Show your headphone amplifier

Here are my two headphone amps. My amp at work is a Garage1217 Project Sunrise III driving AKG x Massdrop K7XXs.

My home amp is an APPJ PA1502A with uprated coupling and cathode caps. Right now it's driving my HiFiMan HE-500s.

Wow! How gently does that design push those KT66s?

:eek2:

Most guitar amp designs that use two KT66s are running about 35-45 watts! Granted, they are striving for at least a bit of power tube breakup, but still!

:p

Wow! How gently does that design push those KT66s? Most guitar amp designs that use two KT66s are running about 35-45 watts! Granted, they are striving for at least a bit of power tube breakup, but still!

I'd say, "very gently!" The max plate voltage is only 210V. The APPJ originally came with 6P6P (Chinese military 6V6GT) power tubes and it still works best with 6V6 and similar. My favorites for power tubes in this amp are vintage T-S 6V6GTs and Mullard EL33s.

I got the Russian T-S KT66s lightly used for cheap. I bought them to prove 6L6s could be used in this amp - the T-S KT66s have the same heater current rating and similar ratings elsewhere as a 6L6. I can't use other KT66s because they draw 1.3A, which is too much for the APPJ to handle (max 1.25A for power tubes).

However, changing the coupling caps from 0.1uf to 0.47uf is the best mod you can make to the APPJ. The amount of sonic improvement, especially to detail, was impressive. It turned the APPJ from a good amp to an outstanding amp!

index.php

I'd say, "very gently!" The max plate voltage is only 210V. The APPJ originally came with 6P6P (Chinese military 6V6GT) power tubes and it still works best with 6V6 and similar. My favorites for power tubes in this amp are vintage T-S 6V6GTs and Mullard EL33s.

I got the Russian T-S KT66s lightly used for cheap. I bought them to prove 6L6s could be used in this amp - the T-S KT66s have the same heater current rating and similar ratings elsewhere as a 6L6. I can't use other KT66s because they draw 1.3A, which is too much for the APPJ to handle (max 1.25A for power tubes).

However, changing the coupling caps from 0.1uf to 0.47uf is the best mod you can make to the APPJ. The amount of sonic improvement, especially to detail, was impressive. It turned the APPJ from a good amp to an outstanding amp!

You should try the Garage1217 Project Sunrise with a linear PSU. I can almost guarantee you'd swap that over to your home setup if you do so and use a nice clean tube (new production Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 are surprisingly impressive, but I also really love 6N6P tubes).

Revise'd heatsink's on my nobsound ns-08e op amps
View attachment 1052844
My nobsound is tube front and end single ended. One output transistor per channel. Thats not a bad idea. I'll have to try and roundup a couple very small heatsinks since they are SMD's. What adhesive did you use to attach the heat sinks?

Only cause someone thought it was funny :). But it does sound better streaming Spotify Premium> CCA > FiiO D3> Aux input than same from my laptop > Schitt Fulla or Aune.
:beerchug:
95C4E660-1070-4AD4-AB8F-A67369D92164.jpeg

Going to steal your idea, I travel a lot for work and have the same case unused sitting on a shelf.
Cool. Hope to see some pics. If you want to cut the foam as cleanly as possible look into a DIY hot wire cutter. I used a jig saw so it’s rough. Still works fine though.

My nobsound is tube front and end single ended. One output transistor per channel. Thats not a bad idea. I'll have to try and roundup a couple very small heatsinks since they are SMD's. What adhesive did you use to attach the heat sinks?

I used double sided thermal tape.
I recently changed them for one bigger one.
20171125_122530.jpg
The tape holds it pretty solid. The heatsink is one i cut down out of a old pc.

I have 600 ohm Beyer DT880's arriving on Wednesday.
I saw discussion on head-fi that receivers won't typically drive these well.
I use a Marantz 2275 in good condition but unrestored to my knowledge.
I'm not a member at hifiengine so I can't DL the specsheet and don't have an OM for it.

I sorta panicked and ordered a JDSLABS Objective2 by NwAvGuy after many hours of frustrating research.
Will my 2275 power these 600ohm cans well or is a dedicated amp truly necessary with this old 75W receiver?

Last edited:
Gemtune APPJ PA 1502a

Adding more tubes into my life, this guy arrived today and I immediately rolled new Electro-Harmonix and Genalex Gold Lion power and preamp Tubes in place of the stock tubes. Sounds fantastic and can’t wait until the tubes burn in!

095A455B-E14E-4BE9-BCA8-3E418ED07072.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom