Show your headphone amplifier

"Vintage" Musical Fidelity Set up, paired up with some custom Grados ( but I mainly use Oppo PM-2 heaphones and a benchmark DAC-1 HDR )

My full "collection" of Musical Fidelity X-ponent series units is borderline cuckoo, but we all have our vices I suppose.
I need to update this pic since the Grado's have morphed a little since this image was taken.

_DSC2788.jpg

"Vintage" Musical Fidelity Set up, paired up with some custom Grados ( but I mainly use Oppo PM-2 heaphones and a benchmark DAC-1 HDR )

My full "collection" of Musical Fidelity X-ponent series units is borderline cuckoo, but we all have our vices I suppose.
I need to update this pic since the Grado's have morphed a little since this image was taken.

View attachment 1361042
Thats nice :thumbsup:

Here is what I chose for my first attempt at tube rolling..
(1) New Sophia 274B paired with (3) NOS Amperex military 6922 from the early 60’s
Definitely more extension and clarity on the top end ( cymbal hits have more clarity between each hit ) ..
The soundstage might have a little more air / holographic presentation..
A little pricey for somewhat better sound, but I ain’t pulling this Tube complement any time soon..
Sounds great with both the Headphones and the Tekton’s..

8BAE7AB2-7DBA-47AE-8819-F1D0E1CA1F98.jpeg D0EDC445-4560-4C44-8CBF-E02ED30B50FC.jpeg F6895A5F-9228-47DC-AD2F-AD1D82A6B9FA.jpeg

First time using headphones - within my budget I went with a Schiit Magni 3, HiFiMan HE 400i headphones ( used via Craigslist for 150.00 ) along with digital out from a Denon DVD 2800 ( Craigslist for 20.00 ) playing CDs through a Musical Fidelity V Dac into the Magni 3. Using a pair of older Straightwire Encore 2 interconnects I had lying around. Thinking of getting Schiit's Loki equalizer in the near future just to have the flexibility. Perfect for the bedroom setup as I have a usb cable from a Mac Mini when listening to music via the internet.

Need to replace one of the drivers on a pair of Audio Technica MX40s - not going to probably like them as much as the HiFiMan as they arrived non working so have yet to try them. Price was right though.

A46wz36.jpg

Last edited:
First time using headphones - within my budget I went with a Schiit Magni 3, HiFiMan HE 400i headphones ( used via Craigslist for 150.00 ) along with digital out from a Denon DVD 2800 ( Craigslist for 20.00 ) for playing CDs through a Musical Fidelity V Dac into the Magni 3. Using a pair of older Straightwire Encore 2 interconnects I had lying around. Thinking of getting Schiit's Loki equalizer in the near future just to have the flexibility. Perfect for the bedroom setup as I have a usb cable from a Mac Mini when listening to music via the internet.

Need to replace one of the drivers on a pair of Audio Technica MX40s - not going to probably like them as much as the HiFiMan as they arrived non working so have yet to try them. Price was right though.

A46wz36.jpg
I just got my magni 3 in the mail yesterday. I am really impressed with the super clean sound even with my cheap Samson SR850 headphones. I am considering the Loki eq also as I am listening to mostly vinyl. Pristine records sound great most of the time but a lot of my records aren't pristine. I still have the records that I bought as a kid in the 70's if that isn't enough, my college years were kind of hard on them in the 80's. I think that the eq might help to mask some of the abuse my records received back then. I would be interested to know how you like the Loki if you get it.
Thanks a lot,
Gene

Well it is possible that I might to purchase a Loki for awhile yet, but if I do end up with one before you I will definitely share my thoughts - with such a wide variance in recordings, components and listening preferences the ability to have control over the frequencies is actually a good thing.

I always find myself regretting the fact that years ago I practically gave away a collection of audiophile records such as Sheffield Labs and others, around 50 at the time for around 50 dollars, that was in the mid '80's when CDs were coming onto their own. One dollar each, and some were certainly on the rare side. I have no doubt the record store made a few dollars in profit but that is life.Admittedly I had sold my turntable and have never used any since but have been entertaining the idea of setting one up in my system, the thought of collecting records has put a damper on that to a degree, though a small number would be alright we all know were that tends to lead!

Well it is possible that I might to purchase a Loki for awhile yet, but if I do end up with one before you I will definitely share my thoughts - with such a wide variance in recordings, components and listening preferences the ability to have control over the frequencies is actually a good thing.

I always find myself regretting the fact that years ago I practically gave away a collection of audiophile records such as Sheffield Labs and others, around 50 at the time for around 50 dollars, that was in the mid '80's when CDs were coming onto their own. One dollar each, and some were certainly on the rare side. I have no doubt the record store made a few dollars in profit but that is life.Admittedly I had sold my turntable and have never used any since but have been entertaining the idea of setting one up in my system, the thought of collecting records has put a damper on that to a degree, though a small number would be alright we all know were that tends to lead!

