment... and who are unaware of the quality of that line. Some of the stuff that Technics put out was beyond superb. I can say from experience that this amp is far better built than anything I've seen from a majority of other manufacturers, and even counting equipment in significantly higher price brackets. The only thing I don't like about it is the speaker connectors on the back. I would prefer to use banana plugs, but they work, and teplacing them would be difficult.

Attachments

• 1494493112589-1355125845.jpg
    1494493112589-1355125845.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom