Show your headphone amplifier

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by boza, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Be sure to check the pin out. Lots of tubes can have subs that will work, but the pin out might be different. Like the 12ax7 and 6eu7. Same tube internally, but the pins are connected differently so the socket would have to be rewired. That's tuff to do with a printed circuit board.

boza likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wolfman181

Wolfman181 Active Member

Yes, it is a seven pin. Here is a picture of the 6J3 close up of the tube itself. The 5654's came in today. They look fine and are 7 pin. I have not had a chance to try them bit will tonight. In the instructions it states they are a replacement for the 6J1. Funny that it does say that it would replace the 6J3 but in the listing from nobsound they say it will. Hhhhmmmmm.

Attached Files:

Lavane and boza like this.
  3. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

If the 6j3's aren't noisy, replacing the 6j1's with the 5654's will probably have the most impact with how it sounds.

Wolfman181 and boza like this.
  4. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

5. MX117.MC7150

MX117.MC7150 Listener Subscriber

Some nice gear shown here.

Have a couple of Woo's WA6 amps. One in black & one in silver. Guess I like them. ;) Does a great job with my LCD-3, Clear & 650 headphones. Will be selling the Bryston BHA-1 as I prefer tubes for headphones, which is too bad (for me) as I was trying to go all solid-state.
    WA6.jpg

csericks, judsonw, boza and 2 others like this.
  6. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

Whenever I have a lot more money, the Woo WA6-SE is the next amp I want to get.

7. Wolfman181

Wolfman181 Active Member

So I bought a Fx-Audio Tube-03 to see if it would help between my phone and my amp. It lasted like four minutes before the power supply sent out. When it was working the tubes it came with, 6j4's, sounded like crap. I used one off my headphone amp but the whole thing has quit. So back it goes for one more try. Plus going to use a pair of 5654W's. We shall see if the next one is any better. Maybe I will try it between my chromecast and amp.

8. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Do you want just a headphone amplifier or does the amp need to also drive a power amplifier?

9. Wolfman181

Wolfman181 Active Member

I have a nobsound headphone amp and preamp already. This one is not a headphone amp. It's more like a preamp that gives some tube color to what you run through it. It does add some output volume but not alot. It has both bass and treble controls along with volume. It does not have a ground on it. So it works for CD players, Dac's, tape decks and phone as long as you run it to a phone input. You can use it as a preamp into an amp to give it a volume control also.

10. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

boza likes this.
  11. Wolfman181

Wolfman181 Active Member

12. Wolfman181

Wolfman181 Active Member

So the Fx-audio replacement showed up yesterday. Got it set up today. First, the tubes they sent looked used. The pins were bent. Some quite badly. When I tried the unit the left channel did not work at all. Tried different cables, different setups and no difference until I changed out the tubes to a set of 5654W's. Works nice now and sounds really great. I tried it as a preamp for my Marantz 1090. Added some nice effects to the whole system. And yes, it did add volume too. I have it now in between the phone and the phone input. No hum at all either way I set it up. Its nice to have the extra bass and treble controls. But this one two the power supply is a piece of crap. I am going to switch it out first chance I get. Other than that nice unit for the money.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    boza likes this.