Funny, I was buying a lot of records when cd's were getting popular. There were a lot of good records for $1.00 a piece back then. I also bought a lot of cd's at $16.00 a piece. I am thinking about getting a better cd player now that they are cheap. As far as the eq goes, I will probably upgrade my headphones first but then again, a lot of high end headphones seem to be getting cheaper so I might be better off to buy a Loki first and see if the headphones that I want get any cheaper. I should probably think more about making some money instead of dreaming about spending it. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20181225_205152_hdr_kindlephoto-252346476.jpg
    IMG_20181225_205152_hdr_kindlephoto-252346476.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 20
This is my first time with headphone amp and preamp. And the first for tube type. Merry Christmas from my wife. She knows me well. They are both Nobsound. These new ones by the website are updated with new tubes and better sockets. I am planning on using my new Koss Pro4AA's. I had a set of these back in the day and loved them. Specs show they should work well with the amp. If they don't work out I do have a few other options. One being a pair of Sennheiser HDR 120's. Looking forward to doing some tube rolling once my cables come in and I can set up the amp and preamp.
ROCK ON.
1545828600919385676959871712505.jpg

Here is what I chose for my first attempt at tube rolling..
(1) New Sophia 274B paired with (3) NOS Amperex military 6922 from the early 60’s
Definitely more extension and clarity on the top end ( cymbal hits have more clarity between each hit ) ..
The soundstage might have a little more air / holographic presentation..
A little pricey for somewhat better sound, but I ain’t pulling this Tube complement any time soon..
Sounds great with both the Headphones and the Tekton’s..

View attachment 1363065 View attachment 1363066 View attachment 1363067

When I had my CP3 I found Amperex sounded great in the center slot. The back two slots are not as critical to sound as long as the tubes were to spec and quiet.

I've gone a different way than most here. I have a couple CMOY headphone amps I bought from JDS Labs more than 10 years ago. They have served me well, both for portable and home use. For home use I powered them with a wall wart. Before I got a DAC, I used it to connect my portable player to my stereo. The amp boosted the player signal enough to make the sound so much better on my home system.

CMOY HP amp IMG_0702 small.JPG CMOY HP amp inside IMG_0703 small.JPG

So I have my nobsound up and running through my Marantz 1090 amp and into the Koss's. Listening to now infact and sounds good but am ready for a few different tubes to see what these little guys can do with better tubes. Currently the amp has 6J3's and the pre has 6J1's. Any suggestions on what to try to give better than current sound. As stated, new to tube amps. Thanks.

So I have my nobsound up and running through my Marantz 1090 amp and into the Koss's. Listening to now infact and sounds good but am ready for a few different tubes to see what these little guys can do with better tubes. Currently the amp has 6J3's and the pre has 6J1's. Any suggestions on what to try to give better than current sound. As stated, new to tube amps. Thanks.
JAN 5654W for the 6j1. The 6j1is a seven pin tube right? I couldn't find anything to sub for the 6J3.

JAN 5654W for the 6j1. The 6j1is a seven pin tube right? I couldn't find anything to sub for the 6J3.

Yes, it's a seven pin. If you look at the sale listing it shows a large compatible tube list from the company but that does not mean they are good choices. The.5654 is on it too. As a set can cost a few bucks to take a stab at it could get expensive in the end. Thank you for your input.

@Wolfman181 The JAN's should be a good choice. I used a set in a nobsound hybrid headphone amp and they sounded much better and quieter too. Did you find anything to replace the 6J3's ? I couldn't find anything.

Yes, it's a seven pin. If you look at the sale listing it shows a large compatible tube list from the company but that does not mean they are good choices. The.5654 is on it too. As a set can cost a few bucks to take a stab at it could get expensive in the end. Thank you for your input.
I found one substitution chart that listed the 6AG5 as a sub for the 6J3. I would download the data sheets for both and compare them to make sure the pin out is the same. Also check the heater current needed to make sure the 6AG5 doesn't draw more amprage than the 6J3. Unless you can find the amp rating for the 6.3 volt heater winding on the power transformer and it can handle more current I wouldn't want to try it if the 6AG5's draw more.

So here is the full list of tubes for the replacement of the 6j3's that can go into the amp. The preamp can take the 5654's and I do have a set coming.
6J1, 6ж1П, 6AK5, 6BC5, 403A/B, 5654, EF40, EF95, CV850, 6J2, 6ж2П, 6AS6, CV2522, EF11/732, CV4011, 6J3, 6ж3П, EF96, CV848, 6BC6, 6AG5, 6J4, 6ж4, 6136, 6BX6, 6AC7, EF94, 6AU6, 6J5, 6ж5П, EF80, CV2521, 6F36, 6AH6, 6AN5, 6K4, 6K5, 6K4П, 6BA6, 6DA6, EF89/93, 5749.
So I do still need to do more research on this to see if someone has any suggestions. My hope is to use something other than a second set of 5654's to bring out a bit more from the setup. Something that will help the preamp with bass and treble output and separation. If that possible.

Back
Top Bottom